cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about streaming tv from phone to TV

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
I have AT&T with unlimited data and can stream tv shows on my phone through Directv and use no data. I was wondering can you use Chromecast or something else to send the tv shows from my phone to the TV while in the RV? How can you make this work?
From my understanding the Chromecast has to have a wifi signal but can I use my IPhone hot spot to do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated and please make it a simple as possible I am not a technology guru by no means! LOL
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains
22 REPLIES 22

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
gemert wrote:
ulvik wrote:
No wifi, no DSL and I have a smart phone. Just want to watch direct TV off of my phone. I just want some tv when we are boondocking.

Without wifi you are going to have to plug your phone directly into the TV. Use the cable you found on Amazon. I have one and it works. I bought it because I am still considering obtaining ATT unlimited plan if I can't get a Verizon plan.

Will not work on IPhone using the Direct TV app.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

MrWizard
Ok thanks
Now it's up to the OP now, the hdmi cable adapter is going to be the cheapest
But the Apple tv airplay is more convenient, provided he has the correct phone and the $$ for the Apple tv
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The part of this question I plead ignorance on is the Binge On part.

I just did some quick reading on it and since DTV is including a free ATV with one of their Binge streaming packages, I m guessing yes.

But to answer your question another way; I unplugged my router/WAP, started streaming Youtube using my cell data, turned on Airplay Mirroring (as I have done many times before) and streamed away.

No hotspot turned on or even bluetooth. Wifi yes. If you turn wifi off tv and phone can't-don't talk.

They Mirroring part I would think is transparent to your data function. The cell is streaming to your phone. Period.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

MrWizard
So this will stream from online from Netflix to the Apple tv
No router, no Wi-Fi network, using cellular data, but no hotspot

This is not something I presently need to worry about just clarifying the operation

So a person that has binge on , could watch video on the tv via iphone and Apple tv ?
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
So with my iPhone 6S in the same room as my Apple TV (Gen 4) if you swipe up, you get a shortcut menu and on that menu is a button that reads Airplay Mirroring. Tap it it and anything that is on your screen is now magically playing on your TV.

Pictures, music, Youtube, CBS, ESPN; Whatever you can download from your cell connection can be watched on Apple TV.

Wifi needs to be on on the phone, but no router or internet connection required. I just went an turned off my router to verify a few minutes ago.

Hotspot not enabled. The phone and Apple TV connect via the phones wifi chipset.

I unfortunately dumped Directv for Dish awhile ago before they did the "Watch all the Directv you want on your phone, no data limit" promotion. So I would have to watch my data unless on wifi.

I could not be more pleased with the new Apple TV.

For $150, you are getting an iPod/iPhone for your tv. It has an Apple A8 Dual Core processor and 64 GB of memory.

You download apps from the AppStore just like an iPhone and it is a very solid functional player for Netflix, etc and it has SIRI.

Like I said "Siri I want to watch Netflix Breaking Bad Season 4 episode 2" and its up.

MrWizard
So your saying
The Apple tv will do ad hoc Wi-Fi from iphone
While the phone still maintains a cellular data connection to stream the movie from Netflix or whatever

That sounds like Wi-Fi hot spot to me, something the "Binge On" does not support

Please inform us how this works, with out actually turning on hot spot services ethic incur extra data charges
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The wifi circuitry.

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
gemert wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
You dont say if you have an iPhone but if you do, with Apple TV you can watch anything you can watch on your iPhone on your TV with one swipe.

The new Apple TV is pretty cool. Its basically an Iphone for your tv. You can download apps from the app store and it also has SIRI, so you can say things like "Netflix Breaking Bad season one, episode five" and it goes and gets it.

The remote is smart and it has a swipe pad for a mouse experience on your tv.

He said he doesn't have wifi.

You don't need wifi. He can stream onto the phone, phone to the Apple TV.

Sorry didn't realize!! Bluetooth?
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
gemert wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
You dont say if you have an iPhone but if you do, with Apple TV you can watch anything you can watch on your iPhone on your TV with one swipe.

The new Apple TV is pretty cool. Its basically an Iphone for your tv. You can download apps from the app store and it also has SIRI, so you can say things like "Netflix Breaking Bad season one, episode five" and it goes and gets it.

You don't need wifi. He can stream onto the phone, phone to the Apple TV.

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:

Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
Okie1 wrote:
We got a T Mobil hot spot for about $40 a month with unlimited streaming of Netflix, Hulu and other streaming services. It works really well, we are going to discontinue our satellite service.

I agree the T mobil "binge on" works great but T-Mobil's coverage is not "great". Not bad I guess but when we were out west the coverage sucked and when we connected to one of their partner sites the speed was 2G and unsuitable for streaming. I guess it depends on where you go. we are going to Alaska this coming summer so looking for options to keep the kids from going nuts at night. Sat TV may be the way.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
I like Roku. It has built in capability of sharing screen from phone to HDMI connector on TV. Pretty sure they all need to be connected to same hotspot.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
We got a T Mobil hot spot for about $40 a month with unlimited streaming of Netflix, Hulu and other streaming services. It works really well, we are going to discontinue our satellite service.
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...