cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I hook up old DVD player to new HDMI TV

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older Sony DVD with the Red/White & Green/Blue/Red plugs, or I can get a Red/White/Yellow.

I have a new TV with HDMI only plugs.

Is there an adapter I can buy to plug the R/W & G/B/R plugs in one end with an HDMI plug on the other end to plug into the Television?

If so, does Wal-Mart have them?

Thanks!
30 REPLIES 30

moonlightrunner
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
moonlightrunner wrote:
Are you really so foolish to think all VHS movies are on DVD? If so, I would like you to provide the source for Medicine River (1993) on a DVD. .
Probably.

MR DVD

That didn't take long.

Thank you. I have been searching for years for that movie on a DVD. Like once a month doing a full internet search. Guess what I'm buying plus I will be telling friends who have been looking for the same movie.

You can sometimes find Bluray players for $30. I bought a factory refurbished Toshiba Bluray with new remote for just that at MicroCenter. Did have to update the firmware, but very easy to flash. Does have an Ethernet connection for popular streaming sites such as YouTube. But no wireless. Yet not a problem, as I used a recycled Linksys-N router bought for $4., and flashed the firmware to use as a bridge client. So acting similar to a USB WiFi adapter, but instead using an Ethernet connection.

Use it virtually every day to watch both DVDs/Blurays.

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
Buy a new player with HDMI for $40.
X2 DVD player are cheap.

Sony DVD Player with HDMI out - Amazon Prime $39

But, something like this would work, too.

Monoprice.com Component Video w/coaxial audio to HDMI

wildtoad wrote:
do a google search for RCA to HDMI and you will find several solutions. Since you are wanting to go from RCA plugs to HDMI you can find a simple cable for under $10. Going the other way with just a cable would not work. But as someone else said, your better option might be to upgrade the DVD player.

You will see wires with the right ends. If you notice by the reviews and ratings, they only work in special applications. These wires DO NOT CONVERT the analog signal to digital. You can get one and see if it works. But, I highly doubt they will.

This. I would make it a blue ray since those are now under $60.00 then you will be able to play DVD and Blue ray

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the adapter I found that came with the manual works just fine, glad I kept it all together in a zip lock. No need to spend any more money or throw out a good DVD player.

Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks everyone!

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's all you young kids know spend, spend spend
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Click For Full-Size Image.

Appears to be a straight forward hookup to your DVDs component video(RGB)/analog audio using the supplied adapter.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I visited Samsung's site and found the manual for it, alas, not readable on this screen (Very badly done PDF)

It appears the Component (P/B/Y) inputs one of them doubles as VIDEO in for standard A/V input. You might not need that special plug after all.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
What brand & model of TV did you buy ?
Maybe an alternative is to purchase a used Blu-Ray on Craig's list & forget about it. Besides, the Blu will play both Dvd & Blu
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
What brand & model of TV did you buy ?
Maybe an alternative is to purchase a used Blu-Ray on Craig's list & forget about it. Besides, the Blu will play both Dvd & Blu
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
wcjeep wrote:
At this point, bluray is becoming old technology.I held onto a vhs player for some reason. Its been unplugged for 6yrs.
Internet streaming will take over all hard media. A VCR will only be available in thrift stores, or museums.

Ha! Make me laugh on this one! We still have old Beta VHS tapes from when the kids were little (28 years ago). We also have the original Beta tape player (I hope it still works). Haven't watch those videos in years. Good thing is, the output on it was only COAX and the RED-Yellow-White plugs. We can still use it that way ... if we ever decide to. We've also got a couple VHS players and a bunch of tapes for it too. BUT... the old 8 Track Tape Deck I use to have, finally did get tossed out! :B

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wcjeep wrote:
At this point, bluray is becoming old technology.I held onto a vhs player for some reason. Its been unplugged for 6yrs.
Internet streaming will take over all hard media. A VCR will only be available in thrift stores, or museums.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
moonlightrunner wrote:
2oldman wrote:
darsben wrote:
However I have a VHS deck and a DVD that I do not wish to replace.
You really enjoy watching tape?
Are you really so foolish to think all VHS movies are on DVD? If so, I would like you to provide the source for Medicine River (1993) on a DVD. It is only on VHS. I have been looking for it for years and I am not the only one.

I much prefer watching my VHS myself. can be watching a movie, pull it out and set it aside to do something. come back hours/days/weeks later and start where I left off. can't figure out how to do that with a DVD.
bumpy

New bluray machines will automatically accomplish this. My Samsung bought on sale does this. I'm sure other companies can do the same. If you enjoy VHS great. At this point, bluray is becoming old technology.

I held onto a vhs player for some reason. Its been unplugged for 6yrs.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
moonlightrunner wrote:
2oldman wrote:
darsben wrote:
However I have a VHS deck and a DVD that I do not wish to replace.
You really enjoy watching tape?
Are you really so foolish to think all VHS movies are on DVD? If so, I would like you to provide the source for Medicine River (1993) on a DVD. It is only on VHS. I have been looking for it for years and I am not the only one.

I much prefer watching my VHS myself. can be watching a movie, pull it out and set it aside to do something. come back hours/days/weeks later and start where I left off. can't figure out how to do that with a DVD.
bumpy

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
moonlightrunner wrote:
Are you really so foolish to think all VHS movies are on DVD? If so, I would like you to provide the source for Medicine River (1993) on a DVD. .
Probably.

MR DVD

That didn't take long.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman