cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

problem with satellite cable

gscudder
Explorer
Explorer
This weekend we purchased the Vu-Cube and our dish network package.
We have a 2013 Dutchman voltage.

Here is the issue, I tried hooking the cable from the dish into the cable/satellite "in box" on the side of the RV.

We got no signal inside the coach.

To the right of the antenna connection inside the coach (the one with the 12VDC outlet and booster switch) there are two other coax cable outlets on one panel that are connected by a 3 inch piece of cable creating a loop.

I tried the satellite box on all three of the outlet studs and got no signal at any of them.

I ended up running the cable through the window and got signal however that is not the way I want my NEW Rv to run.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
thanks, Gregg
Retire Abrams Master Gunner (Army)
12 REPLIES 12

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
A satellite signal will pass through an A/B switch without issue. Also, while you can use the same cable for satellite and cable you cannot do so without modifying how that connection is make when making that change. Simply plugging a cable into a port marked Satellite/Cable and expecting either to work without further intervention is not going to happen.
Poor Gregg must be getting quite confused.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

tanman32225
Explorer
Explorer
Oh I see where your going with the A/B switch.. you are exactly right if you wished to have both cable and satellite inputted at the same time. The problem is the satellite signal will not pass thru the A/B switch without major issues. You are back to square one. Yes it is assumed, at least by me, that the input is either satellite alone or disconnect it and connect cable alone. Not a simultaneous feed.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
gscudder wrote:
The sticker above the coax cable jack on the side of my BRAND NEW 2013 Dutchman Voltage says "Cable/Satellite".

Gregg

As I mentioned above, this could be the case. Now you will need to find that "something" inside the coach (usually an A/B type switch) that lets you either send the satellite signal to your receiver or the cable signal go to your TV's.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
tanman32225 wrote:
Bill.Winegard wrote:
There should not be a cable connection on your coach that is labeled Cable/Satellite since these would either need to be 2 separate connections or there would have to be an actual A/B switch (not a video switcher) inside the coach that would allow that one single cable to go directly to your satellite receiver when connected to satellite or to the cable splitter for that programming to go directly to your TV's.
The coax cabling in the RV is not the issue (unless it's damaged) as the older RG-59 (never heard of RG-8 being used in an RV)runs are short enough as not to be at issue if your coach happens to have them.
What kind of coach is this and is it new or used.

Not trying to undermine you but some of your information is either incorrect or old school. You DO NOT need a separate sat cable. Both sat or cable can feed on the same line if and only if there is not a splitter between the source and the sat box. You cannot split that input cable and you DO NOT need an A/B switch or separate line for cable and the Sat.. If the line coming in has integrity with good connections the either/or satellite or cable can use the same line if the pre-mentioned parameters are met however not at the same time obviously.

I have one line in. I use either sat or cable.. either/or to feed my system.. NO A/B switch needed. I would be happy to send u Dutchmen schematic if you would like to peruse it for how its done.

You certainly could also use a diplexer to separate a cable signal from a satellite signal but I have never seen one used on a RV from the manufacturer. That means that you cannot use the "same" cable to do Satellite or Cable without changing connection options somewhere (A/B switch is easiest).
However, if that cable connection uses any splitters anywhere, that setup would be unusable with a satellite connection.

gscudder
Explorer
Explorer
The sticker above the coax cable jack on the side of my BRAND NEW 2013 Dutchman Voltage says "Cable/Satellite".

Gregg

tanman32225
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Winegard wrote:
There should not be a cable connection on your coach that is labeled Cable/Satellite since these would either need to be 2 separate connections or there would have to be an actual A/B switch (not a video switcher) inside the coach that would allow that one single cable to go directly to your satellite receiver when connected to satellite or to the cable splitter for that programming to go directly to your TV's.
The coax cabling in the RV is not the issue (unless it's damaged) as the older RG-59 (never heard of RG-8 being used in an RV)runs are short enough as not to be at issue if your coach happens to have them.

Not trying to undermine you but some of your information is either incorrect or old school. You DO NOT need a separate sat cable. Both sat or cable can feed on the same line if and only if there is not a splitter between the source and the sat box. You cannot split that input cable and you DO NOT need an A/B switch or separate line for cable and the Sat.. If the line coming in has integrity with good connections the either/or satellite or cable can use the same line if the pre-mentioned parameters are met however not at the same time obviously.

I have one line in. I use either sat or cable.. either/or to feed my system.. NO A/B switch needed. I would be happy to send u Dutchmen schematic if you would like to peruse it for how its done.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The coax cabling in the RV is not the issue (unless it's damaged) as the older RG-59 (never heard of RG-8 being used in an RV) runs are short enough as not to be at issue if your coach happens to have them.

gscudder
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Everyone!!

I believe you guys nailled it for me, It's hard to believe I bought a 100k and they used **** cables and conectors Great work Dutchman!!!
Thanks again for the info!

bigdaddogg1
Explorer
Explorer
One other thing you might check is the cable you are using from the Vue Qube to the outside connector. It will only work with RG-6 cable. The regular old RG-8 cable won't carry the signal.

At least that's what the satellite dude told me when I had the same problem with mine. LOL
"The only bad thing about being retired is you never get a day off"

2006 Sunnybrook 28RKFS 5th Wheel
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Diesel 6 speed auto

tanman32225
Explorer
Explorer
This is a very common problem with satellite systems. You do not need a dedicated line to the satellite box but you do need a clean line. From the outside the line should go to one side of the loop cable. It could be either the top or bottom of the loop. Think of the loop cable, the little 3 incher one, as the receiver box for the satellite box where you have cable going in and cable out to tv. It basically makes a loop through the sat box. The 12vdc outlet is a amp for your over the air tv. There is a small black button on that amp. When u press it it toggles a light on and off. Basically it runs one side , the return side, of the small loop through the tv amp, light on, or bypasses it and continues through the rest of the system of the RV. I hope your still not lost at this point.

With all the above said I will bet you have typical crappy connections on the coax cables. If they are old school hex crimp which I bet they are, they need changing out with a good connector. Not all connections are acceptable for the satellite. This is the hard part. Finding a cable guy to pay or give you the necessary parts and special tool to put on compression fittings an 80 percent of your problem is gone... I mean all the fittings. From the outside to the tv's. Now you also need to get rid of all the crappy 10 cent splitters the RV company uses.. Again I suggest going with your cable guy or sat guy. They buy top notch stuff. All your woes will disappear.

Now to make it work take out the 3 inch loop and substitute lets say two 18 inch lines non looped. Just 18 inch jumpers. Hook one to the sat/in and one to the tv/out then the other ends back to the two connectors where the small loop was. Again the sat box becomes the loop basically. Now make sure the small button is pushed where the light is OFF. You should now have sat tv in your RV at all points.

A point to remember with satellite. You CANNOT split the signal before the Sat box. You can split it after.

If you go to a camp site that has provided cable tv. Make sure the loop is completed without the sat box.

If you wish to watch OTA tv the Amp button must be pushed and the light on with the loop again completed.

I hope this helps. I redid mine even after taking it back to the dealer where they used crappy crimp connections. I have the proper tools and connectors and finally just did it all myself.. works like a dream.

gscudder
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above, I did that and ran a cable through the window and it worked, I really don't want to have to do this to have satellite tv, the unit (RV) should be able to handle it through its built in cableing.
Thanks

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Run a cable directly from the receiver to the View cube, bypassing all cabling in the trailer. If it works, you don't have and will need a dedicated cable for the satellite. It cannot go through any splitters or the amplifier.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore