cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDW 8 - Install program CD

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
First, I bought a LT Toshiba with WDW8 by default - worst money I ever spent = WDW8. Will skip the words I'm thinking at the moment.

But, I have a Photoshop CD and it won't load - I can't even find the install part of the WDW8 ... when I go to the managing window, it tells me it can uninstall, and security, etc, a buncha other stuff, and everything BUT install ad CD. I've tried every button and launch possible - probably something easy and I'm missing it.

It also won't auto-play for install either - each time I ask it to install the CD, it tells me "go to auto-play" and when I do that, it tells me I don't have an app for installing. WHAT?

I've opened it and clicked on setup.exe and install.exe, and open and all the 'normal' stuff - but nothing. It even opens a window that says PHOTOSHOP INSTALL ... but then nothing happens.

SO can anyone explain how I can get it to read and install this, or am I stuck with buying a new Photoshop, which I won't do, and will dump this WDW8 as soon as I return home - we're on a trip now and wish I'd have thought to bring it.

And this WDW8 monster is filled with a million things - little squares the continuously pop up that want me to BUY something I don't want, and no matter what I do, it wants me to buy something again. What a waste of money... And I forgot my WDW7 program disks, or I'd dump this immediately and load WDW7 ... End of rant.

On another PC here, I have my WDW7 ... and in a new thread, I'm asking if I can unload that WDW7 and load it here without the original disks. Maybe I can do that - but for anyone that wants to know - don't buy WDW8 if you can possibly avoid it.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
14 REPLIES 14

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Classic Shell at Cnet.com

Download Classic Shell from the link above or at Classic Shell home page. (I use CNET because they have been a very trustworthy site for me over the years.)

This will restore the W7 desktop appearance and take away some of the frustrations you are having.

Then go to Photoshop.com and ask your questions on their blog site. If you problem is common they should have an answer for you.

On my new W8 machine, I found that I had to tell the disk drive software when to run certain types of CD and DVD disks before it would recognize the disk in the drive and know what to do with it.

The software that uses the drive on my HP machine is Cyber Suite. Yours likely will be different but might need your instructions to begin using the disc drive. Mine did. (Previous new machines prior to W8 just worked without instruction.)
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I do not have my Win 8 system in front of me so will do this from memory.
Open File Explorer by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering File Explorer in the search box, tapping or clicking Apps, and then tapping or clicking File Explorer. Before I clicked on File Explorer, I selected it and pinned to Task Bar. This makes it constantly available on the Windows Explorer App tile. Then I go to the Windows Explorer App tile, open the File Explorer from the Task Bar and can run anything from any file, anywhere, including CD/DVD.

monkey44 wrote:

SO, next Q? I have my other laptop with me - A Dell - can I remove this Toshiba HD and install the Dell HD in here and use it? It has all my programs and all my data on it already, including WDW7 - When I bought the Dell, I bought a new HD (faster and bigger) and installed a new WDW7 copy on it (I bought the discs for WDW7) and installed it direct on the new HD.

No! The Window 7 HD is registered to the DELL's hardware and drivers. You could very well get a BSOD installing it into your Toshiba. Worst yet, it may no longer even boot when placed back into your DELL. If you're lucky, a repair may restore the HD. It other cases, it will take a complete fresh reinstall.

You don't have to buy a new Office Suite. Have you tried the free, open source Libre Office? It's compatible of most all MS files. This is what I use even-though I have Microsoft Office 2010 at work.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Most of the advice here is good for someone that can understand it, but my CPU knowledge is hit-miss, and most often miss. I try and then usually blow it.

Having said that - I also have several MSWord and Photoshop programs only a few years old that work fine on WDW7 ... Now suddenly, nothing will load on this WDW8, and even when someone sends me an attachment, (A real p...s off here) it converts it to the new one and tells me I need to buy it to open it or download it.

An example: I just got a 300 pages paper after an editor sent it back with edits - now, when I open it, it reads like a foreign language, and it will not download without me buying the new Word program. (HOT, HOT, and Steaming at the moment)

My MSWord program works on the laptop, but Outlook will not allow me to download anything new. SO, now everything that comes in tells me I need new programs. That is the real "mad maker" here because I already bought it once and it works fine - so, now it's making me buy it twice.

I also have Thunderbird, so will try that and see - and if it works, will abandon Outlook completely -

SO, next Q? I have my other laptop with me - A Dell - can I remove this Toshiba HD and install the Dell HD in here and use it? It has all my programs and all my data on it already, including WDW7 - When I bought the Dell, I bought a new HD (faster and bigger) and installed a new WDW7 copy on it (I bought the discs for WDW7) and installed it direct on the new HD.

SO, I would then trash can this WDW8 - I know, maybe some think I should not, and learn it and buy the new versions. But it really, really rings my bell when a company like MS 'forces' me to buy a new program when the one I have does everything I want it to do ... except load the programs I bought once.

One very, very hot Monkey here! Been fighting this battle for more than a month, and most of it on the road, which makes it even more difficult...

Problem: I can change to gmail or whatever, and trash Outlook Express hotmail, but then ten years of contacts will not have my new one. But maybe that's an answer, change to gmail and monitor hotmail. Hmmmmmm that's the trouble I get in because I only know enough about tech stuff to get me in trouble. Microsoft has certainly become annoying ... no wonder they got sued!
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

joebedford wrote:
What is WDW8?

Windows 8

Dream_Chaser! wrote:
My own experience says it is not an easy job. I finally took the hard drive out of the laptop and to it to a repair shop and asked them to remove all partitions and format the drive so it would work with Win7.

You can do this fairly straightforward yourself by downloading the freeware EaseUS Partition Master 9.2.2 Free Edition.

I chose a different route when I purchased my latest NetBook. It came with WIN 7 Home Premium installed. First, shrunk the existing hd partition by 50% using Windows Disk Management. Purchased and downloaded the WIN 8 Pro upgrade for $15. from Microsoft. Elected to make a self booting USB WIN 8 install flash drive, and choose custom install using the unallocated hd space created previously. Had to first change the boot order in my Acer by pressing the F2 key at start-up for the USB drive. Upon installation, this allowed for a dual boot OS environment, so have a choice to run either WIN 7 or WIN 8 on start-up.

I can easily adjust the hd partition allocation space between the two OS as needed. Or if decide I only need one OS in the future, can just delete the other partition, and expand the space for the existing OS to use.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a Windows 8 laptop for six months and it's really not that difficult to get it to act and feel like Windows 7. Just download the free Classic Shell and it will return the START button and menu. Then turn off all the "Gestures" on your touchpad and that will prevent stuff from popping up.

As for Photoshop, you must be using a copy that is too old to be supported under Windows 8; my CS2 Photoshop loaded just fine.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Strollin: "Have you tried using your favorite search engine to find Photoshop specific help?"

Nope, usually RV.net give up anything I need ... so here first.

What makes you think it's a Windows 8 problem?

Because it's new and everything I try to do it acting up and driving me nuts and even the things that work, work weird - I simply don't like it and never will, and will probably buy a new HD and put wdw7 on it - and keep the LT -- And there's NO start button, so you gotta go all over some other places to find what you need ... and even then, it sometimes goes to a full face window, with no way to 'go back' and no buttons, it just sits there and you rip out one hair at a time and frazzle one nerve, then start over ... Did I say this wdw8 s...ks ... yes.

The POPUPS are 'tiles', part of the wdw8 program, I think, or at least loaded on this LT when I bought it. WDW8 really s...ks IMHO
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to follow this thread, my Eldest DD is about to change three brand new laptops to Win7 from Win8 and I am upgrading my netbook to Win7-Home Ultimate. Neither my SIL or DD like 8 and the third laptop is for my DGS for graduation to Mid School. His Mom doesn't know anything aabout 8 and the rest of her family uses 7. We found real, legitimete Win7 keys for $24.00.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
What is WDW8?

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
You might get more useful help by asking about installing Photoshop on a Windows 8 computer in a forum dedicated to Photoshop instead of an RV forum. Adobe forums. You haven't even mentioned what version of Photoshop you are trying to install so it would be difficult for us to give any useful help.

Have you tried using your favorite search engine to find Photoshop specific help?

What makes you think it's a Windows 8 problem?

I suspect you may have a virus/malware. I have never had little squares pop up asking me to buy things I don't want on any of the computers I use Win 8 on.

If people could just get past the Start screen they would realize that Win 8 really isn't that radically different from Win 7.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

Dream_Chaser_
Explorer
Explorer
My own experience says it is not an easy job. I finally took the hard drive out of the laptop and to it to a repair shop and asked them to remove all partitions and format the drive so it would work with Win7. Then did a complete install of Win7. Some drivers were not found and had to search internet for them.

After all the frustrations, Win7 is working well and it is something I understand.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a 5.00 program and a few free programs which will make you windows 8 computer work like and look like windows 7 I can't for the life of me remember the name ( I don't use windows ) but I've heard several people love the new look it provides ... Perhaps someone can suggest what it's called
Bill

monkey44 wrote:

On another PC here, I have my WDW7 ... and in a new thread, I'm asking if I can unload that WDW7 and load it here without the original disks. Maybe I can do that - but for anyone that wants to know - don't buy WDW8 if you can possibly avoid it.

I believe you can still download the full WIN 7 .iso install file from Microsoft authorized servers, and just burn it to a DVD yourself. But you will still need a WIN 7 specific license for that particular notebook. Microsoft does allow downgrading if you're notebook came with Windows 8 Pro, but the process can be somewhat confusing - Understanding downgrade rights. Even so, some manufacturers don't support downgrading.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Toshiba with windows 7, it took me some looking to find a new one without windows 8. Some stuff won't work on windows 8.