cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Router

Kevarino
Explorer
Explorer
I want to build a network I can run my NAS and serve movies with a Plex server.

Is there a router that can do all this and bring in the campground WiFi and a Verizon Jetpack as well?
Kevin and Barbara
2007 Winnebago Tour 40 TD
Cummings ISL 400
27 REPLIES 27

mustard
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps "Connectify" would be something to look at.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had the wife order a TPLINK unit today that doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles.

It's been a long time since I've played with DD-WRT (over a decade), do you recall where the setting is to only allow log in via cat5?

I'll play with it this weekend. Also had a long chat with park office manager about their wifi. As I thought, one of the owners, who thinks he's a tech guy designed the system. They are bringing a true expert in next week. Big surprise, their total line capacity is a whopping 5M. Several hundred users on a 5M pipeline, seriously? LOL I also suggested they bring in much faster service and charge people that want faster service. Seems simple to me ๐Ÿ™‚

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
It mostly makes sense, but I'm extremely tired right now.

I put a high gain antenna on my WRT54G that allowed me to sit out on the lake and use the house wifi with my laptop ๐Ÿ™‚ The range was phenomenal. Also experimented with a script that automatically searched for "open" wifi. I found a business almost 1/2 mile away that was open. Don't find that too often anymore.

I'll have to try it this weekend where our park model trailer is located. I'm a bit on the fringe of receiving a good signal. Only problem, they have two different broadcast names, and sometimes one works and sometimes the other works.

Anytime you scan and log into the park wifi with the WRT54G, it's hard wired to your laptop then? Why do you do that? Guess I better figure out how to turn off wifi on my new laptop!

Any particular reason for netgear, or will any modern router work? I had a freaking awesome ASUS at my B&M, that one day decided it had enough. Running off the AT&T modem/router now.

Your big high-gain antennas should help. But just the extra power of the router and being able to place it high is the big benefit. The TX power can be adjusted some with DD-WRT. The WiFi range of some laptops and most phones is poor.
I have seen the auto search talked about, but never tried that.
The Netgrear router is just a router, was on the shelf at Walmart at a price I was willing to spend. So anything you have laying around will work for that.
I made the Linksys GUI hard wire because sometimes itโ€™s like an open network, no security if Iโ€™m connecting to an open network. This way no one can login and make changes even if they could get past user name and password. Not something you have to do, just something I did. I have also changed the router IP address. I do that as a matter of set up for any router. Not sure it matters, but doesnโ€™t hurt.
I keep a โ€œcheat sheetโ€ with User name & password the IP addresses and directions in the trailer. I might not use them for months, and memory ainโ€™t what it used to be.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext Gigabit Travel AC Router. 70 bucks on Amazon.

I like that one.

One thing that still puzzles me since I'm a software guy and no nuttin about networking, is inbound connections.

I wanna ssh *into* the Raspberry Pis in the RV from the house.
Will port-forwarding be enough or would a private VPN help?

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
It mostly makes sense, but I'm extremely tired right now.

I put a high gain antenna on my WRT54G that allowed me to sit out on the lake and use the house wifi with my laptop ๐Ÿ™‚ The range was phenomenal. Also experimented with a script that automatically searched for "open" wifi. I found a business almost 1/2 mile away that was open. Don't find that too often anymore.

I'll have to try it this weekend where our park model trailer is located. I'm a bit on the fringe of receiving a good signal. Only problem, they have two different broadcast names, and sometimes one works and sometimes the other works.

Anytime you scan and log into the park wifi with the WRT54G, it's hard wired to your laptop then? Why do you do that? Guess I better figure out how to turn off wifi on my new laptop!

Any particular reason for netgear, or will any modern router work? I had a freaking awesome ASUS at my B&M, that one day decided it had enough. Running off the AT&T modem/router now.

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just installed a TP-Link AC750 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router connected to my Ubiquiti LocoM2 wireless to wired device. Both work really well. TP-Link was very easy to configure for my LAN in the 5er. All my devices can share the camp ground wifi.

Housted

TP link on amazon
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
mikrotik can do it as well, but not for the weak of heart.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ll try.
The Netgear router is setup normal, just like I would at home. Only change I ever make to it is channel.

The DD-WRT router is basically just a network adapter that outputs via a LAN cable. The Linksys router feeds the Netgear with a short network cable from 1 of the Linksys LAN ports to the Netgear Wan Port putting us behind the Netgearโ€™s firewall.
The DD-WRT is set to Under Wireless> Basic Settings. Client and Mixed. My Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing) is at 2000, Mode is Bridged. Security tab disable SPI firewall. This stays the same
To get new network Go to Stats Tab> Wireless, Site survey at bottom of page. Click, select network from list and click the join button on right. It should take you back to Wireless Basic, and have SSID of network you joined. Next select the Wireless Security tab and select WIFI Security type and enter passphrase or key. Often itโ€™s disabled. I apply settings then save. It will take a minute to make the โ€œHandshakeโ€ but when the light on the front lights your in. I open a new tab and try a website, if I get it itโ€™s done.
I have my DD-WRT router set so I can not change settings wireless, I must use a LAN cable. This means that while doing this I must turn the laptop WiFi off.
DD-WRT router is a WRT54G-TM (sold thru T-Mobile)
DD-WRT router Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/08/09) mega - build 12874

Most times the routers will sit on the top shelf in the front wardrobe of our 5โ€™ver Itโ€™s up high and there is 110 power there. But I have set them in the cabinet above the rear window. You have to look for the campground AP and work from there.

I do hope this makes sense.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocamprs wrote:
I run a old WRT54G Linksys with DD-WRT as a client bridge to access campground WiFi. It feeds a Netgear R6020 router that all our devices connect with. Through put is better with the client bridge setup than having the Linksys as a repeater. Campground network only sees 1 device, and we are behind a hardware firewall. Helps with signal strength, but bandwidth is still an issue.

Care to explain the set up better with this somewhat tech savvy reader?

I have a WRT54G with DD-WRT that is not doing a thing right now.

How do you connect it to campground wifi? How is your net gear connected to the DD-WRT? Do you have to do anything special so that your devices are not visible through the firewall?

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
I run a old WRT54G Linksys with DD-WRT as a client bridge to access campground WiFi. It feeds a Netgear R6020 router that all our devices connect with. Through put is better with the client bridge setup than having the Linksys as a repeater. Campground network only sees 1 device, and we are behind a hardware firewall. Helps with signal strength, but bandwidth is still an issue.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW

Kevarino
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You
Kevin and Barbara
2007 Winnebago Tour 40 TD
Cummings ISL 400

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext Gigabit Travel AC Router. 70 bucks on Amazon.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Kevarino wrote:
I want to build a network I can run my NAS and serve movies with a Plex server.

Is there a router that can do all this and bring in the campground WiFi and a Verizon Jetpack as well?

The WiFi Ranger GoAC router has Ethernet ports and will accept WAN input from a cellular hotspot. The company has an additional external radio/antenna that connects to the GoAC to pick up campground or other WIFI.