cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

iOS Automatic Downloads

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone here know how to stop iPads & iPhones from automatically downloading updates to iOS ?
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?
30 REPLIES 30

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
1492, you may have come up with the best option, thanks.

Seems some Apple heads just can't understand that some of us want to have SOME say in what's loaded when.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
Do Boats Count ?

Turns out my mobile data router has a preset option for openDNS. But otherwise, a custom DNS could easily be specified. So checked whether it would block a sub-domain as it would need to do in order to block mesu.apple.com. Used forum.trailerlife.com as a test, and openDNS did block traffic request with this warning:

But does not effect traffic to trailerlife.com, except for forums, so still have access to the site.

Again, this may be effective in blocking auto iOS downloads to all devices using your MiFi device. But needs to be tested.

As a reminder, you will also need to change the reference IP address if traveling. But literally takes less than a minute.

In addition, openDNS does provide an app for Windows/MAC/Linux to do so automatically, but need a PC to do so.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
The latest update (iOS 7.1.2) is only 32mb. Is that really something to get worked up about?
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

I don't believe the router firmware in Jetpacks or most other mobile hotspots support website blocking(blacklisting). I suppose one could try using a separate router as a wireless bridge, and set website blocking that way. But cumbersome as you'd have to use both devices for WiFi access. Essentially, the the router is getting its internet connection from the MiFi device

Another way may be to set the MiFi to use custom DNS such as the Free openDNS instead of Verizon. Then setup web content filtering in your online account by blacklisting mesu.apple.com. This should block Apple iOS updates for all devices connected to WiFi via the MiFi hotspot device. This being in theory, as never tried it personally. But can be tested using another website.

Update: openDNS content filtering(blacklisting) is based on the MiFi IP address. So if it changes, such as when traveling, you'll have to select the new IP address to filter, by making the changes in your online account for it to work. Takes less than a minute, but I suppose, could also become a task if having to update often?

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
Turning off automatic updates in the settings menu DOES NOT STOP automatic iOS updates. All apple devices WILL automatically download the latest iOS when

1. Device is plugged in
2. Connected to wifi.

Now, it will not automatically install, you still have to accept and start the installation, but the downloaded file is on your device consuming precious space until you do. You can tell because adding up all the free space apps and media does not equal the total. I realized my phone 4 had downloaded iOS7 because I had over 3gb "missing" This shows up as "other" in iTunes. Also if you check the software updates in settings it will say "Install" instead of "Download and Install" Once it is there, you can't get rid of the file short of a hack.

If you leave it long enough, as more recent updates come out, the device will even delete the older file and redownload the latest version. I was trying to keep iOS6 on my iPhone 4, and I watched the update change from 7.0 to 7.1 to 7.1.1, all while consuming over 3gb of my space.

You can block the above site in your router to block the iOS updates. It does not affect the app store which is a different server. You can also keep your device so full the file will not download. You can also turn off wifi anytime you plug it in.

It is very frustrating the level of control they insist on mantaining, but Apple has always been like this.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
If your router allows you to block websites, try blocking

mesu.apple.com

That is the server from which the IOS installer is downloaded.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I can think of is disable WiFi every time the phone is charging.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

gmctoyman wrote:
That turns off App updates, I want to turn off iOS updates. I have clarified my original post.

I now see that the issue is iOS updates downloading automatically, which only occur when connected to WiFi? But in this instance, the OP is using a separate mobile data hotspot for WiFi?

The short answer is that there is no way at present to turn off auto iOS downloads. Their mobile devices do not download iOS updates using in-device mobile data, but can't distinguish when WiFi access is also via a separate mobile data device. So can be just as bad.

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
I sorry but that update options through Itunes is not the one for IOS updates. I know this because? Two reasons, mine is set to update, and the IOS update always asks first, and second, if you look at what is written underneath the word it says for New Purchases, nothing about IOS updates.

"Apple doesn't dictate a "do it our way approach." They give you choices"
Yes they do give you choices. It is 'do it our way or else get everything that works better'

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Must be something broken. I have ALWAYS kept all of the automatic update switches off, on the iPhones AND iPads, yet when Apple decides I need an iOS update I get it.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
Do Boats Count ?

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
jorbill2or wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
gmctoyman wrote:
I use Millenicom and a router so 3 iPhones, AND 3 iPads down load sometimes irrelevant (for me) updates as Apple dictates. I really like the quality of my Apple toys but don't like the "do it our way" approach, about to go to Samsung ! Oh and iTunes SUCKS !

If iPad doesn't fix the stinking user unfriendly keyboard when it's time change I'm looking real hard else where also.

Wow sounds like your in luck ! .. The last tech podcast I listened ( mac break weekly ) about WDC said it seemed a new keyboard and the option for developers to create others was in the new iOS 8 ! Oh and a rumored iTunes revamp also .. Long overdue
As to the irrelevant updates ... wow again !! You haven't had to do that since well, forever ! As I see by the above instructions
๐Ÿ™‚

I will one happy guy!

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that it would be an easy programming function to be able to create an app or way so people could configure keyboards to any style they desire. Wonder why it hasn't been done. After all they are just simulated screens and not real hardware.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
ChopperBill wrote:
gmctoyman wrote:
I use Millenicom and a router so 3 iPhones, AND 3 iPads down load sometimes irrelevant (for me) updates as Apple dictates. I really like the quality of my Apple toys but don't like the "do it our way" approach, about to go to Samsung ! Oh and iTunes SUCKS !

If iPad doesn't fix the stinking user unfriendly keyboard when it's time change I'm looking real hard else where also.

Wow sounds like your in luck ! .. The last tech podcast I listened ( mac break weekly ) about WDC said it seemed a new keyboard and the option for developers to create others was in the new iOS 8 ! Oh and a rumored iTunes revamp also .. Long overdue
As to the irrelevant updates ... wow again !! You haven't had to do that since well, forever ! As I see by the above instructions
๐Ÿ™‚
Bill

I would also turn off "Use Cellular Data" which forces all iTunes downloads only when connected to WiFi, so you don't use mobile data for these. I also keep auto Updates off. I believe iOS only auto downloads on a WiFi connection anyway.