Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Tikotin.com" browser hijack help!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, all

Anybody heard of "tikotin.com'??? This thing got into our 'puter a few days ago- I'm blaming hubby LOL- and displaced our regular browsers. NOW I can't even search the web for how to get rid of it. I finally got it to "allow" me to use Chrome- my old browser- but everything I search defaults to "(find whatever) on tubechop". What the heck????

Ideas/instructions/links to help pages would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, I hope!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien
9 REPLIES 9

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Hooray! Hubby decided to try the suggestions in the order they were offered, and the very first one (see below) worked- thanks 1492!
1492 wrote:
Download and run AdwCleaner. It targets and removes browser hijacks. Run a Scan first, then do a Clean. Followup with the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Per last couple of questions about anti-virus protection: we do have it installed, but I'm not sure this was exactly a virus. I think one of us sort of "invited it in" via one of those downloads where the fine print has the user "agreeing" to switch browsers, and that's what happened. Why the weird redirect of searches to tubechop happened, I guess we'll NEVER know. Fortunately I could get here via my bookmarks.

Anyway...I think I'm good for now. RV.net saves my bacon again- thanks to all!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
sherlock62 wrote:
A very small minority these days are foolish enough not to have anti-virus software.
It'll be a hoot if she is running some. But thanks for the insult.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Just out of curiosity.. are you running any kind of virus protection? I do not.

A very small minority these days are foolish enough not to have anti-virus software.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just out of curiosity.. are you running any kind of virus protection? I do not.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks...I'll report back when I find which one does the job!

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
trying a system restore to a week ago could be your best first step. You should then be able to search for complete removal instructions.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you go here?

Youtube has stuff too!

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to instructions on how to remove tikotin. I have no idea if it works or not.
Link
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Download and run AdwCleaner. It targets and removes browser hijacks. Run a Scan first, then do a Clean. Followup with the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.