cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3G vs 4G LTE

allenm
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I would mention something I just discovered. I have a Sprint WiFi Hot Spot, but I think this might be the same for any of the 4G LTE providers.

I'm spending the winter in a fringe or marginal LTE area with only 1 bar strength. Performance varies between great and poor with most things just taking too long to finish.

For some reason I decided to change my settings from Auto to "3G only" and discovered it consistently has 5 bars. Yes, it's slower than 4G LTE when it's working, but it's a lot faster than 4G LTE when it's just spinning its wheels.

Bottom line is I can get lots more done on 3G without the frustration of an erratic LTE signal.

Apparently, Auto doesn't immediately switch to 3G when 4G LTE drops out. It must keep trying for awhile.
2 REPLIES 2

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it should work on your Iphone as well... set to CDMA Only. We're currently using a Verizon hotspot on CDMA.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting. Not sure I have that option onmy Iphone. Will have to look. I have T Mobile and last weekend had to hike out of camp to get any usable coverage.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)