cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Streaming and Hulu and Verizon does anyone do this

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
and yet another question for the experts here. Appreciate your help once again. We are in a remote CG near many hills in Ossipee NH and only get ABC, which is fine as we don't watch much TV but would love to see some of the Olympics on NBC. We followed your advice and got the amplifier from SolidSignal, now we get one more old movie channel. So adding it helped somewhat but it is kind of frustrating. We got NBC but it kicks out after 2 minutes or so. We do now get one more 'old movie' channel. Someone recently suggested we stream the Olympics on NBC through Hulu. We have a Verizon jetpack and will obviously have to increase the data plan for the month of August, which is fine, but how much?

My questions are: does anyone stream on hulu with Verizon dataplan and how much do you use or suggest that we increase as we just want to download the Olympics on NBC. We only use about 1-3 gig a month currently.

How does Hulu work and any advice/what to watch out for when we discuss this with Verizon as we are total tech newbies. Thanks again for your advice and suggestions.
20 REPLIES 20

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
You are very welcome. I have the 3g one. It works great.
God Bless!

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
ventrman wrote:
AlmostBoatless wrote:
and yet another question for the experts here. Appreciate your help once again. We are in a remote CG near many hills in Ossipee NH and only get ABC, which is fine as we don't watch much TV but would love to see some of the Olympics on NBC. We followed your advice and got the amplifier from SolidSignal, now we get one more old movie channel. So adding it helped somewhat but it is kind of frustrating. We got NBC but it kicks out after 2 minutes or so. We do now get one more 'old movie' channel. Someone recently suggested we stream the Olympics on NBC through Hulu. We have a Verizon jetpack and will obviously have to increase the data plan for the month of August, which is fine, but how much?

My questions are: does anyone stream on hulu with Verizon dataplan and how much do you use or suggest that we increase as we just want to download the Olympics on NBC. We only use about 1-3 gig a month currently.

How does Hulu work and any advice/what to watch out for when we discuss this with Verizon as we are total tech newbies. Thanks again for your advice and suggestions.

I would suggest that you go to vzwmifi.com and either order the 3g unlimited hotspot for $5 Monthly or the 4g unlimited one for $35 a Month.

will definitely look into this, thank you kindness!

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
AlmostBoatless wrote:

I would suggest that you go to vzwmifi.com and either order the 3g unlimited hotspot for $5 Monthly or the 4g unlimited one for $35 a Month.
God Bless!

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
I stream video (mostly Netfix) 6-8 hours a day. My streaming settings are for minimal data, roughly standard definition, and I use 4-6 GB a day on a 300GB/month data plan. Sometimes I binge watch, might go through 20GB in a day. One month, confined at home in depths of winter, I used 450 GB on my 300 GB plan, got a nasty notice from the provider. Fixed it by turning off HD option and changing viewing habits.

Watching the Olympics as streaming video, you aren't going to get very far with your data plan. You'll be lucky to get one day before going over. Size of the plan is off by maybe two orders of magnitude.

Cost of Intenet connections, for me, is a good demonstration of just how great a bargain is OTA TV, if they happen to be showing what I want to watch. Which is not very often.

I would be looking for the nearest sports bar, to watch the Olympics.

and the winner is the local bar room! haha! thanks for the succinct response!

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with tatest, and I would add that with either OTA or sat you can still record the events, either as you watch them or unattended.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stream video (mostly Netfix) 6-8 hours a day. My streaming settings are for minimal data, roughly standard definition, and I use 4-6 GB a day on a 300GB/month data plan. Sometimes I binge watch, might go through 20GB in a day. One month, confined at home in depths of winter, I used 450 GB on my 300 GB plan, got a nasty notice from the provider. Fixed it by turning off HD option and changing viewing habits.

Watching the Olympics as streaming video, you aren't going to get very far with your data plan. You'll be lucky to get one day before going over. Size of the plan is off by maybe two orders of magnitude.

Cost of Intenet connections, for me, is a good demonstration of just how great a bargain is OTA TV, if they happen to be showing what I want to watch. Which is not very often.

I would be looking for the nearest sports bar, to watch the Olympics.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
AlmostBoatless wrote:

I use a Verizon MIFI when on the road for internet, messaging, etc. As we only have a "dumb" phone we cannot receive emails, etc.

Thought I would pass on something I just discovered. Verizon offers a 15% discount on all wireless services to veterans, active & retired military, and 25% discount on accessories to same. It is not advertized and is not widely known.

One must provide proof to Verizon, which is no problem.

Any discount is welcome with the high prices charged. Other carriers offer the same, I believe.

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
If you have a computer, tablet, etc., you can download and watch in non-HD for about 0.3 gigs per hour.

guess this is it, that's what we'll do,thanks for this.

and thank you all for your advice and comments, appreciate it!

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Streaming TV can be VERY data costly with rapid high data draw. Also, if in a fringe area for getting a signal, you may keep stopping/disconnecting your video stream.

MrWizard
Gordon there is already a Thread about that
And it has nothing to do with this thread and the OP since he is not on an unlimited plan, and asked about data usage when streaming the Olympics
And Is going to pay for every single giga byte
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to add, Vzw plans to punish unlimited users going over 100gb/month, starting in August. They plan to automatically disconnect "abusers" from the network unless they agree to switch to the 100gb plan and pay overages above that.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
Much cheaper to go back to Solid Signal and get one of the huge deep space antennas and a tall pole--maybe $100 total. These antennas look like typical residential roof (yagi) TV antennas, but they are 20 ft long and 12 ft wide.

If that doesn't work, return the antenna and go to DishForMyRV.com and sign up for sat service on a month-by-month. $100 for the antenna, $100 for the reciever, $50 for basic service for one month and you can sell the antenna and reciever when you're done.

MrWizard
How much of the Olympics per night 3 hours ?
For hi def i would recommend the 100gb plan, I think that the is the largest available,
Idk the price, could be $299 ?
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a computer, tablet, etc., you can download and watch in non-HD for about 0.3 gigs per hour.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.