cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to receive distance channels on DTV

jimj
Explorer
Explorer
I have read lots on receiving DNS on Direct tv and am still confused.
Most of the stuff that I read is from years back and would like to know if the rules have changed or there are any way to get the NY feed in the RV.
I have the Geni system at home and will take it on the road with me. I do not need hd in the RV. I know that I can change my address and get locals where I am but if traveling around a lot it would be nice to receive the NY feed.
Any ideas how to would be appreciated.

THANKS

JimJ
16 REPLIES 16

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
I have an RV waiver. I have all 4 of my receivers listed as being in my motorhome.
With my RV waiver I can use my 4 receivers anywhere, legally, according to DTV's terms of service.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thus far, I have not seen anyone report that they have been able to successfully setup a KVH system for use with SWM. I believe, in theory, that it could be but I have just not seen anyone reporting results.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jimj
Explorer
Explorer
Bill
I have the Mobile Vehicle Declaration of Intent form and it states that if I have more than one receiver in my residential account and one of those receivers are registered to the RV
I must open a new mobile vehicle account. Is this correct or should I just send in the form then deal with it when I call to travel???
I am planning to register all receivers as in the RV when I travel. I will suspend locals and just have the DNS when I travel.
I don't want to open another account.
I know that DTV is difficult to work with in this matter that is why I want to cross the Is and dot the Ts when I send it in. lol

On another note you stated that my planned setup will work if my dish is setup to handle SWM8. My dish is the Trackvision SF do you know if that will work on the SWM8 setup???

Thanks

JimJ

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I said, if you want to view locals at home simultaneously with viewing DNS in an RV then you have 2 sets of folks who should be paying for 2 accounts (again, my opinion). However, if you are going to be in your RV you don't need locals while you have DNS as you are the only ones viewing the programming. You can either suspend service on the home boxes while on the road or add all boxes to the DNS account. As long as you pick one or the other there are no issues.
Now if you want to split hairs on the legal side, the law also says we cannot jay walk but we all do it all the time. As long as I am not doing anything that would effect the income of my service provider or harm others in any way I don't see where this might be an issue. To split that even further, I am not sure that it's even actually a law but rather a regulation. To muddle it just a bit, if you are a Dish subscriber you can have a local Network account and then sign up with All American Direct and they will provide you with DNS Networks which is billed separately by them but comes to you simultaneously.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
accsys wrote:
This document from DTV is straight from the horses mouth - read it and weep!

I am not sure what you mean by read it an weep. It's a straight forward RV waiver allowing us all to receiver NY or LA in our RV anywhere we travel in the US. I read it and cheer! I have been using the DNS services since 2000.

To quote some of the first page of that document:

What you need to know before you send us this information:
1. The federal law does not allow DNS programming authorized for a mobile vehicle to be viewed on receivers located in your permanent residence.

I read this to mean you need a separate account for the RV since you cannot receive DNS in the S&B on an RV waiver. You cannot take a receiver back and forth between the house and RV on one account with an RV waiver. At least not legally, and this is what the OP was proposing.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
accsys wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by read it an weep. It's a straight forward RV waiver allowing us all to receiver NY or LA in our RV anywhere we travel in the US. I read it and cheer! I have been using the DNS services since 2000.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimj wrote:
Bill
I plan to use a dome with two leads out to a swm8 switch, then a power inserter, then to splitter, then to front HR34 receiver, then to client on rear TV. No HD. Will this setup work and if so how do I set the receiver up?

Thank you

JimJ

Yes, it will work great assuming you have a dome that will work with the SWM8 kit. The receiver will need to be setup for #1 18" round plus 01-SWM for the switch type. You will no longer be able to toggle between 101 and 119 (some locals are on 119) but you will get all of the Nationally broadcast SD programming from 101.
Here is a copy of the Winegard guide for SWM. The setup info is at the end.
http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452242.pdf

Edit: Made link clickable.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
sdianel wrote:
One more thing I discovered about DNS east coast west coast feeds. You cannot mirror your home service. You must pay for a separate package. Way too expensive for us when we had a stick house. We just use over air digital for local stations where we are.

You can mirror your home service, you just can't have locals at home plus DNS in the RV. You just need to have all receivers setup the same. If you have folks at home watching TV while you are in the RV watching TV then you "should" have 2 accounts anyway (personal opinion) but you could set the entire account up for DNS or you can just take your receiver in the RV and use the OTA antenna for the Networks.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
One more thing I discovered about DNS east coast west coast feeds. You cannot mirror your home service. You must pay for a separate package. Way too expensive for us when we had a stick house. We just use over air digital for local stations where we are.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Tom N wrote:
I filed the RV waiver. Now I can get the east coast locals, which includes NY.

The east coast locals cost $10 a month.

In addition I also receive the west coast locals and that is another $10 a month.

Rather than a home account that I use in my RV I have an RV account that I use at home.

I have also occasionally called DTV and changed my service address so I can pick up the locals for that location (for football).

-Tom

Why do i pay $15 for east only ?
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

jimj
Explorer
Explorer
Bill
I plan to use a dome with two leads out to a swm8 switch, then a power inserter, then to splitter, then to front HR34 receiver, then to client on rear TV. No HD. Will this setup work and if so how do I set the receiver up?

Thank you

JimJ

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
I filed the RV waiver. Now I can get the east coast locals, which includes NY.

The east coast locals cost $10 a month.

In addition I also receive the west coast locals and that is another $10 a month.

Rather than a home account that I use in my RV I have an RV account that I use at home.

I have also occasionally called DTV and changed my service address so I can pick up the locals for that location (for football).

-Tom
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get NY DNS if you have a service address in the Eastern or Central time zones. It costs $15/month and you will get NY anywhere you travel in the US.
Here is the form you need to file.
http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/DNS_Vehicles_Aff.pdf
On a separate topic, if you want to use your Genie in your RV then you will need an antenna setup for DirecTV's SWM technology. No dome would have that but some dome systems can be updated. The most recent Winegard Trav'ler for DTV has SWM built in or you could update and older unit or use a ground based tripod unit with a DTV SWM antenna.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams