cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Photo program for Windows 8

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
After being forced to move from XP to Win8, we decided to buy a laptop so we could take it with us on the road. We used Corel Photo Album on the XP computer for downloading off the camera, sharing photos, etc. It was very simple and easy to use. I don't do a bunch of photo editing. Simply wanted to be able to have photos accessible in an easy format. It also had the capacity to do a "quick send", which reduced the size of the file being transmitted.
Does anyone know if there is a comparable program to use with Win8? The tile for photos seems to keep them in large format, and I can't figure out how to upload them onto Photobucket or other sites (like this one) that require a URL to make a post.

I don't want something with a lot of bells and whistles, because why pay $$$ for things I really don't want or need.
21 REPLIES 21

murphysranch
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using Picasa for years and I know nuthin' about editing and what not...It just works for me.
Empty nesters
2 cats
2 cattle dogs too!

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
Is there some reason why you can't use Corel Photo album with Windows 8? Have you tried to install it on your new laptop?

Personally, I have found very few programs of mine that I used with XP that haven't also worked on Win 7 & Win 8. Sometimes they may require a little bit of tweaking of the compatibility settings but other than that they work fine.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I use Adobe Lightroom, but it isn't a freebie. I'd probably also give the nod to Picasa.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we use Picasa.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I use ACDsee Pro for my work, but I'm also a serious amateur photographer.

ACDSee 17 is a lighter version of Pro. Its appears to be on sale right now.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
I second "Irfan View" for a simple easy to use photo editing program. The tool to resize photos is very easy to use. Best part is it's free just google it. Also use "Photobucket" to post photos on sites like this one.
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning to post photos on this forum you must have a hosting site that is available to anyone at any time. I use PhotoBucket.

A good free program for viewing your own photos and doing some editing is Irfan View. Just Google it.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory