cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much difference between SD and HD

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
We can't find a carry-out antenna that will support DirecTV HD. How much difference is there in the clarity between SD and HD?
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS with a basement slide.
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)
49 REPLIES 49

docj
Explorer
Explorer
That could be the difference between true north and magnetic north. Dishpointer I believe always gives readings in terms of true north.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
So, I guess, if we don't learn to point that dish the next couple of times, we're going with a Winegard Carry-Out or their other dome one. This dish is making me feel so stupid!

I got Dishpointer Pro and it shows azimuth as 150.5 while the TV (by zip code) shows 133.0. That's a big difference. The tilt is the about the same and the elevation is just a point or two off. Which do I believe? I tend to think the Dishpointer Pro because it's homing in on our campsite whereas the zip code might be 5 or 10 miles from where we are.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
PennyPA wrote:
If I keep DirecTV, there is no carry-out that has HD for them. Hoping that maybe some day in the future, someone will come out with a portable HD for DirecTV.

Don't hold your breathe if you are thinking some kind of a portable dome style system. As far as I can tell, no one is even working on it any longer due to the KA band signal DirecTV uses for the HD broadcast.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
PennyPA wrote:
So it sounds like we have to learn how to aim our dish, huh? How do we know if the TV has an ATSC digital tuner? Will it say so in the instruction book for the TV? We have a Vizio...2 years old, I think.

Yes, if you want to receive satellite TV you will either need to learn to point an antenna or you need to purchase an antenna that can point itself.
As the poster has already corrected, the digital TV does not apply to satellite TV. You just need an HD receiver and HD subscription and the proper antenna capable of receiving the HD signal.
When not watching satellite, you crank up your Batwing antenna and watch OTA TV programming with the TV's built-in digital tuner.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
PennyPA wrote:
Okay. Another SD vs. HD question....if you only have SD, do you still get the HD channels but in SD instead of HD??

There are some HD only channels and these will not be available in an SD version as they require a HD receiver and they require the SL3 or SL5 antenna (direcTV) or the Dish triple LNB. However, there are very few of these channels compared to the overall programming. For example, Food Network on DirecTV is broadcast on 231. If you pull up the guide allowing you to see both HD and SD channels you will see 2 channel 231's. 231-Food and 231 FoodHD.

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
If I keep DirecTV, there is no carry-out that has HD for them. Hoping that maybe some day in the future, someone will come out with a portable HD for DirecTV.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

I doubt it. Make sure a portable antenna is compatible with both SD/HD if you intend to upgrade to HD programming at some point.

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
So IF we get a carry-out self-finding antenna that is SD only, we will still be able to pick up the HD programs and maybe, someday, they'll come out with an HD antenna for DirecTV or I'll switch to Dish. Thank you all.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

ATSC is for over-the-air broadcasts. I see from your original post that your question concerns satellite broadcast? So not applicable. But, yes, your Vizio LCD HD does have ATSC.

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
So it sounds like we have to learn how to aim our dish, huh? How do we know if the TV has an ATSC digital tuner? Will it say so in the instruction book for the TV? We have a Vizio...2 years old, I think.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

Yes, if the TV has an ATSC digital Tuner.

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
Okay. Another SD vs. HD question....if you only have SD, do you still get the HD channels but in SD instead of HD??
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I could instantly answer both questions (seriously, B and W?). You say you need HD when you are watching a bunch of cars driving really fast in a repeating circle? If you missed it on the last pass it will show up in the next pass (repeated 250 times)!
I agree - I would be able to answer both questions as well.

However, I disagree with you about NASCAR. I get it that you don't like NASCAR but now that I don't get the races in HD, I miss it quite a bit.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think the difference between SD and HD is night and day but DW doesn't think there's much. Mind you, I have much better eyesight.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
RCMAN46 wrote:
Something I have discovered.

If you are watching a really good movie and half way through the movie turn off the tv.

Now ask your partner if the movie was in color or black and white.

Also ask if it was in HD or SD.

Likely neither of you will be sure provided the question is asked after the tv is off and there was no prior knowledge the question would be asked.

A good movie is OK in black and white and SD.

But I do enjoy my HD TV when there are things I need to read such as which car is in the lead on the Sunday NASCAR race.

That's the dangest thing I have ever heard. I could instantly answer both questions (seriously, B and W?). You say you need HD when you are watching a bunch of cars driving really fast in a repeating circle? If you missed it on the last pass it will show up in the next pass (repeated 250 times)!