cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite Reception at Yellowstone National Park

2freelife
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to work at Yellowstone for the summer. I'll be at Grant Village. Does anyone know if a satellite can be spotted from this location? I'd like to have t.v. reception if possible.
15 REPLIES 15

Like2Travel
Explorer
Explorer
2freelife wrote:
I'm going to work at Yellowstone for the summer. I'll be at Grant Village. Does anyone know if a satellite can be spotted from this location? I'd like to have t.v. reception if possible.

2freelife, you didn't mention who you were going to work for or what type of RV you have. DW and I worked at Grant for Delaware North in the summers of 2007 and 2008. That has been some time back but as far as TV goes, I doubt that much has changed. No OTA. Satellite works well there as long as you don't have any trees blocking you. One reason for asking who you would be working for is that controls where you will be living. There are three employee campgrounds in Grant. Two of these are shared by Delaware North and Xanterra. A third one is used by the Yellowstone Association and others. If you are going to be a campground host, you will be living in the campground. Living in the campground will probably be the toughest place to get TV. All of the other employee campgrounds have spots that are open enough to get satellite OK. I had Direct then and had no problems either summer. But, I had 100' of cable with me and used nearly all of it both summers. If you happened to have a Motorhome with a mounted dish, you could still likely find a parking spot where the dish will pick up OK.
Good luck and have fun. We loved our two summers there.
John & Evelyn
2013 Dodge Ram Larimie 2500HD 4X2 Crew Cab 3.42
Outback 28 FRLS Sydney
Dodge Builtin Brake Control
B&W Companion Hitch
2 Trojan T105's
:C

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Below is an image from Google Earth showing Grant Village. A portion of the main Park visitor campground is in the top left corner and is marked with a green dot. No RVs show as white dots in this campground, as the satellite image was taken before the campground opened for the season.

I'm pretty sure the workcamper area is in the center lower portion of the picture. Zooming in with Google Earth shows the white dots to be RVs. The other buildings in the same area are likely to be housing for Park personnel. There is a path through the trees between the General Store and this area, another indication that this area is for workcampers and other personnel.

Zooming in shows two other areas where RVs are parked. One is in the top right edge and the other is a circular area near center on the left edge.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why are we wandering off to OTA TV reception. The OP could care less. He just wants to be able to receive SAT TV and has concerns about the trees.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to the TV Fool antenna pointing site, there's a low power repeater about 42 miles from Grant Village. Other than that, the next closest TV tower appears to be 110 miles away.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grant Village is nearly tree free so that area should not be a problem but I could not locate an RV park using Google Earth nearby. Mammoth Hot Spring RV park (dry camp I believe) is near there but you will want to find out exactly where the park is located and ask them about trees in the area.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Grainy analog tv signal does not translate into a digital signal. I was in Yosemite Valley and able to pick up a descent channel from San Francisco in 2009 on the last night before analog was turned off. The next day when everything went digital only, I got nothing.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are towns not terribly far away with TV signals. Back in the day of antennas, an especially tall one (probably with some kind of booster) was able to pull in a grainy picture from a channel in Idaho Falls. That was 1969 - watched the moon landing on that TV, located at Lake.

Hope the OP is able to find out the answer - and that it's positive for at least satellite reception.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Don't rule out using the OTA BATWING antenna for picking up the NATL BROADCAST digital TV from local towns for free... Might be good backup method for you... Local HDTV just might be transmitting to you from a mtn site.

Roy Ken

Sounds like you have never been to Yellowstone?:)

There are no towns anywhere near that would have a TV station.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Since you will be working in the Park, there is probably a specific camping area for workcampers, probably not a part of the Grant Village campground. A call to the company you are working for should get factual info on exactly where you will be sited and whether satellite reception will be possible.

A quick look with Google Earth shows two locations to the southeast of the Visitor Center area where a number of RVs are parked. Since the main campground was closed when the satellite image was taken on 6/8/13, these RVs probably belong to the workcampers.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
No issues as long as you have a clear sight line to the south. Have fun working at Yellowstone!!!

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
no ota reception in yellowstone

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
As said, as long as you have a clear sky view to the south, you should be good to go. DISH subscribers with access to both the eastern and western arc birds have more aiming options than Direct subscribers, but either one should work with a good sight line.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't rule out using the OTA BATWING antenna for picking up the NATL BROADCAST digital TV from local towns for free... Might be good backup method for you... Local HDTV just might be transmitting to you from a mtn site.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Other than trees there are not any mountains close enough to block the signal.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...