cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need OTA DVR advice

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been using a Directv DVR for a while and DW loves the DVR capability. We really don't watch enough TV to justify keeping Directv, but DW wants to be able to keep recording her shows, mainly NPR. What is the best OTA DVR?

If I haven't provided enough details, just ask for anything else you need.

Thanks
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB
47 REPLIES 47

az99
Explorer
Explorer
My Roadtrek wrote:
az99 wrote:
$15 a month for the program guide? That is ridiculous when a Netflix subscription is $9.

If you ever have used a TIVO you would know it's much more than just a guide that you are paying for.
TIVO program guide.
If you think it is worth it that is great for you.
I think it is ridiculous to pay $15 a month for a guide of the OTA channels. That is 1/2 way to a basic cable subscription.
People on this post and others are trying to save money by cutting the cord. TIVO makes money selling you the hardware and keeps taking it out of your pocket forever if you want to use the hardware as designed.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
$15 a month for the program guide? That is ridiculous when a Netflix subscription is $9.

If you ever have used a TIVO you would know it's much more than just a guide that you are paying for.
TIVO program guide.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
It sure is.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Our local Walmart has the RCA Converter + Recorder for about $45.00. Has anyone tried one of these? It appears similar to the Homeworks device.

Tom, is this the one? clicky
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
starjumper wrote:
Tito Roamio is the way to go.. Bought ours on Amazon for 299.00 with lifetime Tivo service. Love it

And the cost of the Lifetime Service?
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Our local Walmart has the RCA Converter + Recorder for about $45.00. Has anyone tried one of these? It appears similar to the Homeworks device.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Channel master does give the option of recording the new shows only or all. The older version channel master, from what I have read did not. Also, I put a splitter on so I can record 2 programs at once and still watch a recorded program. If hooked up to internet, wifi or hardwired, there are lots of interent channels that appear in the channel guide. They just added sling tv in the recent update but have many, many others. Keep doing your research and figure out what is best for you. I know I for one wasn't going to pay for a channel guide every month. We have an antenna, netflix, slingtv at the fraction of the cost of what we used to pay for satellite tv.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

starjumper
Explorer
Explorer
Tito Roamio is the way to go.. Bought ours on Amazon for 299.00 with lifetime Tivo service. Love it
David M. Autrey

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the Channel Master DVR+ for $300 and no monthly guide fees. That to me is the deal breaker.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:

Cheaper than a Cable bill.
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Sure enough Bestbuy has an OTA only Tivo on their website for 50 bucks. Can't even find it on the Tivo website. Lifetime subscription is $600 and monthly is $15. Records about 75 hours of HD.
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

az99
Explorer
Explorer

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
The Magnavox (made by Funai) have worked great for me in two different motorhomes. ATSC/QAM tuners work for OTA and cable (digital and analog) as well.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
chris3403 wrote:
We recently went to Best Buy and purchased the Tivo Roamino for $49.95 You have to get a monthly subscription for an additional $15 month for the program guide. It records up to 75 hours of HD plus you can record 4 channels at the same time. My wife loves it

$49? Its near $300 on Amazon. You got a deal!
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
We recently went to Best Buy and purchased the Tivo Roamino for $49.95 You have to get a monthly subscription for an additional $15 month for the program guide. It records up to 75 hours of HD plus you can record 4 channels at the same time. My wife loves it
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.