cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Range Extending Cell Phone antenna for TC

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do these things work? Thinking about my next mod and this is on the list. I have at&t and the dw has verizon. Thanks in advance.

Nolan
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads
15 REPLIES 15

Eva13
Explorer
Explorer
This has got to be the largest range of RV cell phone signal boosters (pricewise, too): https://www.signalbooster.com/collections/usa-rv-cell-phone-signal-boosters

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a WeBoost Drive 4G installed in the coach, and while it does help boost the signals, I'm not all that impressed with it. The short range of the internal antenna is particularly vexing when two people have cell devices they want to use without have to shuffle seating each time to be near the antenna. I'm waiting patiently for Maximum Signal to get a patent troll of their back so they can begin shipping their new MaxAmp Mobile RV 4G/LTE booster/repeater that promises complete coverage inside the RV.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am happy to report one of my favorite boondocking locations in anza Borrego where I always had No service, went to -71DB

without cell extender

with cell extender

I now feel a lot safer out there if something happened I am that much more capable of reaching someone in an emergency, oh it is also nice to check rv.net as well ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
My Wilson Sleek will generally gain me about 2 bars. I set my MiFi in it, but obviously can be used for a cell phone also.

tmartin000
Explorer II
Explorer II
great vid too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4dG2HJmkzo&list=PLIsusUNNN2JZ5nOWViuChY7-EDUdEzK-7&index=1
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
tmartin000 wrote:
Here is the screaming deal from flea bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilson-Mobile-4G-50dB-Cell-Phone-Signal-Booster-Amplifier-Kit-460108-/201493542583?hash=item2ee9f376b7:g:QagAAOSwAYtWOScc

boy you made that easy, thanks so much!! I was on the fence and just placed my order. I found it also on amazon for the $249 price from Wilson, hopefully it being refurbished won't bite me in the you know what.

Nolan

tmartin000
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is the screaming deal from flea bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilson-Mobile-4G-50dB-Cell-Phone-Signal-Booster-Amplifier-Kit-460108-/201493542583?hash=item2ee9f376b7:g:QagAAOSwAYtWOScc
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Wayne,
Jeanie uses the internet a lot for her BSF and as president of the local chapter of PEO. A lot. Just those two groups are like a full time, on line job. As for me, I'm on a lot with the music business connection, downloading music out of copyright to arrange for my four Compline choirs. Getting on RV.net is the least bandwidth eating destination I have...unless I load a pic. No pic loading today. 8<)
We do a juggling act now using the least problematic platform at the moment. We are out of the country for a couple weeks this month, so we're using a lot the Hughes bandwidth as we cannot take that with us.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jefe, your experience with Hughes Net is interesting. I too have Hughes Net. I read many bad reviews with Hughes Net, but had very few options. I have had Hughes Net now for over a year, with no problems, other than it being very pricey. I have the 10 GB plan.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the Wilson a couple weeks ago and went from one dot to one dot and only 3g. This is at home and after searching all the windows for the best reception boost. We also bought the 'auto' kit which can be used either place. Closer to civilization we get up to 5 dots reception on our ATT account on up to 4g.
The reason we bought the Wilson was because our Hughes Net satellite service is not good at all. The latency is from 3 seconds to 4 minutes, depending. Even having the highest plan available (20Gigs/month) when the g.kids are over with all their electronic devices the allowance drops quickly. So, the way to extend our bandwidth is to attach the iPhone to the wilson and turn on 'personal hotspot' in the settings and buy an upgrade plan with ATT. So, now we have an additional 20 Gigs going through ATT with no latency. There is some weirdness. We live about 20 miles from I-80 going over the Sierra in central CA. This is the location of our tower. During peak hours, like when the ski bums are going back to San Franciso, the service slows way down. A lot of people sucking on the bandwidth. Off hours, we're good.
I have not used it yet in the TC, but later this winter will be the test. We'll see.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

KRumm
Explorer
Explorer
Check out eBay... I just got a open box Wilson 460108 4g booster for $239

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from the TC Forum.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
There are different versions. Be sure to get one that does all 4G. It will boost 4g, 3g and 1x. They are not magic. They will take weak signal and boost it to usable signal. I have 4 or 5 boosters. All by Wilson Electronics now called Weboost. The older Wilson branded stuff is usually cheaper than the new Weboost box.

I have a booster capable of 4 devices in the truck. Usually it powers our two smartphones. We have signal when no one else has it. I typically have enough data for Pandora. Occasionally I will turn off the booster. All cell signal goes away. If you use the booster in the city with a strong signal environment it might slow down your data.

When offroad in my Jeep I am the only person that can call, text or search Google when no one has enough signal to accomplish anything. These may work better with Verizon 3g and 1x than the AT&T 3g and 1x. 4g boost will be about the same. This has to do with the difference of CDMA vs GSM signal. I've read through some of the negative reviews. It seems some people were looking for a magic genie to create a cell tower. There are some variables in play with a booster. Ground plane? Use the center of the vehicle hood. The actual phone. Motorola and newer Samsung devices work best. It does work on Mifi, Iphones and dumbphones. Expect 1-3db stronger signal with Motorola and newer Samsung. Verizon and Sprint 3g and 1x will get the most benefit. The weather can affect cellphone signal. It's called ducting.

Weboost does make alternative antennas. These all have tradeoffs. The included 4" rubber antenna is mostly neutral with 4g, 3g and 1x. The "Better" antennas usually sacrifice one set of signal to benefit other areas. For example, the "Better" antenna may have great 4g signal while hurting 3g and 1x. Test with actual signal level. Do NOT use the amount of signal bars on your phone. This is easily fooled and can be off. Apple was in trouble a few years ago. The phone would say 5bars of signal when it was barely connecting. Always check actual signal level. Android is in the Setting/About device. Apple has a code for the dialer.

If you are way in the sticks it may take a moment to find the right area for signal. One time I had to move my camper 30ft to find enough signal to boost. I was the only person for miles with call/text. Data was not available.

Here is what I use in the towrig, prices subject to change, I did use a different reseller:

Amazon link for $369

Wilson Sleek is a single device only. Refurb is cheaper. Again, it's getting harder to find the older Wilson name. The new company name of Weboost will be easier to find.

Wilson Sleek

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
I asked the same question a couple months back. I found a good deal on a WEBoost (Wilson Electronics Booster) on Amazon. it was an open box item guaranteed by Amazon.

I went from 0-1 bar to 4-5 bars. Mounted mine on my house TV antenna and the internal next to the easy chair in the living room. I wrote a good review w/ pics on the weboost website. I got the 3G home one.

Ben
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD