cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inside Security Cameras?

LK23
Explorer
Explorer
I experienced a theft during my last PM maintenance. Bummer. I want to install two security cameras inside our coach. I am looking for recommendations. I need a camera that will record to a SD card and not connect to the Internet since we have to pay for our data usage with Verizon.

Any suggestions?
2017 Dutch Star 4369
2015 Cadillac SRX Toad
Army Pilot, Vietnam 1971-71
Author of ACE, The Story of Lt. Col. Ace Cozzalio
17 REPLIES 17

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about one of those Nanny Cams
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Address the theft with the shop that did the maintenance and stole the items.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a PC in the RV? If so use an external drive that's hard to remove. Maybe in a wood box screwed to the floor with stripped Phillips head screws and record video to that. I use Yawcam software as a dashcam. It also works as a security cam software.
Yawcam Software

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
PenMan wrote:
.... Obviously if a camera records to an internal SD card and the camera is stolen the recording is gone too.
Yep, which is why I think cloud monitoring is very important. $10/mo seems quite reasonable for that added bit of security.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IN another thread on one of the forums I visit an RV owner had such a camera.

The thief entered, Spotted the camera, Played with it, Left it, and then left the RV.. Went home, went to jail and as far as I know remains there today.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
The problem I see with an exposed camera once stolen you are no better off. A notice on the door is no proof you have or had a security camera.

When I was searching for a security system I found a lot of cameras embedded in things like a wall clock or picture frame, they have SD cards and are just about impossible to detect the only shortcoming is battery life but in your case this would not be a problem.

example; http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/category/hidden+cameras/cctv+hidden+cameras.do
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

LK23
Explorer
Explorer
When I said I was only interested in using the camera when work is performed on our coach, its because that is the only time someone other than my wife or I are inside our motor home. And, it was during a PM service that our robbery occurred. If the camera is stolen during coach servicing, we obviously know who did it.

First and foremost, having a security camera and stickers on the doors will act as a deterrent.

The reason I want the camera to record to an SD card is we have to pay for Verizon broadband data and it is expensive. I was hoping to avoid running up my Verizon bill every time the camera is in use.
2017 Dutch Star 4369
2015 Cadillac SRX Toad

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not trying to start a fight. I didn't understand from your original post that you were only interested in using the camera while you have work done on your rig. I am still interested if anyone has ideas about my questions concerning cameras that will provide a record up to the point that the camera itself is stolen. Obviously if a camera records to an internal SD card and the camera is stolen the recording is gone too.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

LK23
Explorer
Explorer
So what's your point? A as victim of a theft I am hoping to prevent it from happening again.
2017 Dutch Star 4369
2015 Cadillac SRX Toad

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
So you are only interested in cameras to watch the techs working on your rig? You don't care about catching a thief in your rig who is not working on it? That was the intent of my questions.
Chris and Jane

LK23
Explorer
Explorer
We have no security camera at home since we full-time in our motor home.

I WANT the people who service our motor home to know we have cameras and will post the appropriate stickers on the entry door and elsewhere.

If we pick up our motor home after having it served and the cameras are gone, we know it happened while being serviced.

The ONLY reason I don't want a camera that connects to the Internet is that we have to pay for our data usage. I expect a camera recording to the Internet would use a lot of data. If I am wrong about this, please let me know.
2017 Dutch Star 4369
2015 Cadillac SRX Toad

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
OK,this is probably a stupid question but if you have a camera that records to an SD card, what is to prevent the thief from just taking the camera along with your other valuables? What do you do for a security camera at home? I can understand using a camera outside with the recording device located inside but how do the inside cameras work so that the recording is not stolen?
Chris and Jane

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
This one is a bit more money but works nicely. click here
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
That game camera is a good idea. Relatives used one to put away a druggie stealing from their business trailer.:B