cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic 4 Door Refrigerator with Ice Maker & Water Filter

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking a new to us MH 2009 Forest River Georgetown 378TS and it has a Dometic 4 Door Refrigerator with Ice Maker & Water Filter
I had a Norcold 1210 in my 5th wheel and replaced it with a Samsung RF 18 residential fridge so wonder if this Dometic is any better than my old Norcold.
Or should if we buy this MH replace the Dometic right away?
So my question is a Dometic any better built than Norcold?
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com
6 REPLIES 6

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Norcold 1200 is 18 yrs old and still going strong. Have had to replace a circuit board and the recall was done. I have never had a Dometic, but would choose a Norcold again.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
My Norcold 1200 is into 3 years of excellent service.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:
I really don't think one is better than the other. They both get a similar number of complaints here.

There are 10 times the complaints on this forum for Norcold LARGE refers as Dometic LARGE refers. But, complaints do not really justify reality. You post a problem, with your Norcold 1200/1210 and at least 5 posters that have a red *** for Norcold will chime in their ill informed opinion. Norcold 1200/1210 probably has at least 75% of the large RV refer market versus Dometic. Doug

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I really don't think one is better than the other. They both get a similar number of complaints here.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The Dometic was NOT as good as the Norcold 1200. There is NOTHING wrong with the Norcold 1200 in performance. The safety factor and recall have been blown completely out reason. IF I had a choice between a Dometic side by side or 4 door and a Norcold 1200/1210, I would opt for the 1200. The Dometic recall was for the exact same supposed problem and Dometic's was not as good and Dometic's covered ALL their RV refers, unlike Norcold, only covered the 1200 model. If you want residential and the unit is almost 10 years old, I would indeed install a Samsung. Doug

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Without a model number we can't help much, but you can check recalls for your model here: Dometic Recalls by Model (page down)

Based on age, I believe yours will not be included in the recall list. But run your model number through google to be sure. Note that this link also shows where Samsung had to recall some of their residential refers...so it's not only RV type refers.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.