Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

General Question About Routers

Bachelor
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, all. I'm used to always using public wifi hotspots.My wuestion is:
If I wish to obtain a paid service:
1. Does the service supply a device known as a router?
2. If I change location, is the router transportable to the new location?
3. Does the router simply plug in to a 120 volt socket and connect to the computer wirelessly, or are there other wires to contend with?

Thanks in advance for your help to this newbee.
18 REPLIES 18

Bachelor
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. It all sounds pretty good.
Further question: can the same router be used with any Internet provider when moving to another location? I presume the answer is yes, just making sure.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read all about it here:

TechnoMadia

Bottom line - most of us use a 4G cellular hot-sport (Verizon calls them a "Mi-Fi") for internet access. All the major carriers offer them but coverage, cost, and data allowances vary from provider to provider. Depending on your carrier, you can get internet anywhere you have a a cellular tower with a good signal that's not overloaded with traffic. We have a Verizon Mi-Fi with unlimited data (a plan you can't get any more) and it has served us extremely well as full-timers.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Bachelor wrote:
Hello, all. I'm used to always using public wifi hotspots.My wuestion is:
If I wish to obtain a paid service:
1. Does the service supply a device known as a router?
2. If I change location, is the router transportable to the new location?
3. Does the router simply plug in to a 120 volt socket and connect to the computer wirelessly, or are there other wires to contend with?

Thanks in advance for your help to this newbee.

1) Yes, or you can purchase your own.

2) Yes.

3) Most have a rechargeable battery, and come with a charger, or they can be connected to a USB port for charging. Connection to the computer is wireless and, after initial setup, automatic.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Every service provider (carrier) will furnish a device with a contract plan or you can purchase a compatible device on your own through eBay or Craig's List and go with a no contract plan.

Here's a page where Verizon shows their "mobile hotspots"
https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/

No matter where you take them or turn them on (as long as there's a cell signal) the hotspot (wireless router) will connect to network provided by the carrier. Once that happens you can get "online". No changes are necessary on your part after the initial setup. If your computer doesn't connect automatically you may need to scan for the WiFi networks available and connect to the one your device is broadcasting. It's much more secure and safe than connecting to a public WiFi network.

I don't believe the 5G option is practical right now as it hasn't been completely implemented yet and it's range is much less than 4G service which can be fast enough to watch streaming videos. The more data you use, the more it costs.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System