cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet connection

Blemaire
Explorer
Explorer
This May be a dumb question but that's ok to me cause I'm new at this anyway. How do you get internet connection while traveling ? Also cable ? I'm spoiled. Lol.
8 REPLIES 8

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use my Galaxy S4 smartphone and PDAnet to turn the phone into a wifi hotspot. Works great but does use the phones data. However, unlike stugpanzer above, we do not use it for watching movies but just for my website duties here, internet browsing, and checking e-mail etc. We have found most campgrounds internet wifi to be too unreliable to use and much prefer using our own.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
I have Verizon Wireless Unlimited data (grandfathered). I use PDANET app to create a wifi hotspot for internet. We have a smart TV in the bedroom so we can watch Netflix in there. getting ready to replace the front DVD player with a Sony Bluray player that also has Netflix. Only tune locals in (antenna) when I want local weather, etc.
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

MrWizard
No Cable
But you can subscribe to satellite TV

internet is via cellular or satellite

cellular has two options connect thru your cell phone (share the internet data connection)
OR
stand alone cellular device that acts as a wifi hotspot router

either way you pay a monthly fee for a set amount of data and extra overage charges for any amount you use above the contracted amount
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Blemaire
Explorer
Explorer
Blemaire wrote:
This May be a dumb question but that's ok to me cause I'm new at this anyway. How do you get internet connection while traveling ? Also cable ? I'm spoiled. Lol.
I m with AT&T and internet with cox.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want free you have to find a campground that offers free wi-fi. The problem is, if you are now spoiled, the "free" wi-fi is generally pretty crappy and it may not even be available at your site. You may have to take the computer to the clubhouse or office.
If you want dependable internet service you are going to need a cellular device and the amount of data you can download will be limited, but only limited by your budget!
Free TV is going to be campground cable (limited channels and not available at all parks) or your over-the-air TV antenna like a Winegard Batwing antenna. If you want dependable TV service you are going to need to subscribe to Dish or DirecTV, get the proper RV antenna and watch whatever you like where ever you travel.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We carry our internet connections with us using the VERIZON MIFI setup. Works anywhere you get Verizon Cell Phone service. Provides a WIFI HOT SPOT for up to five devices to be connected...

We are subscribed to a 3GB Monthly Dataplan which is just perfect for checking in with the kids, paying some bills on-line, and some surfing the net.

There are other plans available for around 20GB of data... MILLENICOM and VERIZON JET PACK come to mind.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
You can also get sevice through ATT with Sierra module or Verizon with Jet Pack. Verizon has wider coverage area. Cheaper if packaged with your phones. ATT offers family plan. We get 2 phones and 10 GB of internet for $160 a month.

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
Cellular 4G internet, and Satellite TV would probably be the most common, though some campgrounds offer wifi and cable TV hookups.

EDIT: If you have Dish or DirecTV at home already, you can just buy a 2nd dish with a tripod mount OR one of the dome type auto/semi-auto satellite antennas and then just bring one of your set top boxes from home, no extra monthly fees.

If you have cable TV now and don't want to switch (or be locked into contract), Dish Network offers prepaid monthly service, though like most prepaid services you have to buy the set top box at full price first.