cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin 660 LMT with BC 30 Back up Camera

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Would like a back up camera to monitor my boat when towing with my 31' Class C. Camera will also be helpful for boat launching/retrieval.

I have found and read many of the various threads regarding back up cameras....wi-fi cameras, hard wired cameras, cameras to be used with your smartphone, etc..

I currently have a TomTom nav unit that is about 7 years old but functions well. So I don't necessarily need a GPS. However, the quality of Garmin is very good IMHO. I have one their new fish finders on my boat and the graphics are superb.

I want a GOOD back up camera FIRST and FOREMOST. GPS is secondary, but still valuable

Anybody have this Garmin 660 LMT with BC 30 camera and can comment on its functionality and camera quality?

1. Installation ease, difficulty, etc?

2. Is the connection good, or does it lose connectivity often?

3. Any other comments on this set up would be appreciated.

Thanks
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
8 REPLIES 8

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I was actually able to get to my trailer earlier than I thought and test this out. No shore power and batteries connected, the trailer side 7-way disconnected and the pin for 12V Power is energized. So there is back feed power to that pin. Just ended up tying into the running lights like others have.
I love me some land yachting

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
I realize this is an older thread but wanted to ask a question for those of you who have installed the BC-30 camera.

I was considering tying into the 12V Power pin (the pin that charges the RV batteries) on the RV 7-way connector so the camera will have power regardless of the running lights or back-up lights being energized. However, what I'd like to know is if the circuit is back fed by the batteries. I know a quick test of that pin on the RV side while disconnected will give me an answer as I'm unable to test it at the moment. I want to avoid the camera being a constant parasitic draw on the batteries while boondocking.

My hope is that the 12V Power pin is only energized when connected to my truck. And yes, I do know my truck has 12V on that pin when it is running.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this.
I love me some land yachting

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
The Garmin RV 660LMT 6" Touchscreen GPS and BC 30 Backup Camera Bundle is on sale at Costco. $399.99
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I went ahead and purchased the Garmin backup camera BC-30... as my Garmin 2597 is compatible with the camera. Best Buy on sale $149.99.

I have a fiberglass type of trailer body... mounted transmitter behind the left tail light... and camera above spare tire. wired so unit will work with running (tail) lights ON.

I am able to receive signal from the camera over 80 feet.. camera behind trailer and long bed truck with supercab... (truck not hitched to trailer)

you can not read license plates.. but can see a cat or a quart can easy, with the 2597 (5 inch) screen.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
it should do fine..

during the installation.. if connected to your reverse lights.. it only turn ON when you are in reverse.

BUT, if you wire the transmitter to your tail lights .. you press a icon on the garmin screen and the camera will turn ON, when the tail lights are on.

or wire the transmitter to keyed ON power.. camera will turn on when you press the icon ...

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
RVhiker wrote:
Baja Man wrote:

Anybody have this Garmin 660 LMT with BC 30 camera and can comment on its functionality and camera quality?

Thanks

I recently installed the exact set-up you are considering. I decided to buy a 50 foot extension cable. This put the transmitter at the front of my fifth wheel. I put the antenna just behind the fiberglas front cap. I wanted to be able to power the camera system on and off easily and installed a power switch on my dash. The power runs from there to the backup light connection on my trailer umbilical (which is not used on my trailer. I tied into the backup light wiring of the umbilical to power the antenna. So if the switch is on, the camera image is on the GPS screen and when off the GPS displays are there. Since the transmitter is close to the receiver, I have had no issues of interference or poor signal quality. The only hard part of the install was stringing the power and camera wires.

The image is good for backing up and seeing obstacles close to the trailer. However, since the lens is a fish eye, you don't get much of an image farther back. For example, in order to notice a vehicle behind you, the vehicle has to be VERY close to your bumper. Overall the image and camera function exactly as I'd like it to.

would the BC30 camera be good for monitoring my boat during travel as well as for backing down a boat launch ramp?
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:

Thanks

I recently installed the exact set-up you are considering. I decided to buy a 50 foot extension cable. This put the transmitter at the front of my fifth wheel. I put the antenna just behind the fiberglas front cap. I wanted to be able to power the camera system on and off easily and installed a power switch on my dash. The power runs from there to the backup light connection on my trailer umbilical (which is not used on my trailer. I tied into the backup light wiring of the umbilical to power the antenna. So if the switch is on, the camera image is on the GPS screen and when off the GPS displays are there. Since the transmitter is close to the receiver, I have had no issues of interference or poor signal quality. The only hard part of the install was stringing the power and camera wires.

The image is good for backing up and seeing obstacles close to the trailer. However, since the lens is a fish eye, you don't get much of an image farther back. For example, in order to notice a vehicle behind you, the vehicle has to be VERY close to your bumper. Overall the image and camera function exactly as I'd like it to.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I am investigating the Garmin 770 (truck) with BC-30.

currently have the Garmin 2597.

like you, many good reports..

the wireless BC-30 is nice.. and the extension cable is a PLUS IF NEEDED.
but in your case.. you plan on mounting the camera to the rear of the Motorhome!

I plan to mount the camera behind the 30 foot travel trailer..
as I have a cheap (Peak 3.5) camera for hooking truck to trailer.

but the RV-660 has not been out very long. limited owners.