cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct TV upgrade to Genie 2 knocks RV'rs out

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
We were due an upgrade for our Directv at home. The old system would freeze up, reboot on it's own, turned into a nightmare. We went from the Genie 1 system to the Genie 2. Awful idea.

The new system has the same exact issues as the old one The system is wireless and comes with a router looking tower.

We've had an old Directv box in our Motor homes since 2007. Well here we are, 600 miles from home, with no direct because they can't refresh the box in here since our recent "upgrade". The genie 2 system, from what I can understand only communicates to the mini boxes, wireless in the home. Not a happy camper, literally.

Just an FYI for my fellow Direct customers.

I'm gonna have to go back to the Genie 1 when we get home next month.
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
37 REPLIES 37

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Genie 3

Product description
This is the third Genie Server model to be released by DIRECTV and it's the best yet! This is the model that will work with 4K UHD broadcasts when DIRECTV starts to send them via satellite.

This model includes a SWM power inserter, reducing the mess behind your TV. It's also faster than older models and has a simplified motherboard. This unit lacks the component and composite outputs but can display that with appropriate breakout cables from its AV port.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Only the Genie 2 is a stand-alone server (brilliant on DTV's part). All previous Genie's can be used as a stand-alone receiver or in concert with other receivers and/or clients.
The Genie 2 certainly has a lot of capability. 2 4K channels plus 5 HD channels. I believe that nets out to 19 channels and associated hardware. It's large and required to stand upright - it will display a error message otherwise. Plus the hard drive and video bridge.

My take on this is that it's typically to large and requires to much ventilation to be used in a cabinet. Certainly not a closed cabinet with it's over temperature detection.

So design it as an attractive (somewhat) piece of equipment to sit on the floor. It only needs one coax and power cord and does not need any other connection for a TV. Each TV has it's own Genie Client connected via coax or wireless. My subwoofer which also sits on the floor is about the same size.

Just a WAG about what led to this design.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Genie 3? Never heard of such a thing! The Genie 2 is a completely different beast than any previous Genie as it does not connect to a TV and acts as a server. What's a Genie 3?
"My Equipment" listing on directv.com has it as Genie Gen 3. It's a HR54-500. Did I call it the wrong thing?

What you have is a GenieI
There were two flavors of GenieI HR44XXX and HR54XXX. Both are GenieIs.
GenieII is a different animal. Accorsing to the Direct techs thst have been to the house recently they are having major issues with GenieII software. Even worse than they are having with the GenieIs.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW From the old days I have a 18" round SD DTV dish hanging in my garage. Maybe I can repurpose it into something else. Might be great for kids to communicate to space ships. :@ :B

Certainly better than the old string tin can communications!

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
SWM is single wire multiswitch, ie one coax for multiple channels.

Dish might be a option for you but you may may/not be able to convert your in motion MH dish.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Posting your model numbers should help.

SD is standard definition TV. That transmission goes away in 2019 and SD dishes and receivers will be history. HD high definition will of course continue as will UHD/4K ultra HD which is one of the Genie 2 features.

You pay DTV to activate receivers that you use in the MH. However, typically DTV has nothing to do with a RV. They don't install dishes, coax, receivers or troubleshoot RVs. You for example had CW install your in motion dish which will also be history in 2019.

SD elimination is very real and folks are getting DTV notices to upgrade their SD equipment. There are many posts on this board and others about SD elimination.

Basically you are responsible for the MH either DIY or a vendor. I agree that they knew about your MH receivers and should have notified you of the Genie 2 change.

However since you've had continuing home issues that needs to be resolved IMHO. Also you need to get on board with the changes with DTV and how that effects the MH because IMHO DTV will not service/help with the MH.

Bob

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
RJL, I don't understand your home issue in that neither the Genie 1 or Genie 2 work correctly at home. Again get that problem fixed.

DTV is dropping SD transmission in 2019 which means that your in motion dish and MH receivers (I'm assuming all SD equipment) will no longer work, regardless of what account you have.

In 2014 I realized the SD future was limited and trashed my in motion dish and installed a RF Mogul SWM dish. At that point I had a HR24 receiver that I used at home and in the RV. In April of that year I upgraded the home dish to SWM and replaced the HR24 with the HR44. I've never had any problems with the Genie 1 HR44 at home and in the RV.

You can certainly take and use the Genie 2 and one or more mini clients in the MH. But you will need a dish that supports SWM possibly with SWM8 conversion equipment.

However I remain leary of reliable Genie WiFi operation.

OK. I have ZERO clue what your'e talking about. I pay Directv a good chunk of money each and every month to make what they install in my home work properly. This includes my MH, which I told them I have and the sole reason I have Directv. I'm a hands on enough guy, fix most of everything I have, mechanically. I feel Direct should be DIRECT with me and tell me what's going on and fix the **** they gave me. After all I'M PAYING FOR IT!!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
RJL, I don't understand your home issue in that neither the Genie 1 or Genie 2 work correctly at home. Again get that problem fixed.

DTV is dropping SD transmission in 2019 which means that your in motion dish and MH receivers (I'm assuming all SD equipment) will no longer work, regardless of what account you have.

In 2014 I realized the SD future was limited and trashed my in motion dish and installed a RF Mogul SWM dish. At that point I had a HR24 receiver that I used at home and in the RV. In April of that year I upgraded the home dish to SWM and replaced the HR24 with the HR44. I've never had any problems with the Genie 1 HR44 at home and in the RV.

You can certainly take and use the Genie 2 and one or more mini clients in the MH. But you will need a dish that supports SWM possibly with SWM8 conversion equipment.

However I remain leary of reliable Genie WiFi operation.

Bob

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Genie 3? Never heard of such a thing! The Genie 2 is a completely different beast than any previous Genie as it does not connect to a TV and acts as a server. What's a Genie 3?
"My Equipment" listing on directv.com has it as Genie Gen 3. It's a HR54-500. Did I call it the wrong thing?
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

OP, From your post you have a home problem that wasn't fixed with the upgrade. Still the same problems. Why do you think going back to the Genie 1 at home is going to fix anything?

On my old system, the Genie 1 garbage, I was able to use the box in my motorhome. On the Genie 2 garbage I can't. That's one reason right there. And honestly the sole reason I went with Direct over 10 years ago is BECAUSE of the MH option. I even worked out a deal when we bought this unit for CW to install an in motion satellite dish.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Now the big problem is recordings not showing up on the DVR. Many are having to reset daily. Many are also complaining to the FCC. Reports are no fix in sight until next year.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only the Genie 2 is a stand-alone server (brilliant on DTV's part). All previous Genie's can be used as a stand-alone receiver or in concert with other receivers and/or clients.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
RJL wrote:
We've had an old Directv box in our Motor homes since 2007. Well here we are, 600 miles from home, with no direct because they can't refresh the box in here since our recent "upgrade". The genie 2 system, from what I can understand only communicates to the mini boxes, wireless in the home. Not a happy camper, literally.
By refresh do you mean change the service address for locals?

If so then are you trying to have a different service address for the MH vs home on one account? They will not allow that. You can take the Genie in the MH and change the service address for ALL receivers - ie the account.

My opinion: One of the DTV benefits (benefit to DTV) of Genies is everything is on one coax/WiFi. Hence customers cannot have multiple receivers distributed to nearby friends and family all sharing 1 account.

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Genie 3 in the house and a pair of H24 receivers in the MH. I can reset the H24s online from anywhere. I believe that you have a stand alone receiver (not a Genie Mini) in your MH, so you should be able to go to directv,com and reset it from there.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select