cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite Finder Meters

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
Interested in any experience with relatively cheap satellite finder meters to be used on Dish Network. Not talking about the $10.00 stuff but units like SATlink WS-6908 on Amazon in the $120.00 range. Will they work on Dish Network? Are they any good?

I now use the $10.00 meter and wireless camera to look at my TV screen when setting up the dish. This works fine but Iโ€™m curious about the stand-alone meters.
Lou
25 REPLIES 25

gscudder
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Dish for my RV App. for my I-phone, no problems so far.
Retire Abrams Master Gunner (Army)

bobsue2
Explorer
Explorer
I've got this one on my phone...kinda a like it...easy to use...

Satellite AR
2013 Key Largo
12 MegaCab 3500 DRW 4x4 18k Superslide 19.5 Michelin LDX-2

bobsue2
Explorer
Explorer
Which app is the one you posted a screen shot of?

LINK
2013 Key Largo

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
bobsue2 wrote:
There are a few app's that you can install on your smart phone that'll point out any satellite you may want to locate....

Which app is the one you posted a screen shot of?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

bobsue2
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few app's that you can install on your smart phone that'll point out any satellite you may want to locate....

2013 Key Largo

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
LScamper wrote:
Thanks for the info on the Acutrac. It was one that I thought about. It is now discontinued but your link may have one.

They come and go. If you get one, when the original batteries go, just use regular Duracells.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info on the Acutrac. It was one that I thought about. It is now discontinued but your link may have one.

"For my travels, I have marks on my tripod. Once I get the middle post in the tripod level, and then the mark pointed with my compass to North, I just put the dish on the pole, align the marks (which are on the dish and pole also), and I'm within a degree or two. It works pretty good, at least from Central Indiana to Iowa to Southern Indiana."

That is almost the way I setup my antenna now. When the meter screams I still need to look at the TV to peak the signal. The meter shows the highest signal and the screams loudest when the antenna is pointed a little west of the best signal shown on the TV as monitored with a wireless backup camera.

As for why I need a meter, I don't! I like toys and thought this would be handy. Some of the functions on some of the meters look interesting and I'm just asking if anyone has any experience with them.
Lou

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
For my travels, I have marks on my tripod. Once I get the middle post in the tripod level, and then the mark pointed with my compass to North, I just put the dish on the pole, align the marks (which are on the dish and pole also), and I'm within a degree or two. It works pretty good, at least from Central Indiana to Iowa to Southern Indiana.

I use one of the Radio Shack detectors. I'm finally figuring it out to make it work easier too. The secrete is to set up the sensitivity where it just "almost" begins to scream. Then when I hit the signal, it screams!

The problem with DISH and watching the TV screen, it takes several seconds up to a minute or more for the receiver to recognize the signal from the dish. So that means moving the dish a speck at a time, waiting for the signal to catch up and show on screen. And if the dish is really way off, it's almost impossible to find.

So, having the tick-marks brings it in close, and the screaching satalite finder brings the signal in pretty fast, much faster than what I see on the television.

If your cheap-o one is working, why change? Just experiment with it a while. That's what I had to do. It still takes a little time, but hey ... we're camping ... we should never be in a hurry anyway! Right?!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will break sat finders down into 3 groups.. And give my recommendation (Type 3)

1: Those little in-line analog meters that basically find each and every satellite in the KU band and are thus absolutly useless. They cost about 20 bucks more or less and are not worth 20 cents in my book.. Well perhaps 20 cents, I mean I can scavage the meter out of 'em and use it for other things.

The second is a class of digital sat finder meters like the triple meter described above, these units contain their own power and you hook them up, they tell you WHAT satellite(s) you have found so you know if you are peaked where you wish to be Cost ranges from around 100 used to several thousand new. They work well but the price is high.

The third is our Sat Receiver.. MOST receivers have a Sat Finder built in.

Just hook up a small battery operated COLOR tv with enough coax to reach the antenna. leave the receiver on the proper menu page and watch the TV as you aim. The cost is low, and Well. Dish Network's software compares with the "Thousands of dollars new" meter I did not name above.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know anything about the SATlink WS-6908.

However, I recommend the Accutrac III plus. I use it to peak signals on my DISH 1000.4 sat dish.

The Accutrac displays the signal strength of all 3 DISH sats simultaneously. Very handy because as you adjust the sat dish you see the results immediately. Note that it does not identify sats, but that's not a big deal when you peak 3 at the same time.

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suppose all meters are good, if, you know how to use them.

I would think your camera would be just fine. Why do you need a meter and a camera?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman