cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Directv

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
I've had Directv for a number of years. As a winter Texan when we arrive at our destination I call them and change our Service Address, this allows us to get local channels in Texas. This past summer we took a 62 day trip across the USA all the way to Seattle WA and back. The longest we stayed anywhere was 9 nights followed by 7 nights at another place, most stops were only for a night or two.
Now for my question; we are not interested in DNS so how often have you called Directv and asked for a Service Address change and what was the shortest period?
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.
12 REPLIES 12

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
zero
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

tandkj
Explorer
Explorer
goodwin297 wrote:
They will no longer give us a service address change each time we move. So we had to take the DNS, per FCC rules (so they say), for $15 CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX out of New York and CW out of Washington. It is a pain since we don't get local programming but at least I still get to watch the major networks programming.

I moved from TX to SC at Charleson AFB. I had the service changed every time we went thru a time change so the programming would be correct. I got a change at Ft Campbell, KY for local service. Got it changed again in Advance, NC for local channels and now in Charleston. They did everything I needed over the three week period with no problems.
I called DirecTv, ask for the movers, gave them the new service address and while watching the TV it changed. No problems.
Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

revump
Explorer
Explorer
We have changed for about a month ..
Bob

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Dish Network is much more friendly in this arena and they tend to do it as much as you like.

X2.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had the misfortune to be in 5 tornadoes while camping, hence my concern.

When you are in severe weather, that's when you want the use of your Batwing more than any other. I understand you are not always where it's available, but when that big storm gets close you are likely going to lose satellite TV just when you need the information the most.

As to a direct answer about DirecTV, they are not good at all about changing locals as you travel. You might be able to call them a couple of times per year or even a few more if you are lucky but it won't take long before they simply refuse to continue to do it.
Dish Network is much more friendly in this arena and they tend to do it as much as you like.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
We've gotten our locals changed 4X since January. But we stayed a minimum of 2mos. For any shorter stays, between projects, we rely on the DNS.

But since we relocated last week, I've had problems with some of the programming and rain fade. So I just opened up the latest episode on a CBS app on my iPad and watched the whole program.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

Moved from Forum Technical Support

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
Yes we always pre scan and make sure the antenna pre-amp is activated. I recall at least 4 places we camped at earlier this year that we couldn't get any OTA channels: Rapid River, MI; Lewis & Clark SP ND; Walker, MN; and Elk's Country RV Resort Trinidad, CA.
I've had the misfortune to be in 5 tornadoes while camping, hence my concern.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used to drag our SAT TV stuff from the house all the time but after the OTA DIGITAL NATL BROADCAST hit the scene a few years ago we stopped bring the SAT TV with us.

Here on the East Side of the US we have great success picking up the digital high def TV signals from the local towns. Usually pick-up 6-36 digital channels just about anywhere we go. Of course we have to scan-in the digital channels each place we stop at and the BATWING antenna pre-amp has to be activated using the PUSH BUTTON on the antenna panel.

We use the OTA BATWING crankup antenna which has the UHF dipoles on it. Most of our camping is off the power grid... Does rather good.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth, we do that but sometimes we are out in the boonies and can't pick up any locals.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Use your crank up batwing antenna for local channels, if you have one.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

goodwin297
Explorer
Explorer
They will no longer give us a service address change each time we move. So we had to take the DNS, per FCC rules (so they say), for $15 CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX out of New York and CW out of Washington. It is a pain since we don't get local programming but at least I still get to watch the major networks programming.
Full-Time RVers since 6/16/2012

Our home:2015 Evergreen Bay Hill 340RK
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins Diesel Crew Cab
Doggies - Molli, Indi and Louie