Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outdoor TV speakers

OK2NV
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

This is my first post in the forums. We just upgraded motorhomes and it has an outdoor TV. Anyway we are a little disappointed in the volume outside and are looking to add 'something' to improve the outdoor sound quality.

My question is has anyone used a soundbar outside? The sales guy I spoke to at Best Buy didn't recommend one and suggested we go with a surround sound system instead. Anyone with real world experience they would like to share?

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

I_rv
Explorer
Explorer
go to a thrift store ie. goodwill ,they always have computer speakers with a small amp.plug them into audio out they will sound great,oh yea you can make them loud enough to P.O. neighbors

OK2NV
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
My Samsung TV had a couple of settings that affected top volume. Could not hear outside until changing them. A small short sound bar should work fine outside and greatly improve the volume.

I will look to see if there are any different settings that I missed.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
My Samsung TV had a couple of settings that affected top volume. Could not hear outside until changing them. A small short sound bar should work fine outside and greatly improve the volume.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I hang a set of these on my rear ladder. Never have any complaints from neighbors after the first night.....they all leave.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Bose, not Boise.

Thanks, I would have never figured it out. .. dang autocorrect.
Agree the speakers on the back make for a bad neighbor and main reason I use headphones.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bose, not Boise.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Some flat screen TVs have speakers either on the bottom or rear of the TV (????) and that limits the projection of the sound unfortunately.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

MrWizard
The laughter from the campfire was too loud, the kids couldn't hear sponge Bob 🙂
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
It may just be a setting issue. You should be able to hear while sitting outside.

OK2NV
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice about being thick skinned. I am a member on another forum whose motto is "The weak will be killed and Eaten". Hope it doesn't get that bad here, LOL.

Actually I could really care less about the TV but we plan on doing some tailgating later in the year so I am trying to be prepared. What happened this past weekend was we had Niece's and Nephews visiting us and after dark they wanted to watch TV while we all talked around the fire and they couldn't hardly hear the TV outside. I didn't think the surround sound was a very good idea either.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Troll :@

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome and hang on as the sound police will be out in force... much the same as the generator police. I actually use headphones as they give much better sound and those with virgin ears have nothing to complain about other than the light from the TV spoiling seeing the stars.:W
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You do not want surround sound outside.

Before going any further, you are probably going to get a bunch of responses about the evils of watching television outside, and then the other camp about noise pollution. Just a warning, so get some thick skin real quick.

Soundbar.... yes ... good alternative. We started using soundbars on all our televisions. We have one in the camper and it also has the bass woofer. When we crank the volume, the entire trailer rumbles!

I haven't tried it outside yet, but if you can eliminate the bass, it should work very well.

Just remember, you want the volume loud enough you can hear it. But if you can hear it in your neighbor's campsite, it's too loud... thus the reason for no surround sound!

Most soundbars have a surround sound setting. Somehow it projects the sound and bounces off the walls and sounds like something came from over there, and then something else sounded like it came from over here. It's really quite interesting how it works. But if outside, there won't be anything for the sound to bounce off of, except the neighbor's camper, and this just isn't a good thing.

We have a Boise, and 2 different LG's. We like the Boise the best, but it's also the most expensive!