cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Current draw smart phone and kindle

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
How much draw can I expect from my starting battery if I am dry camping and charge my smart phone and Kindle from the cigarette lighter plug? We will be out for four days.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer
7 REPLIES 7

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I use small rechargeable Anker batteries for device recharge. When it's dead I move to the next one. Recharge the lot when on shore power or driving around.

My next small rechargeable will be something similar to the Fuse LED Power on Demand. It can jump start a car or diesel pickup. It can also charge small gadgets. Friends used it to jump start a Dodge Diesel with dead batteries last weekend. Another friend used it to jump start 4 separate vehicles in a row. Then used the same unit to charge small gadgets. The link I included will take you to the specific unit I'm talking about. There are other competitors. Either way, avoid using your coach/trailer batteries for gadgets. The small 3000mah Anker batteries helped survive the day at DisneyWorld. We would recharge our smartphone while still using it.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/fuseled-pod-jump-start-fl-pod-x3

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
My group 24 battery would only last about 3 days, just using lights, water pump, and recharge of the occasional device. It isn't good for a battery's life to be drawn below 50%, either. So last summer I spent less than $150 on a 75W solar panel and Morningstar SG-4 controller. I rigged it up to plug into my trailer's pigtail (the one that goes to the tow vehicle) and set it out in the sun. It tops off my battery every day, problem solved and I can boondock as long as the water holds out.

I sold the trailer yesterday, but you can bet I kept the panel for my next trailer!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
From my research the draw is about 1 amp each.

I will second that, 12 volt to USB devices put out 0.5 to 1.5 amps in fact you need to look hard to find good ones (1 amp or more) I have a dual port unit that can hit 2 amps.. Of course that is split between the tablet and smart phone (Got it at Big Lots looks like a letter "Y")

My phone needs at least 1 amp if used as a Navigational computer (GPS)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. We are going to Country Jam in Wi. and there will be many photos. So the battery will get drawn down each day.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

elivi8
Explorer
Explorer
Most smart phones are much closer to 2000-3000 mAH which is 2-3 amps. Not a huge draw but enough depending on how much you charge. A tablet will run closer to 4 amps.

Ryan
2012 F-150 EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow
2019 Outdoors Timber Ridge 27BHS
490 Watts of Solar

MrWizard
most smart phone batteries are around 1400MaHrs aka 1.4 ampHrs
kindle depending on display size 4.5 amp Hrs

even if you recharged both from "dead" every day, it would only be 24ampHrs
you could leave the phone pluged in 24/4 and not hurt the engine battery
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
From my research the draw is about 1 amp each.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman