cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Straight talk zte z288l hotspot experience

Skylark
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have experience with the new straight talk Verizon 4g lte hotspot. Thanks
62 REPLIES 62

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
It's easy to get good customer service from Straight Talk. Simply go to their website and find their chat button and click on it. In a short time they will come online and help you get it working. ....
That worked for me too. I had one issue with a PIN not being applied and the chat mode took only about 10 minutes to resolve the issue. (would have been less but I type slow ... )
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Since you brought up an old thread, let me say...

It's easy to get good customer service from Straight Talk. Simply go to their website and find their chat button and click on it. In a short time they will come online and help you get it working.

I've had excellent service out of my hotspot.

I guess patience and a good attitude goes a long way.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered the ZTE 288L through Walmart.com. The hotspot came unactivated. I returned to Walmart and they tried to activate it by taking it as return and reselling it to me, but the system did not prompt to scan the activation code. The store manager (very helpful) spent nearly an hour on phone with Straight Talk without success-in fact complete runaround. At that point I returned the hotspot for a refund. The manager thought because the 288 was not a normally stocked item the system did not accommodate the activation-and Straight Talk would not help.

I may look into buying another 288 hotspot in a store that normally stocks it. Which looks to be about 60 miles away. But I caution about activation on Straight Talk hotspots purchased from Walmart.com unless you're willing to drive to store which normally carries the product. At that point there is no good reason to buy it online.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Verizon MiFi and just go online to check my usage. Have never called them.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
1985air345 wrote:
I refilled my ZTE 288L with 5GB. The Straight Talk website shows a balance of 0.0. I called ST and the agent said I had the full balance but that for "this device, the balance was not available" at this time. The only way to find the balance was to call into ST's call center. Anyone else with the Z288 having that issue?

This is quite normal for the Verizon 4G network. Verizon MIFI customers have the same complaint, and must call Verizon to determine how much of their monthly allotment they have used. Verizon has set it up this way because if you are a Verizon data customer and go over your allowance they start tacking on outrageous charges per gigabyte for the excess overage. Since you are pre-paid, when you reach your limit they can't charge you, so they cut your service.

1985air345
Explorer
Explorer
I refilled my ZTE 288L with 5GB. The Straight Talk website shows a balance of 0.0. I called ST and the agent said I had the full balance but that for "this device, the balance was not available" at this time. The only way to find the balance was to call into ST's call center. Anyone else with the Z288 having that issue?
Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20' Motorhome
ViewRVs.com
Fred's Airstream Archives

1985air345
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick follow up on my ZTE Z288L (red map/Verizon). I traveled through western Maryland today and the Z288L had good coverage all of the way through from Morgantown, WV to Hagerstown, MD. I tested the speeds (while my DW drove) and it kept steady with the 5 mbps download and 2 mbps upload that these units seem to be throttled at.

This was an important test for me because my old Straight Talk phone (Verizon, red map) was on the Verizon pre-pay network and totally lost coverage between Morgantown, WV and Frederick, MD. I was concerned that the ZTE 288L hotspot may also drop out in that area. I do travel through this area often for work. I also can't wait to fire up the RV and spend time in the Maryland mountain region and not just drive through it!
Fred H.
ViewRVs.com

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Mama wrote:
.... So since I have the ST 3G hot spot there isn't any reason to get a newer 4G model as it won't work any better than the 3G I have??
When it works the 4G is a little faster than the 3G hockey puck. (well, it looks like a hockey puck!)
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Duramax1 wrote:
StraightTalk confirmed to me that they do not have a 4GLT data plan available, only 3G. So basically you are buying a 4GLT capable device but you are unable to purchase a plan that will take advantage of that capability.

So since I have the ST 3G hot spot there isn't any reason to get a newer 4G model as it won't work any better than the 3G I have??
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm an ex-Millenicom refugee and I picked up the Verizon plan that was offered to us when Verizon stopped supporting Millenicom. I use Straight Talk as my phone provider, running on the Verizon network, and would switch to their (Verizon) MiFi in a heartbeat if it was worthwhile. But not now - too big of a step backwards IMHO. I'm hoping that within a year things will improve. I'm going to monitor this thread with high hopes !

Tim

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Duramax1 wrote:
StraightTalk confirmed to me that they do not have a 4GLT data plan available, only 3G. So basically you are buying a 4GLT capable device but you are unable to purchase a plan that will take advantage of that capability.

In Canada that may be true, in the USA it is 4G LTE heavily throttled to 5mbs down / 2mbs up.

Duramax1
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD DA LTZ
2009 Sundance 2900MK

1985air345
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have two ZTE Z289L (blue map/AT&T) that are paper weights!

I found the ZTE Z288L (red map/Verizon) at my local Wal-Mart. Since I need a hotspot for my RV trip in May, I decided to pop and buy the 288L.

I set it up tonight and it runs very well. I did get similar speedtest results (4.98 down, 2.27 up) which is faster than the hotel I stay at and certainly suitable for my needs.

It does work with my company VPN so I can work remotely using the hotspot! So far, I am pretty pleased with the performance of the Z288L.

It DOES NOT have the data balance meter like the Z289L had so I guess I'll have to monitor it online. Everything else was pretty much the same.

Now I am just going to watch for reviews of the Z289L and see when Straight Talk gets that fixed. I'd prefer to run in the RV with both (AT&T and Verizon) just to be sure I have a connection since I'll be working remotely.
Fred H.
ViewRVs.com

Explorer
Explorer
This is long, so first a summary.

The good: Verizon LTE for $10.31/GB, a la carte. Good hardware that works well with a Wilson Sleek 4G-V.

The bad: Straight Talk customer service, no on-network activation or refill, no easy way to monitor usage, erroneous cutoff, permacookies.

The meh: throttling.

The long story:

I bought a Straight Talk ZTE Z288L Mobile Hotspot in 2014 November from a Walmart in Alexander City, AL. I had to phone several Walmarts to find one with the right model in stock.

It's not possible to activate from the hotspot itself, nor is it possible to buy more data from the hotspot itself once the data have run out or expired. One must get Internet access some other way, or phone customer service. Verizon on-network activation and refill is clearly possible, because the iPad does it, so it's very annoying that Straight Talk can't. After the data expire, the hotspot shows LTE as unavailable, so it's not even possible to use the hotspot to check LTE signal strength.

I was able to run a speed test on the ZTE and a Millenicom Pantech MHS291LVW from the same location and only a few minutes apart. ZTE: ping 60 ms download 4.98 Mbps upload 2.08 Mbps. Pantech: ping 53 ms download 19.91 Mbps upload 10.95 Mbps.

This is consistent with very heavy-handed throttling, but for my purposes Straight Talk is fast enough.

When I log in to the Straight Talk web site and check my balance, it always says "Data: 0.0 MB of Web Browsing" regardless of how much data I've actually used.

I bought 4GB of data, advertised as expiring after 60 days. Exactly 30 days later, every web browsing attempt redirected to http://www.datareplenish.com/bbportal/vendor/processPleaseWait.do which said "We apologize but at this time your data services has been exhausted." Because I used a single computer running SurplusMeter (on OS X), I knew exactly how many bytes I had used (about 1.5GB).

Straight Talk offers customer service by email, chat, and phone. I first tried email. The reply I got was to reset the ZTE hardware, and if that didn't work to contact them by chat or phone. I really did reset the hotspot, even though I knew it wouldn't help. Then I tried chat. After a long time searching for records, the agent typed "Please dial *22890." I had to explain that a hotspot can't dial anything. After a lot more time, the agent typed "You have to manage the configuration settings of the device." and then disconnected before I could explain that the configuration was fine.

So I phoned customer service. I explained the problem, and a very polite man told me how easy it was to run out of data streaming video, and did I have a WiFi password (yes, very long and random). He offered me 1GB as a one-time "courtesy," but I was unable to convince him that I had used only 1.5 of the 4GB I'd paid for. Eventually I asked for a supervisor, who reset something, and I had service again.

In a situation like that, there's absolutely no evidence that one didn't run through all the data. The customer service agent is seeing 0 on his or her screen.

In future, I think I'll only buy what I expect to use within 30 days. That's less of a pain than dealing with Straight Talk customer service.

Browsing http://lessonslearned.org/sniff shows a UIDH (permacookie). Verizon says it will be possible to opt out. When it is, I'll ask Straight Talk about opting out.

The ZTE hotspot works well. The web interface works with Firefox. It has a setting for "Short Wi-Fi Range" that saves the battery by reducing WiFi power. The hotspot fits nicely in a Wilson Sleek 4G-V (now a WeBoost). It beeps on each new WiFi connection.

Conclusion: consider a Straight Talk ZTE Z288L if you're cheap, don't need a lot of data, have data usage that can vary a lot from month to month, prefer prepaid to postpaid, can tolerate poor customer service, can monitor your own data usage, don't need really high speed, want access to the Verizon network, and don't mind having your web browsing tracked (or use a VPN).