cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need a real boost!

Teeshot1939
Explorer
Explorer
Currently using either my AT&T Velocity Jetpack or my Verizon 8800L Jetpack for internet access. Need high speed reliable service for my job while RV'ing across our great country! Disappointed with performance of both devices. Wife thinks we need a cell signal booster. Is she right...again? If so, what are your recommendations/experiences? Thanks.......
47 REPLIES 47

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
There is something special about camping in an RV.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
We've been using a Max Amp RV booster/repeater from Maximum Signal for a couple of years now, and have been very pleased with the performance. It has even given us a usable 4G signal in places our previous WeBoost Drive 4G-M gave us no signal or only a slow 3G signal including some areas where the coverage maps showed no service available. Obviously the amplifier has to catch at least a sniff of a signal to work at all, but the Max Amp seems to continue working at a lower signal level than the WeBoost.

the weboost 4g-m doesn't appear to be as good for low signals as the newer 4g-x. And it looks like you've verified that other boosters are better than the 4g-m. (Even though the main spec's don't indicate a difference from the 4g-x).

Does the 4G-X repeat the signal for the entire area of the RV? Our Max Amp signal only drops off slightly from end to end in our 34' coach.

signal from the indoor antenna does decrease with distance, as one would expect. My experience is that if the signal is very very marginal to start with, basically no reception w/o a booster, then with the booster I have about a 15-20 ft range for a good signal. If the signal is marginal, but needs boosting don't know how far it will go, since we seldom use it at the far end of the RV, 30+ft.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I had not looked at the We Boost lately...I see they have the X RV 65 that is the directional that comes with the pole extension. Thus its different than the other X RV Omni that has 50db gain where as the X RV 65 has 65 gain! Did I read that in a mobile application 50db is the max but with the RV 65 its considered a stationary unit but also for an RV when parked? :@
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
We've been using a Max Amp RV booster/repeater from Maximum Signal for a couple of years now, and have been very pleased with the performance. It has even given us a usable 4G signal in places our previous WeBoost Drive 4G-M gave us no signal or only a slow 3G signal including some areas where the coverage maps showed no service available. Obviously the amplifier has to catch at least a sniff of a signal to work at all, but the Max Amp seems to continue working at a lower signal level than the WeBoost.

the weboost 4g-m doesn't appear to be as good for low signals as the newer 4g-x. And it looks like you've verified that other boosters are better than the 4g-m. (Even though the main spec's don't indicate a difference from the 4g-x).

Does the 4G-X repeat the signal for the entire area of the RV? Our Max Amp signal only drops off slightly from end to end in our 34' coach.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Excellent...I wasn't planning on getting a Yagi to start off but I had a thought that if all else failed and I really really wanted to test one out, having one along might be an option. I'm all for low loss 75ohm cable and just getting the omni as high as I can.
Thanks all....

the 75ohm cable ONLY WORKS if the booster has a 75 ohm output!!! the common output impedance for booster is 50 ohms. Some do have 75 ohm outputs, like the weboost 4g-xRV the regular 4G-x is 50 ohms.

It will be the We Boost 4g xRV if and when I get it. It will be before my next adventure. I don't know bout everyone else but after being out for a few months, I get home and I have about two months worth of adjustments, alterations, modifications and additions. Seems I'm never finished and I've owned the Vogue for 15 years lol
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Excellent...I wasn't planning on getting a Yagi to start off but I had a thought that if all else failed and I really really wanted to test one out, having one along might be an option. I'm all for low loss 75ohm cable and just getting the omni as high as I can.
Thanks all....

the 75ohm cable ONLY WORKS if the booster has a 75 ohm output!!! the common output impedance for booster is 50 ohms. Some do have 75 ohm outputs, like the weboost 4g-xRV the regular 4G-x is 50 ohms.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all....
96 Vogue Prima Vista

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
do you mean if the 'cable' is thinner than a pencil ? that 'cable' can cost you what ever gain the antenna has

yup, be careful of cable loss. RG 58 a common 50 ohm cable has a loss/100ft of 21db @ 1GHz, almost double at 2GHz. and that is the frequency range your using with a cell phone.

RG6 a decent 75ohm cable easily available is 6db/100ft @1GHz.

LMR a low loss 50 ohm cable is about 4db/100ft @ 1GHz. LMR400 is about 1/2" in diameter, close to semi rigid, and basically for permanent installation. you aren't going to roll it up and store it. And it's spendy.

Now granted, few of us are going to have a 100ft run, but 30-50ft isn't unexpected. with RG58 you'd have 7-10db, a noticeable loss.

cable loss could easily exceed antenna gain. Get the antenna up high, and only as far away from booster as needed to avoid feedback. In my case I use a omni (or if needed yagi) antenna on a pole, with the antenna about 6ft above the top of the trailer. I have the antenna about 10ft horizontal and 5ft vertical from the booster inside antenna with no feedback. cable run from the booster output to the antenna is only about 15ft.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
do you mean if the 'cable' is thinner than a pencil ? that 'cable' can cost you what ever gain the antenna has

yes, you're right good catch on the typo
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
Acampingwewillgo wrote:

Forgive me for being naรฏve, but in your configuration, that is a directional antenna when mounted as you have it?

Yes. I am in northern California, and it is pointing toward Redding where the tower is.

I have found the antenna aim difficult. I'd expect to see the signal peak up and drop as I turn the pole, but it does not respond like that. Rather, adjustments to the aim seem to take time see. Not sure why.

If your trying to aim a yagi, IMHO don't use the phone default signal strength screen. for sure do NOT use the "bars". download a app that give signal strength readout and frequency. then set the default update to to has quick as possible to see the directional effect on the yagi. There are many android apps that can do this. "Signal check pro" and "network cell info" are two I have used. there are likely similar ones for Iphones.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi DarkSkySeeker,

Try to find the lowest signal. Then Rotate the yagi 180 degrees.

DarkSkySeeker wrote:
I have found the antenna aim difficult. I'd expect to see the signal peak up and drop as I turn the pole, but it does not respond like that. Rather, adjustments to the aim seem to take time see. Not sure why.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s