cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sattelite Equipment left in rig

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
There is some satellite equipment in the rig I just bought, it is my understanding that the equipment belongs to the provider. There are two remotes a K band converter and the receiver with card. I don't plan on using it and want to get rid of it. Should I just take it to E waste disposal site, or give it back to the seller who obviously doesn't want it.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
15 REPLIES 15

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
MrWizard wrote:

You are not stuck with the bill unless you insist on activating it

And why should THAT make any difference at all ??

If person A bought a receiver in a legitimate retail sale and then used it to rack up a bill for service with somebody......and then sold the receiver in another legitimate retail sale to person B, that should have no bearing whatsoever on person B getting service with his used receiver.

This would be like telling me that I can't get water or power service at the house I just bought because the previous owner still owed money. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way with anything except taxes.

disprove the theory. buy one where the previous owner skipped out on a large bill, then explain your position to dish/direct and see how that works out for you.
bumpy ๐Ÿ™‚

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

And why should THAT make any difference at all ??

If person A bought a receiver in a legitimate retail sale and then used it to rack up a bill for service with somebody......and then sold the receiver in another legitimate retail sale to person B, that should have no bearing whatsoever on person B getting service with his used receiver.

This would be like telling me that I can't get water or power service at the house I just bought because the previous owner still owed money. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way with anything except taxes.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
The worst would be they refuse to activate it
And you are out the pocket the money for buying it

yes, more correctly stated than my post.
bumpy

MrWizard
The worst would be they refuse to activate it
And you are out the pocket the money for buying it

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
one issue with buying a used receiver is that if the previous owner owed a large bill and didn't pay, you are stuck with it.
bumpy

They might try to tell you that but I don't think it would pass the legal test.

Satellite TV companies HAVE to be the best at customer-NO-service of anybody on the planet.

how much are you going to pay a lawyer on a free receiver?
bumpy

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
one issue with buying a used receiver is that if the previous owner owed a large bill and didn't pay, you are stuck with it.
bumpy

They might try to tell you that but I don't think it would pass the legal test.

Satellite TV companies HAVE to be the best at customer-NO-service of anybody on the planet.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I own all of my dish equipment, it may not belong to the provider. you can call and see if you can activate it. one issue with buying a used receiver is that if the previous owner owed a large bill and didn't pay, you are stuck with it.
bumpy

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very nice collection of old Remote Controls in a box in my garage that don't go to anything.

I could cerainly add those you have to my very valuable collection.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I failed to mention that the date of manufacture is, 12-08-08. I figured it was so old that it would be useless. I think that maybe the folks we bought from didn't care about it. They had put new LED TVs in front and back and had a lot of junk with each TV. OOOOOOOLd VHS remotes, and remotes for stuff they had a long time ago.

I think I'll look them up at the next RV show and ask service provider then. Maybe it'll work.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:

Unless the previous owner bought the equipment outright from a service provider, you can turn the equiptment back in to get the deposit back from the provider. Otherwise donate it to Salvation Army.

Most mobile equipment is purchased and not leased. There might be a resale market.

Even if it is leased, they will not talk to anybody but the original lessee about charges or rebates.

AND they will not come to you to get it and instead suggest that you "dispose of it" how you see fit.

This stupidity applies to fixed locations too......and both major satellite providers.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
At least 3 years ago, even user purchased equipment DIRECTV considers "theirs", so they still lease it to you.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
At one time the receiver, remotes, and such belonged to the Service provider and was leased,, Today that is half true. Some (Both Dish and DirecTV) receivers are leased, and some are owned by the user.. All depends on the owner.

One of three things will happen IF you try to activate the receiver

1: If Leased, they may ask for it back, Your bill of sale for the RV proves your case.

2: If it was owned by the Prior Owner.. there may be a "Fee due" again your bill of sale proves it's not your bill.

3: They activate it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check if previous owners want it back, but I imagine they would have removed them if they took everything else they wanted out of the RV. If equipment is more than a couple of years old more than likely Directv won't issue return boxes to have it sent back to them. I still have equipment from them sitting in our garage.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
There is some satellite equipment in the rig I just bought, it is my understanding that the equipment belongs to the provider. There are two remotes a K band converter and the receiver with card. I don't plan on using it and want to get rid of it. Should I just take it to E waste disposal site, or give it back to the seller who obviously doesn't want it.

Unless the previous owner bought the equipment outright from a service provider, you can turn the equiptment back in to get the deposit back from the provider. Otherwise donate it to Salvation Army.