cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

star choice tv

frank-2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in southern Texas and having problems with my TV, I have star choice. Some people call that Shaw direct it doesn't matter what you call it mine is not working I'm wondering if anyone else is down in the Rio Grande Valley or even Florida is having problems could let me know. Thanks for any help
12 REPLIES 12

RDalr
Explorer
Explorer
To keep things simple, it seems that your receiver lost its configuration and programming. Normally, people start their system back home before leaving South. Then you plug in as soon as possible to maintain the configuration.
Here in Florida, people can still be supported by local techs. Suggest you locate a tech familiar with Shaw, so that your receiver can be re-initialized. Good luck

Rick

RDalr

billb1
Explorer
Explorer
I leave 2 - 505's in the RGV when I go North for the summer. I did upgrade to the triple LNB at home but not in the RGV. As a result the 505's were never reprogrammed for the new LNB.

When I got here this year I had to refresh the 505's which I did using the internet. That got them working fine.

Hope you get yours working.
BillB
2000 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1 Ton Diesel, 4.10 axle w/limited slip, auto trans.
2000 Real Lite Truck Camper

GLaidlaw
Explorer
Explorer
OK If they have the same lnbf as you -this is critical- if it is a new system it will probably be a triple, (if theirs is different from yours you can't check doing this method)try connecting your receiver to their dish. If it works, then your dish is the problem. If it does not then your receiver may need a refresh. Their are extra posts to connect to at the dish- just need coax and a power source for the receiver. By the way- which receiver are you using- a 600 series?

You could also connect their receiver to your dish and see if it works. Again, if it does then it is your receiver. Just try different strategies to eliminate possibilities.

If this system worked last year, then I feel it is either:

misaligned dish- they can be tricky- post must be vertical and receiver on the right channel- I think 252 for a triple- I don't use this since I use a First Strike meter which does identify the satellite.
receiver has lost its program and needs a hit.

The big difference from Shaw to Bell is that the lnbf is matched to the receiver by Shaw sending the correct mapping info to the receiver. Different lnbf's need different codes. They sell you a matched system. The problem arises when you try to hook up a receiver to an older dish with a different lnbf.
Also - using the receiver to align the dish is a snap with Bell- much more challenging with Shaw- it will work but needs patience. This is why I bought the meter- takes about 3 minutes to find the sat.
If you use a generic meter- you could be on the wrong sat as well.
Keep trying. There is a learning curve but worth it when it works. I practised at home before I left to make sure I could do it.
good luck. Hope this makes sense.

frank-2
Explorer
Explorer
GLaidlaw
I have set this up many times in this is the first time that I get nothing. We only use Shaw direct three months of the year and I use a tripod . I also have a little meter that beeps when I'm getting a good single but it does not tell you which satellite you are bringing in there is a couple across the road who has Shaw direct and they are from Nova Scotia and it is working but they also use it at home and they had to get their receivers reset that's about all I know, I don't know what else to do. I'm just about ready to give up once again. Thanks for everything-here is the zip code --78574

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
With Bell I can pretty much look at my watch and the position of the sun and get the dish pointing at the satellite. I've done this many many times.

I have Shaw Direct now too and I have a great deal of difficulty pointing the dish properly. It seems VERY sensitive. You also have to tune the receiver to the correct channel to point the dish (unlike Bell). I've only done it 5-6 times now and it has been a struggle every time - but it works.

GLaidlaw
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to try- look around the area for a Shaw dish on another site and ask for help.
I helped a few people set up their dish since I have a meter when I used to go down. Most people who have used Shaw for awhile are fairly adept at setting up their systems. Right now I am up in On where we have snow and expected freezing rain. This after the major one over Xmas. Enjoy the RGV.

If you have the auto systems on the top of a motorhome- I can't help since I have no knowledge on those systems. I have only used the manual setup with a tripod.

GLaidlaw
Explorer
Explorer
On re-reading your post-

Did you leave the dish in the RGV? If so it is probably ok unless it got moved slightly.
Was the receiver disconnected while you were in Canada. If so it has definitely lost its authorization.
Did you reactivate your programming before heading south since you use Bell up here.
If so, it may just need a rehit to activate your programming.- you can use the internet- I believe.
Check the Shaw site for this.

Again- Shaw is now unable to help you if you are in the USA.
This has changed since last year when they were very helpful.

Macktee
Explorer
Explorer
Are you using tripod or do you have a auto find. Have you changed any
software or anything else since last year. Has it been working at all this year. I wouldn't tell them where you are when you phone them. I don't think anything would happen but just in case. I also would go into the system and do a diagnostic. Macktee
04 Monaco Dynasty Diamond 1V ( Homer II)
2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab towed
2013 Cargo Mate 28ft enclosed car hauler
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
2010 Club Car Golf Car

GLaidlaw
Explorer
Explorer
If you call them, you must figure out some way that they do not realize you are in the USA. If so, they will not help or so I am told.

Is your program package activated all year long or do you activate it before heading south?

I still do not have enough information.

Did you bring the entire system with you- receiver, dish etc.
Did you set it up yourself?
Do you get the green light on the receiver when hooked up to the dish or is it red? Green means it sees the satellite- red is not good- no satellite seen- usually a dish out of alignment.

I believe that if you get a green light- it is software problem if no picture.

frank-2
Explorer
Explorer
I want to think everyone for the quick reply. I do not use Shaw at home I use Bell I went to Shaw last year because Bell does not work when cross the border. I'm in the Rio Grande Valley and last year it work. Excellent I only subscribe to shot for three months but for some reason I get no satellite strength what so ever and last year I had no problem whatsoever in as far as the LMB I have for . I think it is a dual LMB once again thanks for your help I will phone them tomorrow

GLaidlaw
Explorer
Explorer
In order for Shaw to work you need:

-exactly the same lnbf as the one you use at home as your receiver is set up for that. If you have the new triple head at home and the older dual in Texas- it will not work. Shaw used to allow you to reprogram your receiver but that is proabably not so anymore if you are in the USA.
-the other possibility is that the dish is not pointed correctly.

You will need to provide much more information for a correct diagnosis.
-do you receive Shaw at home?
-did you upgrade to the triple head at home?
-is the present dish left in the USA or in the RV unused while at home?
-is it using the older dual head?
-did you bring the receiver which was working in Canada with you and is it the receiver presently not working?

According to others, Shaw does work in the south- but you will not receive the new G satellite with all its programming as its footprint does not cover the States.
You will receive the older 2 satellites as in the past.

M guess is that either the dish is not pointed correctly or you have a mismatched lnbf.

Hope this gives you a direction for diagnosis.

Good luck.

Macktee
Explorer
Explorer
In AZ and working great. When did your troubles start. What set up do you have. ( Auto find, etc.) Macktee
04 Monaco Dynasty Diamond 1V ( Homer II)
2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab towed
2013 Cargo Mate 28ft enclosed car hauler
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
2010 Club Car Golf Car