cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Directv equipment, questions and where to purchase.

mrxlh
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short, set up account on Wednesday, installer shows up yesterday and says, sorry we don't do installs on RV's anymore. Call Winegard, get the runaround from a woman who cannot spell or is hearing impaired or both, after 30 mints on the phone, she says I need to cancel my account that I had signed up for on Wednesday. If it wasn't for Sunday Ticket, I would probably have went Dish by now, ok rant off. 2 questions now.

1.) Who can I order the equipment from and just install it myself?

2.) What all do I need to run an HR44 for 2 TVs in my RV and be able to watch 2 different programs on 2 different TV's. I.E. Wife watching a DVR program, or live TV on 1 TV and me watching a football game on the other?

I am stationary for the next several months until we purchase a house, but would like to use this in the future for when we go camping, I.E. portable and fairly quick to set up.
Ryan

2008 Ford F350 CC LWB Dually
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2006 H-D FLHX
2010 Honda Rancher 420ES
18 REPLIES 18

mrxlh
Explorer
Explorer
donno, are you saying that I would need a Genie, a wirless mini, and a regular mini (3 components)?

Is the new SWM system that much harder to aim than the old systems?

Buying coax, a good crimper and connectors isn't a big deal.
Ryan

2008 Ford F350 CC LWB Dually
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2006 H-D FLHX
2010 Honda Rancher 420ES

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If you have Direct TV in house, just use that receiver on the road.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a bunch of online retailers that will sell you everything you need except the coax and connectors. And they will probably sell you those too.
HR44 is the genie right? So, IMHO go with the wireless Genie and one mini Genie. Call Direct back and order the stuff necessary for self install. They should ship it to you with no hassles. They have for me. As far as setup?
Thats a bit more tricky. SWM dish, coax, connectors. If you always have a clear view of the southern sky, the easiest is a Winegard SK-SWM automatic dish mounted on the roof. If you dont want that, then order a full sized dish, tripod from any number of online retailers. Of course with a manual dish of any sort you will have to learn how to setup the dish and align it to the correct sats.
With the Genie and mini you will also get a video bridge that is suppose to be setup about 6 feet away from the Genie. It is also connected to the antenna. It all takes wiring. Coax and connectors are available from big box stores pretty reasonable even for the good stuff. you will need a coax stripper and crimp tool. But those are one time purchases and less than 20 dollars.
You will need to locate a power supply, and SWM splitter, usually near the TV. Run the coax from the dish to the power supply, to the splitter, to the Video bridge and Genie. Then go thru the setup procedures.
With me so far?

kregli
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a good carryout setup for about $500. See:
TV 4 RV.

To watch two different shows, you'll need two receivers. You can get them on eBay, but DirecTV will have to activate them.
Keith
2015 Grand Design Momentum 388m
2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW