cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Directv stopping SD and what to do?

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
My friend and I were out with our MH's this . past week The camper in the next site told us that Directv was ending their SD service next month. My buddy with Direcdtv has an older 2004 Southwind with the older style crankup dish with the older style SD receiver and the original analog TV. The system works fine for him, but if the news is true, He's going to have to invest in new equipment. He tried calling Directv and couldn't get thru to anyone with information. Has anyone heard about them ending SD and any suggestions what to do? He's not going to spend $1,200 on a dish.
31 REPLIES 31

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Really? That's where this topic is going?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
A cathode ray tube is a tube type TV isn't it old timer. Don't scratch too hard. ??
No it is a solid state TV with a cathode ray tube as display.

But, enough of this...
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAS43 wrote:
My 2004 5th wheel came with a tube type television when new. It now has a digital Visio. Quite a chore hauling the old one out.
Makes sense money wise. Back then, LCDs were quite expensive. I paid $1400 for my first one.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
AsheGuy wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
My 2004 5th wheel came with a tube type television when new. It now has a digital Visio. Quite a chore hauling the old one out.

Us old timers scratch our heads at a statement like that, obviously you mean cathode ray tube but tube type TVs went away decades before 2004. 🙂

A cathode ray tube is a tube type TV isn't it old timer. Don't scratch too hard. ??

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
A 2004 rig should have a digital TV. Direct TV has been sending me emails to send at no charge new receivers. My problem is they cannot tell me which receivers need to be upgraded to receive the new signals from the satelites.

The 2007 Winnebago Outlook (a Class C) that I traded off in 2017 still had an analog only tv. I installed a digital to analog converter. It was far easier than re-doing the cabinetry to fit a new tv.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:

Us old timers scratch our heads at a statement like that, obviously you mean cathode ray tube but tube type TVs went away decades before 2004. 🙂
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
A 2004 rig should have a digital TV. Direct TV has been sending me emails to send at no charge new receivers. My problem is they cannot tell me which receivers need to be upgraded to receive the new signals from the satelites.

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
SFVdave wrote:
He runs his generator probably 8-12 hours a day to supply power to the TV and Directv receiver
Oh my. Must be pleasant to camp together and listen to that.

Actually, he only goes out to Rincon Parkway in Ventura and the surf and highway block the generator noise. His Onan 5500 is so quiet, we don't even know it's running unless you're right next to it. Folks out there in big MHs with residential fridges and 120v TVs have to run theirs a lot. When we were out there last week, I only ran my generator for 10 minutes to defrost something for dinner. Solar did the job.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
SFVdave wrote:
He runs his generator probably 8-12 hours a day to supply power to the TV and Directv receiver
Oh my. Must be pleasant to camp together and listen to that.

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Why would he need a digital to analog converter? Is his TV that old?

Yes, it's an 03 Magnavox square screen built in cathode ray tube 120 volt. I suggested he get a Jensen 12v like I have in my new class C. He runs his generator probably 8-12 hours a day to supply power to the TV and Directv receiver. My HD Jensen TV runs off the house batteries and I have a 400 watt inverter that supplies the 120v for my Dish receiver that also powers my Winegard Pathway X1 with room spare. Also, 300 watts of roof solar so I have minimized my generator use.
He would also need to provide 120v for the digital to analog converter. I'm not sure what the amp draw is on that but I would have to get it and the new Directv receiver to make sure he has a inverter to handle it. Like I said, my system works fine with just a 400 watt since my TV is 12. He going to need a larger one depending on what he upgrades.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
In NE Florida today. Still using my old SD receiver. Just now, on the Directv guide, our SD receiver is now showing 209-1 ESNa and 215-1 NHL channels. I’ve never had that before. I have an H-24 at home that I’ll hook up next weekend to see what happens.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
That's what he said.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker