cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jnnsen XRV10

dhuse
Explorer
Explorer
In my'19 Forza 34T, I have the Jensen XRV10 Radio/Camera/Blue Tooth unit. I checked the Owner's Manual and on-line and can find no information regarding the following: I'm trying to set my back-up camera as the primary camera always on when I'm going forward. What must I do to accomplish this? Tks

Doug
3 REPLIES 3

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
dhuse wrote:
Gdetrailer,
Thank you for the information. But, respectfully, I must disagree with you. The monitor goes on with the turn signals while moving forward. My previous MH showed the backup mirror while in drive. This is the way that I and other people monitored their toads and other things behind them for many years. The safety police don't considers this a distraction. As for modifying it, sounds like it would take a master technician to figure it all out and make a work around. Again, thanks.

Disagree if you like, sorry that you don't think it can be a safety issue having a glaring monitor on all the time.

Yes, it IS intentionally setup by your vehicle manufacturer to ONLY provide the monitor/camera when in reverse OR in your case WHEN THE TURN SIGNALS ARE ALSO ON.

THIS IS STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES CARRIED OUT ON MOST ANY VEHICLE WITH BACKUP AND OR SIDE CAMERAS.

Keeping in mind that Rear cameras ARE "required" by the NHTSA for ALL vehicles of 10K lbs GVWR and under. For vehicles OVER 10K lbs, it is optional but I suspect that if it is OEM installed IT WILL "CONFORM" to ALL of the technical requirements outlined in the link below.

See HERE

Modifying the behavior for an ELECTRONICS TECH should be do able, not so much for standard auto mechanics. However, in doing so you do need to understand that modifying this vision system MAY make your vehicle be out of compliance of the requirements per the document above..

Please note the following text from that document, especially the bolded part...

"On May 1, 2018, the other FMVSS 111 rearview system performance requirements, in addition to field of view, take effect.

Most of these involve system hardware and electronics characteristics, such as response time, linger time, deactivation, default view and durability.

Another requirement is image size, which can be affected by the camera and its location when replacing or relocating an OEM-supplied unit. Reviewing chassis manufacturersโ€™ incomplete vehicle documents will be an important first step in preparation for completing vehicles from chassis cabs, cutaways, etc. This will enable you to see what is involved with compliance to FMVSS 111 for the particular vehicle."

Because of the "non compliance" part, you might find that most auto mechanics not willing to touch your system to modify the characteristics.

Personally, since you are apparently not "Tech savy" AND if you really MUST have that rear camera I would suggest just buying an extra camera/monitor and DIY it yourself.. They do make "wireless" camera/monitor systems that would fit your bill.. The downside of those is sometimes the wireless units do not have much range and video might not always work as good as wired..

dhuse
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer,
Thank you for the information. But, respectfully, I must disagree with you. The monitor goes on with the turn signals while moving forward. My previous MH showed the backup mirror while in drive. This is the way that I and other people monitored their toads and other things behind them for many years. The safety police don't considers this a distraction. As for modifying it, sounds like it would take a master technician to figure it all out and make a work around. Again, thanks.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
dhuse wrote:
In my'19 Forza 34T, I have the Jensen XRV10 Radio/Camera/Blue Tooth unit. I checked the Owner's Manual and on-line and can find no information regarding the following: I'm trying to set my back-up camera as the primary camera always on when I'm going forward. What must I do to accomplish this? Tks

Doug

Per manual HERE

Parking Brake Inhibit

โ€ข When the โ€œBRAKEโ€ cable is connected to the brake switch, the display on the TFT monitor will display video only when the vehicle (PARKING BRAKE) is applied.

โ€ข Parking brake function is overridden when the video source is set to REVERSE.

โ€ข When the parking brake inhibit is active, the front monitor displays Warning information, preventing the driver from watching content while driving. Rear video screens are not affected.

There IS a reason as to why you can't find any information to do what you ask.. Simply put, the safety police does not allow your front video monitor on the radio unit to operate while going FORWARD..

There may even be a few laws you will be breaking in order to make the display to stay active while going forward.

Using the following information at your own risk..

As I read it, you would need to play around to find the REVERSE wire on the back of the radio which triggers the monitor parking brake over ride for the reverse camera.

That wire is either triggered by grounding or by applying +12, not sure since the user manual does not give any details on the wiring connections.

Alternately disable the parking brake wire, you will need to find the parking brake wire. Here to you will need to figure out if the trigger is by grounding or applying +12V.

In both cases, may wish to add a toggle switch somewhere so you can flip between the feature enabled or disabled..

On edit..

Forgot to also mention that the camera just might also ONLY be powered on when the reverse lights are on..

In other words, it may not be powered on all the time..

If this is the case, you will now have to search for the 12V power wire for the camera.. I suspect since most manufacturers tend to skimp by cutting out excess wiring that they could have connected via the tail lights at the rear of the vehicle, connecting to the backup bulb circuit..

In this case you would have to now run a 12V accessory/run wire back to the camera.. Making it a bit of a bigger challenge especially if you cannot find the power wire to the camera..