cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite meter

SDM
Explorer
Explorer
I have Direct tv at home and are going to take with us in RV. First of all have to have a dish to get Direct TV HD. Do I need a meter to help find the satellites. Also can I use our receiver box from home and not have to pay another fee, beings will not be using it at 2 locations at the same time. Had a problem at home and had to have dish realigned and he use a meter. He said it was better but not necessary. How do do find the satellites on your set up?

Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I have a meter which I don't use. I found it better to adjust the dish without it. That being said, if you're ever in the Tucson area, I'll give it to you. Same goes for anybody on this forum. Just send me a message if you're coming. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
SDM wrote:
Is your tripod bought as a unit with the dish? I see a lot of different tripods out there. Is one better than the other?

This is the heavy duty tripod that I used.
I'm sure that some tripods are better than others. The tripod can be anchored with long nails and/or a suspended weight for those windy days. I also added these furniture adjustable glides to make it easy to level the mast.

Here is the DirecTV dish system that I bought. You would still need to buy a 3'(for the LNB) and a 50' piece of RG-6 coax and any additional RG-6 coax for inside the trailer.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

SDM
Explorer
Explorer
Is your tripod bought as a unit with the dish? I see a lot of different tripods out there. Is one better than the other?

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Here is our setup for DirecTV. Setup and alignment is pretty simple. I use the signal strength meter in the HR44 receiver. I can glance in the side window of the trailer and also listen to the beep.

Here is the app I use for setting the Tilt(LNB skew), Elevation, and Azimuth. It uses the GPS on the phone.

Here is a composite of the signal strengths that I receive.

There is also another very good app called Satellite AR which lets you visualize where the DirecTV satellites are for your location.

Tip: You set the Tilt and Elevation after you have leveled the mast. Before you bolt the reflector on use a compass or the compass on the SatFinder app to approximate the correct azimuth by visually aligning the LNB with the mast assembly. It will save you time.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
OP,

The national channels are spot beamed and once you drive several miles you have to call DTV and have the service address changed.

That's funny. We've never done that. Grabbed the receiver from the bedroom and headed out. Unless maybe you're talking about receiving local channels?
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
SDM wrote:
What meter do you use?

The cheapest one you can buy. I think I paid $13.00 for mine. Once you use it and get an idea where to point, it gets easier every time, and if you're like me, you won't need the meter anymore. Not even sure where mine is. We use our DirecTV receiver from home- the one in the bedroom. Never tried the Genie that we have in the living room.
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

Bill-R
Explorer
Explorer
go to tv4rv.com, they have all the information you will need and sell the equipment you will need also. You can e-mail questions to them or call them also. Very good people
Bill Roop
1989 36'ft DP Executive

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Fire19 wrote:
If you really want to have a meter that works real good and you are a techie I really like the Supper Buddy Satellite meter you can pick them off E-Bay for around $200-300. dollars.

x12
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I found those cheap analog meters to be ****, There are some nice digital meters but the ANTENNA POINTING page on the Receiver is better But that is just my opinion.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP,

The national channels are spot beamed and once you drive several miles you have to call DTV and have the service address changed.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Belgique wrote:
My Genie HR 44-200 beeps.
Yes. I don't think OP has that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The meter Roy posted works well for SD which DTV will no longer support after 2019. I'd also get a meter that supports SWM which is apparently where DTV is headed. The HR44 is SWM only. These meters are $$$.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Fire19
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want to have a meter that works real good and you are a techie I really like the Supper Buddy Satellite meter you can pick them off E-Bay for around $200-300. dollars.
2000 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab
2002 Gulfstream Seahawk 29FKS
1998 GL1500SE

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
2oldman wrote:
I'm not holding my breath that DTV will ever put the beeps back in.

My Genie HR 44-200 beeps.

Mine too!! :B
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams