cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

computer won't go to a bookmarked site ?

DKean
Explorer
Explorer
When I try to go to site in my bookmarks my computer brings up an ad page.
Mozilla fire fox,windows 10.

This just started a few days ago. I didn't do any downloads or make any changes. I was going to do a computer reset. Then I would have to reload everything that was deleted. :h
We now have a 2018 Ford Explorer,2wheel drive.
6 REPLIES 6

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
First, a browser, like Firefox or Chrome, has very little to do with a computer's OS (Windows 10), unless you have a virus.

DFord wrote:
Download and install MalwareBytes on your damaged machine. Then run a scan with it. MalwareBytes has a free version that can be run manually where the paid version runs full time in the background to protect you. It will find and remove the BS on your PC.

MalwareBytes Download Page

Some anti-virus software may prevent you from going to a website because the think it is "dangerous"/contains a virus.

The other tool, I live by is CCleaner. Not only does is "clean up" various unneeded files on your hard drive it also cleans up the registry. I have been using the FREE version of CCleaner for years on multiple computer with no issues. (Don't install any of the "optional" software.)

If you can download those two pieces of software you know your Internet connection is working.

If those tool do not solve you problem, you need to clear your Firefox cookies and cache (CCleaner will do this for you).

If that dose not solve your problem, see if you can manually type the URL into the address bar and it works. If not the address may be wrong or has changed. Using a different PC, verify the address.

The only way to truly "reset" Firefox is to uninstall it (CCleaner Tools, left column) and tell it not to remember any settings. Reboot, download Firefox and re-install.

Or try Chrome.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Download and install MalwareBytes on your damaged machine. Then run a scan with it. MalwareBytes has a free version that can be run manually where the paid version runs full time in the background to protect you. It will find and remove the BS on your PC.

MalwareBytes Download Page
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have that problem when the bookmarked site moves.. Or just plain goes dark.

Now for one page (Pi-star.local) I just ask the router where it went and type in the new number and it works. but that's a .local site
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
(I'm no computer expert so give my advice the attention it deserves)

If all else fails and before you reset your computer, your Firefox profile might be corrupted. Save your bookmarks - Bookmarks/Show All Bookmarks/Backup. Type "about:profiles" in your address bar. When the page loads you can create a new profile. You can import your exported bookmarks into the new profile. It's good to do this every year or so anyway to get rid of all the crud that builds up, similar to your computer registry.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Don't get carried away here.

Find the actual URL in your bookmark list.
Type that URL into the address line manually.

The site might not exist anymore.....or someone else might own the URL now.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like the content the memorized URL is pointing to has changed. this happens every now and then
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle