Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Convert winegard sk3005 to swm

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Afternoon,

Just looking for confirmation on someone who has done this..

I am thinking of buying a Winegard 3005 from craigslist and have read it can be converted to SWM model if I change the LNB to this for $91.00

http://www.satpro.tv/directv-slimline-lnb-kit.aspx

Is this correct?
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us
14 REPLIES 14

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome, thank you so very much
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You really do not want to install the SWM inside. You will make your job much more difficult than necessary. Use 4 short jumper cables to run between the base of the Trav'ler to the SWM and then connect your existing cables to the outputs. If you like, install the SWM where it is located under the reflector of the antenna when stowed.
It's fully weather proof buy you need to use compression fittings on the coax cables and some di-electric grease in the F connectors to ensure long term success.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Supplement follow up question...

Can the SWM Multiswitch be mounted on top the RV? Would make my install easier if I only had to run 1 cable from roof to a hidden location rather than 4.

That's where my SWM8 is mounted. Since there were already two coax's going from the Trav'ler to my DTV receiver we already had the one coax needed to go from the SWM to the PI29 located near the receiver. All the installer had to do was install 4 short coax's from the Trav'ler to the SWM8.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Supplement follow up question...

Can the SWM Multiswitch be mounted on top the RV? Would make my install easier if I only had to run 1 cable from roof to a hidden location rather than 4.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's correct. That's the link I provided at the start of the thread. Glad you found the answers.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Found this to be all my answers.

Covert to SWM
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Have the guy set the unit on the ground mounted to a piece of plywood and let it find the signal while he videos it. That way you can see if it really operates before you buy it.

There is a lot of stuff in that unit to go wrong.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:
As always Sir, thank you for the information. One followup question.

Do you see any issue buying a used unit? Parts if needed etc?

Depends on how good of a deal you are getting. I bought one on EBay. It looked great when it arrived. It wasn't. It would not operate. Had to ship the turret to Winegard ($70) and they reconditioned it because it was badly corroded on the inside. Cost was $450. Actually, I think they swapped it for a new one. Then it still would not get a good signal because the dish (which had not been sent) had a unnoticeable bend in it. And, that dish is peculiar to the Travler...one from a DTV truck won't work. Dish cost about $60.

I'm still ahead of what a new one would cost but I only paid about $700 for it on EBay.

Bottom line: Appearance/pictures tell you nothing. Winegard was fantastic and had everything needed. Ya take your chances with a used one. Not sure if I would do it again. LOVE the Travler! Bill was a huge help for me.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Clay L wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
No, that is not correct. You will first need to verify that the SK-3005 has 4 coax outputs available at the base and not only 3. If there are 4 then you will just need to add a SWM8 switch and a PI29 power inserter inside the coach.
There are many threads about this but you can look at the Winegard SWM setup .pdf here:
http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452282.pdf

Bill you installed my SK3005 in Jan of 2011 near Quartzsite.
Do you know if it has 4 coax outputs?
We are going to sell the rig and I would like to be able to tell a new owner if it can be converted to SWM with a SWM8.

Yes, it does. Only a few of the early 2008 SK-3005 used 3 ports. They realized the mistake early on and corrected it to allow all 4 ports to be used.

Thanks!!
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clay L wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
No, that is not correct. You will first need to verify that the SK-3005 has 4 coax outputs available at the base and not only 3. If there are 4 then you will just need to add a SWM8 switch and a PI29 power inserter inside the coach.
There are many threads about this but you can look at the Winegard SWM setup .pdf here:

We are going to sell the rig and I would like to be able to tell a new owner if it can be converted to SWM with a SWM8.

Yes, it does. Only a few of the early 2008 SK-3005 used 3 ports. They realized the mistake early on and corrected it to allow all 4 ports to be used.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only the 3 port/4 port issue. Otherwise, if you are confident that the unit actually does work and you are paying a reasonable price, the antenna is a great antenna.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
As always Sir, thank you for the information. One followup question.

Do you see any issue buying a used unit? Parts if needed etc?
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II