cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Streaming - Cell Phone to TV?

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
We have as DTV/ATT plan which allows DTV viewing on the smart phones.

Is there a way/device that would allow some sort of steaming from one of the phones to a dumb TV?
21 REPLIES 21

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I do and it works pretty well. I turn my iphone into a mobile hotspot. I have a dvd player that lets me connect to my phone's internet and Im able to stream movies from Netflix, amazon or HULU through my DVD player. Simple but does eat up data. I could connect my dish receiver the same way to stream shows from directtv. I have tried to use screen mirror but iphone is really picky about it and Samsung phones were buggy.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
While this isn't using the phone or other device as a hotspot, it does involve WiFi.

WiFi Direct is basically two devices connecting to each other using their WiFi radios without needing to be connected to any existing wired or wireless (WiFi) network. They make their own network between the two of them for the duration of the pairing.

When you set a Roku to use Screen Mirroring, it becomes an available device for pairing. It will pair in two ways...

>It becomes available on any wired or wireless networks it is connected to.
>It opens itself for a WiFi Direct connection.

When you tell your phone to use Screen Mirroring (Smart View in the case of Samsung), it will show any devices available for pairing on any WiFi network it is connected to, and it will also look for any devices available via WiFi Direct.

Once you see the device you want to pair to, tap it. The phone will then pair to the device.

If they are not on the same wired or wireless network, they will use their WiFi radios to talk directly to each other (WiFi Direct).

The phone streams the video to the Roku via WiFi, and the Roku sends the video to the TV via an HDMI cable.

Not all devices support WiFi direct. Some devices that support screen mirroring will ONLY work when connected to the same wired or wireless network as the phone.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
its not wifi hot spotting
the TV is not using wifi
the video is on the phone, received by the phone, displayed on the phone
and sent to the chrome cast receiver plugged into the TV

in other words, the phone is the player, like a DVR, DVD etc..
you could use a cable instead of chrome cast, it makes no difference

but you do need a video data allowance/plan on the phone, such as one of the binge or splurge plans

Correct. This is no more hotspoting than using a set of headphones, even a blue tooth set.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if this app is supported on your phone as we use iPhone. Tubio will cast to your TV if you have a Roku hooked up to it. Works sort of like Cromecast does except better. You can also stream current shows sorta like Playon but actually works. I really don't know all the details on the how to do it, that falls in the DW's department. It will suck phone battery so have a charger handy.

MrWizard
its not wifi hot spotting
the TV is not using wifi
the video is on the phone, received by the phone, displayed on the phone
and sent to the chrome cast receiver plugged into the TV

in other words, the phone is the player, like a DVR, DVD etc..
you could use a cable instead of chrome cast, it makes no difference

but you do need a video data allowance/plan on the phone, such as one of the binge or splurge plans
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Neal_B_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Neal B. wrote:
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

We have the same plan bundle with DirecTV and AT&T unlimited data. We where advised that we could Mirror our device to stream video. We have iPhone and IPads and we use a cable (see link) as mentioned to stream Netflix and Amazon Prime to our TV's. You can also use a wireless device called Apple TV.

Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter

If you have a android device it is easier as you can mirror your device to your TV, we used Chromecast when we had android devices.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

I have the same ATT unlimted data/Directv as you. I noticed you used Chromecast when you had android devices? How did you make this work? From my understanding the Chromecast has to have an internet signal but ATT will not let us use our phones as a hotspot.
Any ideas?

I suppose it's not possible
2016 Keystone Laredo 297SRE
Andersen Ultimate
2002 Chev. 2500HD Duramax/Allison/4x4

Neal_B_
Explorer II
Explorer II
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

We have the same plan bundle with DirecTV and AT&T unlimited data. We where advised that we could Mirror our device to stream video. We have iPhone and IPads and we use a cable (see link) as mentioned to stream Netflix and Amazon Prime to our TV's. You can also use a wireless device called Apple TV.

Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter

If you have a android device it is easier as you can mirror your device to your TV, we used Chromecast when we had android devices.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

I have the same ATT unlimted data/Directv as you. I noticed you used Chromecast when you had android devices? How did you make this work? From my understanding the Chromecast has to have an internet signal but ATT will not let us use our phones as a hotspot.
Any ideas?
2016 Keystone Laredo 297SRE
Andersen Ultimate
2002 Chev. 2500HD Duramax/Allison/4x4

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
I have an iphone and ipad. We take our apple tv with us in the MH as well as hotels. Plug it into the TV, and mirror anything on your idevice to the tv. Works great.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Whoah, lucky i came back to haunt this post. ramgunner and rich, you guys just made my day.

We are going for a two week stay at the duaghter's house in SC with the camper. We are going to leave the camper behind but take the genie back to the stick house.

We will be taking one of the Rokus with us to get this set up.

I have your posts printed for take along in the camper.

thanks again.

richk88
Explorer
Explorer
I do just as ramgunner explained except I use a firestick,I never tried with my roku but with the firestick it does not need an internet connection to screen mirror.
2014 Shasta Revere 27RL
Retired from pulling and went seasonal

richk88
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Don't forget how fast you will gobble up your phone data limit doing that.

if your watching dtv it don't count against your data
2014 Shasta Revere 27RL
Retired from pulling and went seasonal

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
To stream a Galaxy S6 to a TV, the TV needs a device connected to it that can mirror from the phone. A Roku can do this. In the setup menu, select Screen Mirroring and enable it.

On the phone, you want to use a feature called Smart View. That will let the phone stream your phone screen to the Roku, and Roku will display it on the TV screen.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Everything I have read says that the Samsung 6 model does not have MHL/HDMI output.
I think you are out of luck with that phone.
Shame since the older models had it.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes and no.. Since you ahve a "Dump TV' .. Well let me ask is it a modern Wide Screen with HDMI inputs and a USB port?

IF so and if your phone is the proper model and supports Screeasting. you MIGHT be able to use a Chrome Cast.... HOWEVER BEWARE.

I use a Chrome case for an hour a week.. It will not work if my internet connection goes downsince I'm streaming from within the LAN I should not need external internet but it does) so im' guessing it to Google which translates and downloads Or at least it uploads/downloads some This adds to your bandwith consumption.

If there is a Chrome case expert on here..... I'd love to know for sure.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times