cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

T Mobile wifi Phone with Verizon data coverage?

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if a T mobile phone (using Wifi) could receive a call on the Verizon network via a Straight Talk hotspot (with Verizon coverage that is better) that is connected to my MH wireless router. Hope that I explained that correctly.

A Tmobile family plan is cheaper for the 5 phones in the family. I'm not looking for a "this carrier is better than that carrier conversation"
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
T-Mobile smart phones can make and receive calls via Wi-Fi and they do not care who the Wi-Fi provider is So yes, you should be able to make a call over a Verizon HOT SPOT.

Due to a minor accident (Got wet) I just upgraded from an Samsung Galaxy S-III to and S-5..

The S-III if I ask it to search for service providers found AT&T and occasionally T-Mobile towers around 3-4 miles away.

The S-5 Finds a VERIZON tower.. Do not know if I can use it,, but it's there. (Also found AT&T) I know T-Mobile can use AT&T towers.. Not sure of V.

Not a fan of V.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 6.44" Sony Xperia Z Ultra that only works with T Mobile or AT&T so in January I started with T Mobile's $30 pay as you go plan with unlimited data and text but only 100 minutes voice calling. I then switched to AT&T last month to their $30 Monthly Unlimited Prepaid Plan that includes 30 days of Unlimited Nationwide calling, and Unlimited Nationwide Text, Picture, and Video Messaging but only wi-fi internet that works better for me since I am almost always near a wi-fi spot using our Comcast Xfinity wi-fi. With T Mobile half the time I had no phone service at my home.
Comcast wi-fi

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
dverstra wrote:
rekoj71 wrote:
MrWizard has it right. Some of the new T-Mobile phones are set up that they can use WiFi just like a VoIP type of service. The phone just has to be connected to WiFi to do it and it doesn't matter that the DATA is coming from a 4g hotspot from Verizon, as long as the data speed is fast enough.
I use T-Mobile cause they actually offer an unlimited 4g data plan and I can stream movies all day if I want, but yes I am usually near a city. I plan to do what the OP is doing and get a Verizon MiFi (or similar) to be able to have at least some data when in the boonies.
Remember though that if going this route to keep the calls short as the data is still being used fairly fast.

Yes,this is what I was thinking of. I like T Mobile Phone plans but would like a better coverage area when we are traveling. A hotspot on the Verizon network would accomplish that if the phone that I am using has wifi capabilities. I'm looking at a StraightTalk Hotspot because it is almost "pay as you go". Data expires after 60 days. There is no contract. The next time I travel, I just buy more data via email and enter the code into the account.

as i said-i have this straighttalk verizon hotspot. i use it for my computers. if you read the fine print on this hotspot device it says no talk. however you could link a phone to it for the data function but it says no voice. i would read the fine print at the bottom the the device

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
rekoj71 wrote:
MrWizard has it right. Some of the new T-Mobile phones are set up that they can use WiFi just like a VoIP type of service. The phone just has to be connected to WiFi to do it and it doesn't matter that the DATA is coming from a 4g hotspot from Verizon, as long as the data speed is fast enough.
I use T-Mobile cause they actually offer an unlimited 4g data plan and I can stream movies all day if I want, but yes I am usually near a city. I plan to do what the OP is doing and get a Verizon MiFi (or similar) to be able to have at least some data when in the boonies.
Remember though that if going this route to keep the calls short as the data is still being used fairly fast.

Yes,this is what I was thinking of. I like T Mobile Phone plans but would like a better coverage area when we are traveling. A hotspot on the Verizon network would accomplish that if the phone that I am using has wifi capabilities. I'm looking at a StraightTalk Hotspot because it is almost "pay as you go". Data expires after 60 days. There is no contract. The next time I travel, I just buy more data via email and enter the code into the account.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2013 Honda CRV

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer

MrWizard
Tmo is a different cellular system

BUT internet VOIP is internet data

i'm not Clear on what the OP wants

but any data connection does NOT care what the data is

IF the phone can make calls via WiFi, connecting to TMO ? sever
then the straight talk data is the same as any other wifi connection
and should work
receiving ?? IDK the phone would have to be connected to the wifi all the time for TMO to know and route the call to that IP address
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
T-mobile as I understand uses a different system. Data is still carried over the cell network. So I don't see you saving anything and ending up frustrated because you get zero coverage on t-mobile unless your within 20 miles of a big city. Friend has t-mobile and gets lousy service at his house in town. Drop three of the phones or get 4 basic phones for everyone but you. Cut data amount or go to 5 pay as you go phones

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Two different systems but interesting question. I don't think so.

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
If your goal is economy look at the freedompop selection. I get unlimited everything on wifi but only 200 talk minutes and 500 messages with 500 mb of data on when on cell service for Zero dollars and zero cents. Phone is on sprint network when not on wifi.

I guess my goal is to have a less expensive family plan for 5 phones and good coverage on a hotspot while traveling without paying an arm and a leg.

2013 Honda CRV

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
i have the straighttalk verizon 4ghotspot. the fine print says it will do data not voice. surprisingly enough because i've researched this voice is done in 2G. it's data that is 3g and 4g

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your goal is economy look at the freedompop selection. I get unlimited everything on wifi but only 200 talk minutes and 500 messages with 500 mb of data on when on cell service for Zero dollars and zero cents. Phone is on sprint network when not on wifi.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

samiam3356
Explorer
Explorer
The phone when hooked up to wifi shouldn't care where the data comes from as long as it is getting in a timely manner to handle the call. I take calls all the the time on my Tmo phone on many different networks and wifi's.