cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Datron DBS 3000-300 Sat System

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
First off, I know there are not alot of these Datron's still around but Ive managed to keep mine viable for the last 10 years without any issues...Mostly! Ive done this because Ive held onto my older RCA receivers with the low speed data port which works quite well. Soooo today I get an E-mail from Direct TV that one of my receivers is "out of date" and soon will not be able to receive the Direct TV signal(I know this is likely due to the additional Satellites launched by Direct and my old receiver doesnt measure up, electronically, to any updates).

I called Direct TV and there going to send me a new receiver(free of charge), I told them that by replacing my older RCA receiver with a receiver without a low speed data port, would likely make my Sat system obsolete(at least the automatic part of it). She tells me after speaking to a supervisor that I can get a RS 232 to USB adaptor that will once again allow this connection between receiver and Control unit?

I know, I know, long winded, but my question and its a long shot, does anyone have any experience with this application(Datron receiver to newer receiver)? Many years ago I attempted the use of a newer receiver by buying a RS 232(9 pin) to phone jack adaptor.....it didnt work. I dont have much confidence that this new adaptor will work either! Anyways, just thought Id ask to see if anyone has had any success with this? Sorry for my "Epic" post.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)
7 REPLIES 7

sofar-sogood
Explorer
Explorer
Direct TV contacted me to say that my 2 receivers needed to be modified to prevent a possible fire problem. These receivers were bought outright several years ago and owned my me. When they replaced them. I noticed on my Direct TV account page that the receivers were now listed as "leased" instead of the previous listing of "owned". I called them and they confirmed that they now owned my receivers and were leasing them to me. I screamed at them and e-mailed but they wouldnt budge so I dropped them and moved over to Dish Network after purchasing 2 new receivers. I didnt want leased receivers b/c I need to have the ability to start and stop service when I want. Just FYI, Direct dosent like you to own the receivers.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
They(Direct TV) must want that old access card back pretty bad! I called yesterday early afternoon and the new receiver was at my door step before noon today! Wow!!!!!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh, in case you could not read between the lines of my previous posts......get rid of that Datron system!:p
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a bad idea on the DVR, something to consider. I always carry my portable Dish with me anyways so Im not too worried about not having the roof top system but it still make me feel good to continue to use the old technology when many were telling just get rid of that Datron system! lol :B
96 Vogue Prima Vista

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You would be better off buying a good stationary antenna (open face being my choice) and adding a DVR. Then, if you want to watch TV "in-motion" you just watch something you recorded earlier. No issues with trees, poles over-passes, etc. Just watch what you want to watch when you want to watch it!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did read a post on another Forum explaining how this person was still using his old receiver to locate the 101 Sat, then once acquired, he would switch over to the new receiver by use of an A/B switch thus allowing the new receiver to utilize its newer electronics and logic to interrept the signal received. Guess Ill wait and see what happens when this new receiver arrives and then determine what might work best. Im not worried about only getting a SD picture and I suppose Ive got my "good" use the past 10 years out of this older equip but if I can stretch it a tad longer I will.....wife wants an In-Motion one, we'll see. :B
96 Vogue Prima Vista

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have seen a couple of posts on RV forums saying that the setup you described actually does work.
Since you are only looking to the 101 satellite for the DirecTV SDTV programming, nothing has changed and there is no reason that DTV should declare your receiver out of date other than them possibly being concerned about security issues (you receiving programming you have not paid for).
Since "forever" the programming you are now receiving has come from the 101 satellite and it still will be even if they send you a new receiver.