cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

iGoogle shutting down. Help please.

Texas_Two_Stepp
Explorer
Explorer
I keep getting messages that Google is shutting down in so many days and I should back up all the data I don't want to lose. I assume this means gmail also. I need to move a folder in gmail to to my msn mail account. How do I do this?? Please keep it simple.
2015 Duramax 3500 dually 4x4
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
Magnum MS 2012 inverter/charger
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor
4-6v Trojan t105 batteries
B & W companion 3000 hitch
15 REPLIES 15

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are certainly overloaded. They even posted a message to that fact when iGoogle started their 30 day count down. Hopefully, it will get better but I am sure this is a small company without anywhere near the capacity of a Google so it may take some time for them to catch up. It will likely get even more difficult when the procrastinators find an error page when they open iGoogle on the 1st of Nov.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I've moved to ighome, and so far I am underwhelmed. Maybe they are overloaded, but I've been getting a ton of errors. They go away quickly on reload, but still...
-- Chris Bryant

Deputy_Chief_P_
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
No, Google is not going away and neither is Gmail.
Only iGoogle is going away and that's the landing page you "can" use but are not required to. You only need to find a new home page (Yahoo, MSN or the only I selected http://www.ighome.com/ )
The ighome page is nearly a direct replacement for iGoogle and makes the upcoming transition a snap.

Thank you for this information! I would have transitioned a long time ago, but was unaware of the site. iGoogle should suggest this to others.
My advice is worth what you paid for it!

Both of us are Retired Law Enforcement

2003 Pace Arrow 36B
Ansel Adams Edition
3 slide outs
FMCA
Good Sams Lifetime Member

2014 Jeep Patriot Toad

Texas_Two_Stepp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the clarification and advice.
2015 Duramax 3500 dually 4x4
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
Magnum MS 2012 inverter/charger
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor
4-6v Trojan t105 batteries
B & W companion 3000 hitch

Popsie wrote:
I use a blank page for my home page. It loads amazingly fast ๐Ÿ™‚ I have the websites I frequently use in bookmark folders across the top of the page.

I also use custom webpages. If a website supports the iframe tag, and you know a little html and css, then its fairly easy to make your own home page. Designing it to include content from multiple websites. In fact, I made one especially for the Open Roads Forum(RV.NET). It actively displays multiple forums on one page. I've formatted it so it only shows the first thread on down 7-8 topics. It doesn't display any forum headers, or even the forum stickies. It can be set to display up to 4 different forums on one page without scrolling on my desktop or notebook, though have mine set for 2. Clicking the forum title opens a separate tab to that specific forum.

I've also added specifics pieces of other forum webpages, such as private message indicator, and an online count that shows the total number of visitors/members on the forums at any one time. These can be positioned anywhere on a custom webpage.

I also made a custom drop down menu on top that gives me access to all forum portals, moderator specific tools and references, and to private messages.

In order to auto update the page, I set a page refresh in the headers to check every 5 minutes. Though I wouldn't advice setting a refresh much less as websites could flag such use as suspicious.

I also placed my RV.NET home page on my Dropbox, so available on any of my computers or tablets.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
JesLookin wrote:
I know that the IGoogle home pages are going away. I began using igHome as a replacement. Haven't heard about google mail going away.

THIS^^^^^ ighome is a great replacemnt
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Only iGoogle is going away and that's the landing page you "can" use but are not required to. You only need to find a new home page (Yahoo, MSN or the only I selected http://www.ighome.com/ )
The ighome page is nearly a direct replacement for iGoogle and makes the upcoming transition a snap.
I use a blank page for my home page. It loads amazingly fast ๐Ÿ™‚ I have the websites I frequently use in bookmark folders across the top of the page.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Google is shutting down it's homepage called Igoogle. It is the page that has some news stories, the time, your local weather, customizable content etc. Just pick another home page for your computer to open when you start it. The easiest way (assuming windows) is to find a page you want to display every time your computer starts (i.e. USAtoday, weather.com, ESPN etc.) and open that page. Go to the tool bar in internet explorer (again assuming you are using IE) open "internet options" under "general" there will be an option for homepage and a button to choose "use current" click it and then click OK at the bottom of the page and you will have effectively removed "Igoogle" from your life. GMail is not effected at all by the change.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may want to change your heading because it's not true!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
I know that the IGoogle home pages are going away. I began using igHome as a replacement. Haven't heard about google mail going away.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
If this was in fact true it would be all over the news. I use Goggle extensively and have had no such message. I think someone is scamming you.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Me either, neither has my wife and we both have a gmail account.