cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help finding elusive files on my laptop hard drive.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I have searched every way I know to find out what is eating up the hard drive space on my HP laptop. When I look at the “C” drive under “Computer” it tells me I only have 70 GB available out of 575 GB. This puzzles me because when searching all groups under the “C” drive I can only locate about 150 GB in use. The biggest group is “Users” at 113 GB followed by “Windows” at 26 GB and “Program Files (x86)” at 7 GB. All other categories are less than 1 GB. Everything I can add up leaves, conservatively, 240 GB unaccounted for.

In the initial setup of the computer I suspect that there is a duplicate set of files that I set up when the computer was new and I was dealing with the “Identities”. Never quite understood what I was doing at that point. I am the only user but I do have one identity set up as non-administrator with a different desktop and a Guest identity that it won’t let me delete.

Can anyone tell me how to search further and find out how to account for the other files that are using 200+ GB of space?
18 REPLIES 18

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on WinDirStat.

Download directly from the source.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

leaddog
Explorer
Explorer
I use a free program called WINDIRSTAT to monitor my hard drive.

Win Dir Stat - Download from CNET.COM
2008 40ft Tiffin Allegro Bus
2014 Honda CR-V AWD

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
I run a program called CCleaner (crap cleaner) that deletes temp files, etc.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first thing that comes to mind is a whole lot of temp files and junk. Right-click on C:, Properties, Disk cleanup. See what that does.

Another tactic: Look in Windows/temp. You could delete that entire directory and be ok. Check it out on google first if that's not something you want to do. At least in the 'old days' that used to be a huge repository of crap.

As for identities, I don't know.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman