cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite TV options

jeff__h
Explorer
Explorer
At home we have cable so I've never done the satellite thing before.

Our camper is mostly in the same spot all year long but I do pull it out a few times a year and travel with it.

Here is what the wife and I want. The ability to only pay for the camping months that we want.

I presume that we will need a satellite dish and receiver that we own since we don't want a contract.

So far all I have seen is the Tailgater from Dish. It is about $500 and does what we want, but it is a bit pricy. What are my other options?
13 REPLIES 13

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I like Dish Network and am glad to pay their price for quality TV anywhere I travel. I sure was bored beyond words before I got it. Thank goodness for satellite's that can send a signal back to earth.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you use the camper often enough both DISH and DIREC offer options that let you suspend service for a period of time.. I can not, however, give you the details.

Personally I think the Dish pay as you go system is a bit.... High priced.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the factory link on my favorite portable dish...

Winegard Pathway X2
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't notice any lag time when changing channels on my Tailgater... Since I use the 211k at home I just take it with us in the RV when we leave. Don't even have to call Dish unless we want new locals for our new location.... I only advise on whatever you decide is if you buy from Camping World I would pay for the 3 year warranty...
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The X1 will not be able to do both E and W as the X2 can. It will be substantially smaller than the X2 but it cannot do quite as much. It will have a smaller internal antenna and it also will also cost about $50 more than the X2. Very small, however, and should still make a really nice compact portable.
There will also be a new antenna in the same housing that will replace the Winegard Carryout. It will work for DirecTV or Dish without the 211K/Z limitation and can be used as a Carryout, roof mount or installed on the ladder rack. The X1 and the new Carryout out (Mini Carryout?) is about 14" wide and a bit over 14" tall.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Attention please...

In my opinion, (and many others too) the Winegard Pathway X2 is a MUCH BETTER antenna.

It cost a few $$$ more, but you get what you pay for in the long run. Amazon usually has the best price on it, and eBay has it too.

The Pathway has a larger dish and will connect on either the east or west satellites too, unlike some cheaper made brands.

Now, if you can hang on a month or two or three... Winegard is coming out with a new automatic antenna which will be fantastic. You can keep it portable, or mount it up top on your rig later if you ever decide too.

Winegard Pathway X1
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
jeff h wrote:
Thanks all.

So I guess the answer to my question is that there really are no other options. Go with Dish network and get the tailgater if U want automatic, or a cheaper one if I want to aim it every time.

DirecTV doesn't seem to offer anything comparable as far as I can see.

For part time service Dish is currently your only option. You are required to purchase the Dish receiver (usually a 211K or 211Z receiver) for around $100. However, you have several options for the antenna type you choose. The Tailgater by King Controls (King Dome folks), the Pathway X2 by Winegard or an antenna exactly as you would see on the side of a house which you mount on a tripod and assemble / disassemble and point yourself. The last option is your least expensive but requires the most amount of work. In general, the more you pay the less work you have to do.
Both the Tailgater and the Pathway X2 are fully automatic and do not require you do to anything more than run a cable from the outside antenna to the back of your receiver, turn it all on, click a couple of options and then sit back and wait for the antenna to find the satellite!
For service from DirecTV you need to sign a 2 year contract but then you get free receiver(s) and fixed location antenna setup (which you could convert to tripod mount).
IMHO, Dish would still be the service that makes the best sense for your particular situation.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from General RVing
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
My portable, manually aimed, Dish network 1000.4 dish and VIP211k receiver, plus the needed cables, tripod, etc, cost me about $250, including shipping. I have since upgraded the receiver to add on the optional DVR capability using an external USB hard drive, and the dish to allow use with both satellite arcs, for about $150 additional. I subscribed to a Pay-As-You-Go account with its no hassles on/off feature. It takes me about 15 minutes to set up and aim the dish using a satellite signal meter, although the receiver's built in aiming features can also be used, to save a few dollars.

Some drawbacks of the Tailgater are that it only works with the Dish western arc satellites, not the eastern arc, which limits your positioning options. It also has a much smaller reflector than the larger dishes like the 1000.2 or 4 or the Winegard Pathway or Carryout models, meaning rain fade can be more of an issue. The Tailgater is also limited to "seeing" only one satellite at a time, adding a delay when switching channels that are on different satellites, versus the larger dishes that see up to three satellites at once for virtually instant channel changes. The Tailgator is limited to use with only a limited few receivers, which limits your future upgrade options to higher end units like the Hopper & Joey models.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jeff__h
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.

So I guess the answer to my question is that there really are no other options. Go with Dish network and get the tailgater if U want automatic, or a cheaper one if I want to aim it every time.

DirecTV doesn't seem to offer anything comparable as far as I can see.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Check the dishformyrv.com web site. You can get a plan to pay only for the months you use it.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are cable customers, and use the Tailgater, cost about $450 to get the gear, but the Tailgater is self setting, it will locate the satellites.

"RV Package" is good only paying for what you use, turn on and off as needed. You need to have one months payment on you account to use it.

We like the easy setup and great reception.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a new Dish customer, they may dicker the price of the Tailgater down. We converted our house from Cable to Dish Network. And they sold us the Tailgater for $300.

If all you want the dish for is your RV, then they probably won't dicker too much.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.