cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need OTA DVR advice

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been using a Directv DVR for a while and DW loves the DVR capability. We really don't watch enough TV to justify keeping Directv, but DW wants to be able to keep recording her shows, mainly NPR. What is the best OTA DVR?

If I haven't provided enough details, just ask for anything else you need.

Thanks
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB
47 REPLIES 47

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right now, I am vacillating between the Channel Master DVR+, which looks excellent, and a Tablo. The Tablo can be used for a whole house DVR if I put a Chromecast on each television. The downside of the Tablo is a subscription channel guide, but I can do the lifetime subscription and just consider it part of the purchase price.

Does anyone know if the Tablo can be set to record all first episodes of a series?
Bobbo and Lin

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
I have three of the Magnavox DVR's, two in the house and one in the TT. They work great. The only problem I have had was wearing out a remote which was easily replaced. It has an internal tuner so you can record one show while watching another show. We don't have any cable at home and rarely have it while traveling so all we use is an antenna.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the Channel master will do that. What is won't do (compared to Tivo) is when recording all programs as opposed to new, it will record duplicates. The guide data it uses is very limited. It doesn't have an original air date or a episode number. Even my Dish Tailgater DVR has that. We have a 3 TB hard drive. Our Tivo crapped out on us (still the best IMO) but we have been generally happy with the CM. Record two shows at once, our Tailgater DVR has only one tuner. We have had 3 Tivos going back 15 years, all with Lifetime. I do like the external hard drive design, if it goes bad, just replace it.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

MrWizard
It has hdmi output for New tv's , yes you must use an external hard drive, there is no internal drive, yes your pc can access the files, use VLC media player free program to play them or MPC-HC
I EDIT them, remove commercials, using VideoRedo
Not free, but very good, worth the cost to me
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
We've been using Channel Master DVR+ for over a year now. For the TV guide: it will download the guide through WIFI or ethernet cable. You scroll through the guide (shows programming out about 2 weeks) and select a program to record, it'll ask you to record just that program, all of those programs, or just new versions of that program. You'll be able to watch/record any channels you get through your OTA antenna. No monthly fees.

You can also replay live TV.

We got the version with the small hard drive (it'll record and hour or two of programming) and added a 1 TB portable drive. Plugs into a USB port on the back of the DVR. Was about $75 a year ago. The 1 TB hard drive allows recording of many hours of programming, we've never gotten close to filling it up.

We also have Amazon Prime for the shipping and use it to watch movies etc.. through our smart TV.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here. I have been Googling them for days. That is why I have asked on here what actually works and is good.

The Homeworx looks like it lacks too many features to make DW happy. The Channel Master looks promising. I will look at the Magnavox TB560HS HD DVR.

The Channel Master says it will download a 14 day program guide if connected to the internet. It will sit about 2 feet above my router so I can hook an ethernet cable very easily.

DW likes to tell the DVR to, say, record all first run Star Talk episodes, then forget about it. Then let it find the time and channel of the program whenever and wherever it plays. If the Channel Master will let her do that, it is the front runner as of now.

While I don't want to throw away money, a $300 or $400 price tag isn't a deal breaker. We will save much more than that in the first year of no Directv subscription.
Bobbo and Lin

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many OTA DVRs out there. The one I use is no longer made however (They never updated to ATSC digital so it uses an digital converter) TiVo still makes 'em. as well as a host of others. Just Google.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great but it will $400 compared to about $40 for the one on New Egg/Amazon. For me, all I need is something when I cant get satellite.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I would wait and consider the brand new Magnavox TB560HS HD DVR just introduced this week at CES. This unit can record up to 6 HD programs simultaneously including OTA signals and has a 2TB internal drive.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I use a Homeworx PVR, with an external USB hard drive
There have been several threads regarding this same subject lately
The PVR is available on Amazon and Walmart $49 or less use hard drive of your choice

The New Egg description says "Converts Digital Broadcast to your Analog TV". I have flat screens which I assume are digital so will this work with it?

Do I read you right that you have to connect an external hard drive to it to record programs?

Thanks for patience with what are probably dumb questions. This sounds like what we could use when we have OTA but not satellite because of trees. Thanks.

EDIT: Read the Q&A on the New Egg site and got the answers to my questions above. E.g.,

"This is the device for you. Add a USB harddrive and you can set any HDTV OTA (over the air) program to record - just like you did on a VCR years ago. The recording is digital (no conversion to analog). The quality is excellent - as good as the original HDTV broadcast. It's about 5-8 GB per hour, so get a USB harddrive accordingly. Best $80-100 you can spend for the device plus, say a 1 TB, USB HD. Enjoy!"

I presume my TV can find the recordings via the menu and play back that way?

Thanks OP for this thread.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

az99
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
I also have both the MediaSonic Homeworx HW150 and HW180. The HW180 comes with a better remote IMO. They work well. You can generally get both from Newegg.com for less than $35.
I have tried these also. They do work but are certainly not a comparable replacement for a DTV DVR. It is what should be expected for $35.
They work but are not simple operation with multiple tuners that the OP may be looking for.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have two DVRs by Magnavox (Phillips) that we record OTA programs. We have had them for at least 5 years without any problems. I purchased them at Walmart but I believe they are available on Amazon. I suggest that you search for "Magnavox DVR" there and read some reviews.
Good luck!
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

I also have both the MediaSonic Homeworx HW150 and HW180. The HW180 comes with a better remote IMO. They work well. You can generally get both from Newegg.com for less than $35.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see that the PVR150 was suppose to be limited to 2 TB of HD and put a 3 TB drive on it with no issues.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what we have...
Channel master DVR
Along with slingtv and antenna we went from $113 to $22 + change a month. It works for us.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.