cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

older gps update

TheCanuckian
Explorer
Explorer
bought a Garmin 2270 at a garage sale. Cannot find a way to get an update. it is connected to computer ok, have downloaded all proper software.

when I try to update, Garmin says that the maps are not compatible with the StreetPilot 2270.

Any ideas, anyone......anyone....Ferris ??
2014 Bighorn 5th Wheel ---- 2012 Cedar Creek Cottage

Marc and Linda -2 Yorkies- LuLu and LollyPop

Endless Summer.... Quebec and Florida

Visit our Blog - The Canuckian๐Ÿ™‚
20 REPLIES 20

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
strollin wrote:
1775 wrote:
For the OP - when Garmin Express won't work, look on the Garmin website for their older software - "web updater". It tends to work when the newer Express won't. Make sure you are finding software for Garmin Street Pilot and not the more recent Nuvi. You may not find much in the way of updates for a pre-Nuvi unit - no maps unless you have a map subscription, maybe you might find satellite locator updates. If it works and it has maps that are close to correct, use it but be aware that if a road has changed over the years it will not know about the change (and only a map update by subscription will do that and then it is cheaper to buy a low end Garmin with Lifetime Maps included than buy a map subscription).

After reading this thread I decided to update the maps on my Street Pilot 7200 which I've had since 2007 and bought lifetime map updates. I tried the web browser addin update thing which told me to install Garmin Express. Garmin Express reported it didn't support the Street Pilot and directed me to download "GarminMapUpdater.exe". Downloaded that and ran it which then downloaded and installed the updated maps. Kind of roundabout but got it done.
That will work for some StreetPilots, but not all of them.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Garmin that I've had since 2000 still works perfectly. It can handle downloads of about one state at a time. Biggest problem is that it requires a serial port on my PC. Most don't have that anymore.

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
1775 wrote:
For the OP - when Garmin Express won't work, look on the Garmin website for their older software - "web updater". It tends to work when the newer Express won't. Make sure you are finding software for Garmin Street Pilot and not the more recent Nuvi. You may not find much in the way of updates for a pre-Nuvi unit - no maps unless you have a map subscription, maybe you might find satellite locator updates. If it works and it has maps that are close to correct, use it but be aware that if a road has changed over the years it will not know about the change (and only a map update by subscription will do that and then it is cheaper to buy a low end Garmin with Lifetime Maps included than buy a map subscription).

After reading this thread I decided to update the maps on my Street Pilot 7200 which I've had since 2007 and bought lifetime map updates. I tried the web browser addin update thing which told me to install Garmin Express. Garmin Express reported it didn't support the Street Pilot and directed me to download "GarminMapUpdater.exe". Downloaded that and ran it which then downloaded and installed the updated maps. Kind of roundabout but got it done.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
wow map updates are a scam to get info..... idk what to even say. maybe people should stop just using technology, since its obviously not for them

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, GIGO. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
A lot of the problems with a GPS is usually the same as a computer: the chair-keyboard interface. ๐Ÿ™‚

Computers do exactly what you tell them to do instead of what you want them to do.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had Garmin Nuvi's for over 10 years and I've never had any problems with any of Garmin's updates. As for the "stupid, unnecessary" part, I've not come across any of those.

A lot of the problems with a GPS is usually the same as a computer: the chair-keyboard interface. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Tom tom travel trailers ???

I know several people that have got in more trouble, and spent more money on stupid unnecessary updates from Garmin than I can remember.
You can buy a new one for 69 bucks w/ 1 yr war. and lifetime.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
cekkk wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

I have a very old, never been updated, virgin TomTom that still gets me where I want to go.:BI full time with it.

And lucky you, you haven't hooked up with TomTom's updaters. They screwed up both of my TTs. And I paid nearly a hundred $$ for the shafting......

How did a 'GPS' cause damage to an RV.:?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I would give Garmin a call. I had an old StreetPilot that I had paid for lifetime maps and a couple of weeks ago tried to update the maps and it wouldn't do it. I called Garmin and they said they no longer support the StreetPilot, but since I had paid for lifetime map updates, they were offering a free replacement unit. All I had to do was to send the old StreetPilot to them with their RMA number and they would ship the replacement with lifetime maps included. I did and they shipped it. It arrived a few days ago and is a much better unit than the old Street Pilot.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Explorer
Explorer
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

I have a very old, never been updated, virgin TomTom that still gets me where I want to go.:B

I full time with it.

And lucky you, you haven't hooked up with TomTom's updaters. They screwed up both of my TTs. And I paid nearly a hundred $$ for the shafting.

DW has Ford's SYNC system in her '13. What a loser that thing is. You have to pull over, get your reading glasses on to read the ery limited information it provides.

Best GPS I've got is on my Galaxy S5!
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
What kind of GPS is that? I've never heard of one that auto-corrects like you describe.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"