Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solenoid as relay question- install inverter

eastbay
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All- 1st time post!

I'm attempting to wire an inverter into my coach outlets on my 1999 Born Free 24RB.

What I'm trying to do is install the inverter on a transfer switch to the outlets circuit only, as I will not be powering the microwave or A/C from the inverter.

This has all gotten a bit more complicated than perhaps it needs to be and I may be posting more about it later, but for this specific question-

I'd like to mount the inverter in a cabinet and don't want to ahve to use the power button on the inverter to turn it on and off. Since I had a hard time finding a 12v switch rated to 100 amps (1200 watts @ 12vdc) I had the idea to install a solenoid on the power line and switch that.

It seems like it will work but now I'm worried that if I leave it on overnight the solenoid itself will draw power to remain "closed".

This will be an issue since I usually leave my cell phone and laptop on charge overnight- if the solenoid is drawing much power it will be a long time drag on the battery for little benefit.

Maybe I should try hard to find a mount for the inverter where I can reach its power button easily.

Any advice appreciated!
24 REPLIES 24

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Will a cell phone use enough power to bring the MS 300w out of sleep mode?

RasMouSein
Explorer
Explorer
I did not see you talk about high amps devices.You could do like i'm about to install.
Get the Morningstar 300w Inverter pure sine, NO fan, automatic on/off. I will have dedicated outlet at each bed, table, and tv area. It will power all of my electronics needs. So for me I'll always have top notch power for my electronics even when plug at the campground.
It's a hobby for me to make things better!
See I was able to post using full words!!
Have a nice day ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 KZ, Sportsmen Classic 181BHS. 430Amp-h, Trimetric, 2kw Honda, Iota DLS-55_IQ4

eastbay
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to update/close this topic for now-

After the good advice offered here I did reconsider (chickened out) and decided to stay with the inverter plugged in to the cigarette lighter/extension cord route for awhile longer.

I also invested in a 12v macbook charger, so now everything can be charged off 12v.

Someday I very well may rework it to power all the outlets but I'll do it with an inverter with a built in transfer switch and remote on/off.

Thanks again for the help- very informative!

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
So, in the Born Free, how difficult would it be to run new 120 VAC wires from the inverter to the one or two outlets you want to be able to power off the inverter.

Again, could install an additional "inverter-fed" outlet OR just wire it to, say, the upper half of the outlet.
On mine, the converter/breaker center is located below the kitchen sink. There is one duplex receptacle below the sink that would be easy to hook up. But with my inverter hooked up to most of my outlets via the transfer relay, it's much more convenient.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
If your inverter has an on-off switch, you can extend the switch wiring with something like bell wire and relocate the switch to a convenient spot. I used a double gang box to hold an outlet and a switch side by side.

Automatic? Does your inverter have a standby mode?

HTH;
John

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
eastbay wrote:
Hello All- 1st time post!

I'm attempting to wire an inverter into my coach outlets on my 1999 Born Free 24RB.

What I'm trying to do is install the inverter on a transfer switch to the outlets circuit only, as I will not be powering the microwave or A/C from the inverter.

This has all gotten a bit more complicated than perhaps it needs to be and I may be posting more about it later, but for this specific question-

I'd like to mount the inverter in a cabinet and don't want to ahve to use the power button on the inverter to turn it on and off. Since I had a hard time finding a 12v switch rated to 100 amps (1200 watts @ 12vdc) I had the idea to install a solenoid on the power line and switch that.

It seems like it will work but now I'm worried that if I leave it on overnight the solenoid itself will draw power to remain "closed".

This will be an issue since I usually leave my cell phone and laptop on charge overnight- if the solenoid is drawing much power it will be a long time drag on the battery for little benefit.

Maybe I should try hard to find a mount for the inverter where I can reach its power button easily.

Any advice appreciated!

in an attempt to save you a rude awakening after installing the inverter, I would suggest you install a couple usb power outlets from your DC system to charge your phone and laptop...

Im not saying an inverter isnt handy at times, but for what you want to do it isnt practical...
most people use their inverter to run the microwave and/or the tv, but even a 12volt tv will be over twice as energy efficient than a 120v tv being run thru an inverter.

but if you insist on an inverter for your needs, and want something "automatic", you will be spending a bit more money on an inverter.. do a search for load sensing inverters...
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
So, in the Born Free, how difficult would it be to run new 120 VAC wires from the inverter to the one or two outlets you want to be able to power off the inverter.

Again, could install an additional "inverter-fed" outlet OR just wire it to, say, the upper half of the outlet.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Just as an example...

I love having my whole house inverter. Everything is powered by it, including the MW and AC.

I never turn the inverter "off" unless the trailer is in storage. Parasite AC and DC loads are about 10 amps combined. This is including television, various chargers, a small server, WiFi and cellular radios, COLP alarm, etc. A 400 amp-hour battery bank means I don't have to scrimp.

If I stop at a rest area for a lunch break on a hot day I can fire up the AC, microwave some pizza rolls and watch TV for an hour, without messing around with the generator. Getting back on the road, I'll start the generator in the truck bed and put back the electricity used.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome fellow Born Free owner. I did what you are trying to do by wiring in a 30 amp relay into the circuit feeding the outlets. I used a DPDT 30 amp 120 volt relay that I purchased at Grainger. Here's the schematic:

You will need to mount the relay in an electrical box. Then disconnect the Romex at the breaker for the outlets and connect that to the relay. Run a length of Romex from the relay back to the breaker.

A couldn't find the relay I used, but here's a suitable 40 amp one:
https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-120VAC-5X847

My 300 watt inverter has provisions for a remote switch which I wired up. It may be possible to wire in a remote switch on your existing inverter. You will have to open up your inverter and see how the switch is wired. If it's a simple SPST switch, you can solder wires onto the terminals and extend the switch to where you need it.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
AMAZON

USE THIS

Fimco 12V Wireless Remote Control
3.6 out of 5 stars 84 customer reviews
| 55 answered questions
Price: $25.39

To On/Off
The magnetic coil
Of THIS

PAC PAC-80 80-Amp Relay Battery Isolator
by PAC
$13.35

Would be effective to control up to a 750 watt rated inverter.

And it would be all wireless. Have something plugged into an outlet to glow and when it glows you know your inverter is ON.

Piece of cake. The big relay could care less which polarity goes into and out of the two magnetic coil terminals.

I just tested some 150 and 200 amp continuous solenoids (relays) and their coils consume under one amp of current. So the White Rogers listed above should be around a 3/4 amp draw.

I've done this a dozen times at least so it is reality not theory.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd suggest two inverters. One for charging laptops and below PSW in the 300 watt region so an electric heating blanket may be used, and a 2000 watt Prowatt from Best Converter (still in the "throw away" class) for powering all the outlets. Move the fridge and converter to a sub panel for the 120 volt shore power.

Or you can use male and female plugs as I chose to do. It makes it an "easy" way to change, in my case, because access for the power distribution box and breakers is under the bed.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
While a larger inverter would allow you to "plug in whatever" I suspect you would run down your small battery bank VERY quickly.

What size battery bank do you have (amp-hrs @12 VDC)?

And, as long as the transfer switch part could supply the total amps @120 VAC you want, as long as you are careful to limit those high amp appliances, you could wire it that way.

Another (good) option would be to wire specific outlets or even half of some outlets from the inverter. Then plug into that part of the outlet when you want inverted power and the other part if you want shore power or generator power.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

eastbay
Explorer
Explorer
True true. I guess that I'm looking at all these 120v outlets all wired in all over my rig (the BF has a LOT of them!) and thinking that it would be nice to be able to heat them all up and plug in whatever.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
eastbay wrote:
12V USB chargers and laptop power supplies are very easy to find.