cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping printer ink cartridges good

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are full time and are still in the Yuma area. I just bought new ink cartridges to do my taxes at the end of February. Today I tried to print and the black cartridge is barely printing. It’s not that hot in here cause we do run the air. How can I keep ink so I don’t have to buy a new one every time I try to print something. Anyway to rejuvenate this one?
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
49 REPLIES 49

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
This is resurrecting an old post, but for those of you using laser, what printer do you have? Does bouncing during travel have any negative effect?
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
DiskDoctr wrote:
For lasers, keep in mind the power surge and draw 😉
Very good point for someone who plans on using them while boondocking or hooked up to questionable power sources. They do draw a lot of power when starting.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
For lasers, keep in mind the power surge and draw 😉

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
jcpainter wrote:
For those of you that are using B&W laser printers, a couple of questions.
  • Do they scan and copy like the all-in-one ink-jet printers?
  • If you are printing a document that contains color in it, will the B&W laser print the portion that is in color as B&W, or does it just not print that part?
Yes my Dell color laser scans, copies, prints in both color or B/W.
Yes a color image gets fully printed in a grayscale if B/W is selected.

Toner is still expensive but lasts seemingly forever. I pay the extra to get new from Dell but refills are available. Refills did not indicate the remaining toner so I stopped using them.

Mine has black and three separate color cartridges so you only replace what is needed. I go a couple years on some cartridges and they print fine.

I believe the model is Dell 1355 and it is old but working fine for a decade or more now.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
jcpainter wrote:
Almot wrote:
There is another very good reason NOT to use inkjet. In RV you don't usually have a designated office. Put an inkjet printed page on a wet counter or dinner table and see what happens. OTH, laser print dries out with no consequences.

I understand occasional need in color (at home) to print photos of grandchildren etc, but not in RV.

There are LOTS of other needs for printing color besides pictures.
I'll have to take your word that you need color, but we've never needed anything but black/gray for 7-8 years. Peggy prints out some photos using a small photo printer, but that's it for color. They could give me a color inkjet printer and I'd dump it first chance I got.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
There is another very good reason NOT to use inkjet. In RV you don't usually have a designated office. Put an inkjet printed page on a wet counter or dinner table and see what happens. OTH, laser print dries out with no consequences.

I understand occasional need in color (at home) to print photos of grandchildren etc, but not in RV.

There are LOTS of other needs for printing color besides pictures.

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of us live in our RV
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
You could save the scammers a lot of time and money and just post your personal info out in the open..
Done.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy a model with scanning/faxing/copying features, it will behave much like the inkjet variety. A black and white laser printer would print the color portion in greyscale, just like a typical black and white photo.

I bought a Dell wireless color laser (with scan/copy/fax) years ago for about $200. It sometimes goes nearly a year with no use, and never hiccups. Generic toner refills are available for about $10 each and last a long time.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that are using B&W laser printers, a couple of questions.
  • Do they scan and copy like the all-in-one ink-jet printers?
  • If you are printing a document that contains color in it, will the B&W laser print the portion that is in color as B&W, or does it just not print that part?

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
There are some informative youtube videos on this subject. I had the same problem and followed a tutorial. It had me get an ammonia based cleaner on a rag slid under the print head and letting it soak for awhile. I had mixed results and will probable buy a laser printer.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might try keeping a humidifier in the room. At 6% humidity, everything dries out.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gdetrailer wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Do your taxes online.

Even doing taxes online you SHOULD STILL PRINT OUT A HARD COPY and retain that documentation for 7 yrs.

IRS or State would have a field day if you are not able to reproduce your documents in the even of an audit..

Online stuff HAS a "habit" of "disappearing" into thin air.

I lose paper far more often than I lose electronic files. If you are worried about your harddrive failing, Pick up a $50 external and put a copy of everything on it. About once a month, I copy the entire harddrive over. Start it before going to bed and it will be done in the morning.

To the OP: If you really need something printed once every 3-6months, put a copy on a thumb drive and take it to the local print place. It will be cheaper, more reliable and you get space back in your RV.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
That ink isn't free. What do you think you're paying the monthly fee for? They even say so: "Your monthly fee pays for ink, shipping, and recycling."
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"