cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pre-paid cellular data with longest shelf life?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
The subject says it all pretty much.

I'm looking for a pre-paid data provider with the best shelf life, that is, something I don't have to kick in more $$ every month even if I haven't used all the data.

This is for a telemetry system, usage is going to be only a few 100mb/month. never going to be streaming anything, the biggest demand will be downloading simple maps, and uploading telemetry data (lots of boring numbers.) Speed isn't important, but coverage is. Sprint and T-Mo have poor coverage in the area this is operating in.

Straight talk is the only prepay I'm familiar with, and it's expensive at $50 every 3 months, which is the 5gb data refill.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
28 REPLIES 28

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
one "issue" I had with tracfone was when I changed phones and switched service to the new one I didn't (I guess) mention to also switch the "service continuation plan" and discovered that instead of 1800 minutes I had 0 minutes of time. took some fussing and screaming but I got my minutes back.
bumpy

Yeah, sometimes transferring from old phone to new phone results in a botched transfer.. Resulting in having to call the customer service number..

Most of the time, it is seamless by using the online transfer (assuming you have another means to access the Internet while making the change).

IF the OP is looking for STRICTLY a Hot Spot or data tethering then they would NEED to "bring along" their own phones. Trac LOCKS their own phones you can purchase cheaply ($19 -$49)which means no hot spot, USB port, BT connection on their phones can be connected to a computer..

If that is the case (Hot spot only) then OP should consider the wireless Hot spots and those DO have a month to month obligation that the OP WILL need to keep track of.. However OP could ask if there is a yearly prepay, OP might even get a slight discount if they offer the yearly prepay option for a Hot spot..

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
one "issue" I had with tracfone was when I changed phones and switched service to the new one I didn't (I guess) mention to also switch the "service continuation plan" and discovered that instead of 1800 minutes I had 0 minutes of time. took some fussing and screaming but I got my minutes back.
bumpy

MrWizard
i think the OP's best chance is going to be one of the $5 per month 3g hot spot cellular plans and devices from Ebay

its cheap enough, but it use a wifi hospot NOT a phone, no calls, data only, only 3g, and it has to be renewed monthly, so you have to stay on top of it 'using top up cards, internet refill, or auto pay billing'
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Walmart internet on the go or internet-go.com. 45 for 2 gigs use it once every 60 days
Winnebago Access 24V

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
GordonThree wrote:
I'm looking for prepay data that doesn't expire after 30 days

Tracfones data does not "expire" after 30 days, it will rollover provided you have SERVICE DAYS..

I HAVE a Tracfone "smart phone" and have had it for nearly a year now and STILL have my data.. The only data I have lost is what I myself have used.

You can keep your data as long as you have service days.

Not sure where you got the idea that you loose data after 30 days?

You simply choose a plan with one year of service days to get started.. When you run out of data, you can simply buy data..

when you get close to the END of SERVICE DAYS you can simply buy another one year of SERVICE days (it will add voice, data, text along with service days..

The key here is you MUST maintain SERVICE DAYS if you do not wish to lose voice/data/text minutes.

With Trac and smart phones I have discovered an ugly secret though, EVERYTHING preloaded on these phones insist on using DATA to continually update (IE EVERY DAY).. You MUST either disable all the updates or check to see if you can set to update only on WiFi.. Or turn off the data and force the updates to use WiFi.. otherwise the updates will use up all your data.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for prepay data that doesn't expire after 30 days

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
with the trac fone service can you get wifi calling?
bumpy

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Re tracphone, the minutes seem to not expire, as long as you pay at least something regularly. .

when I last bought time and I think currently you buy time/minutes on cards, 30 days with 300 minutes, etc. and most phones will double/triple minutes.but you must get/activate another card before that time is up or you will lose your minutes. that is why I think the year card for $99 or so with ???? minutes tripled is the way to go. once you build up minutes you can retain them with the service continuation plans I think it is called for about $6 a month.
bumpy

With Tracfone you do not "have" to buy a "card".

You can setup a online account with Trac, go to their website and buy service days/minutes/data directly from their website.

If you are a light user like myself I can easily get away with buying any of their one year of service deals. which typically will cost about $100.

On smart phones however there are a few "catches" that you do need to be watchful.. Smart phones do not qualify for any "promo codes" but they do triple the minutes/data. Smart phones if you buy say 400 minutes of talk you get 1200 minutes of talk, 1200 texts, 1200 minutes of data.

With smart phones there is also some flexibility in the fact if you are a heavy data user or text user you can simply buy TEXT OR DATA minutes (last time I looked, it was $10 for 1 gig and $5 for 1000 texts).

You really NEED to go through the Trac website and compare, do not just buy cards at your local retail store! The website also offers MORE variety of plans that retail outlets, for instance you can only buy a 1 yr 400 minute card in retail, but the website offers up to 1,500 minutes plans.

They do have two separate "plans" to buy from, one is for NON SMART PHONES and one IS FOR SMART PHONES.. Make the choice that will work the best for you.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Re tracphone, the minutes seem to not expire, as long as you pay at least something regularly. .

when I last bought time and I think currently you buy time/minutes on cards, 30 days with 300 minutes, etc. and most phones will double/triple minutes.but you must get/activate another card before that time is up or you will lose your minutes. that is why I think the year card for $99 or so with ???? minutes tripled is the way to go. once you build up minutes you can retain them with the service continuation plans I think it is called for about $6 a month.
bumpy

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Re tracphone, the minutes seem to not expire, as long as you pay at least something regularly. The data appears to expire after 30 days, lowest cost option I could find is $16/monthly for 500mb?. Under Tracphone's other brand, SmartTalk, I can get 5gb LTE on Verizon for 3 mo at $16.67 monthly.

TING wireless is also $16/monthly, for 1gb... not sure if Ting is another Tracphone brand, or if the pricing is coincidental. $6 "access fee" and $10 for data, no talk or txt included.

I'd like to find something under $50 per year or about $4 a month. Looks like that's not possible right now.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Take a look at Tracfone. I've used their voice plans for years. They have smart phones now, or bring you own, and data plans. See if they can meet your needs.
http://www.tracfone.com/

yep, I've had a tracfone for years. got the annual service for under $100 at sam's club that came with lots of minutes doubled or tripled depending on phone. since I did not use it all that much my minutes ended up being quite a stash so I switched to a service retaining plan at $6 a month IIRC. thought of switching back to the annual plan for $100 instead of $72 and getting more minutes? but then just got a new galaxy S7.
bumpy

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure what they offer for Data but I use a Cellular signal for my "Temp Alarm" from Page Plus Cellular. I pay 10 bucks for a 100 minute plan that is good for 4 months. Since the only time it dials is when there is an alarm condition..it works well for me. Might be worth a look if they offer a Data Plan.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Most cell phone providers have prepaid phone plans, shop around.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Take a look at Tracfone. I've used their voice plans for years. They have smart phones now, or bring you own, and data plans. See if they can meet your needs.
http://www.tracfone.com/
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed