Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

to control or not to control and Mono or Poly

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
So the question now that we are here.
existing set up is two group 31 agm batteries, all led lighting, 2015 fifth wheel with modern stuff. Panel is also unplugged at sunset and secured for theft prevention.
I have been running a small 65 watt solar panel when boondocking. the panel has a 25 foot cord that plugs into the typical power port installed at the battery location. I place the panel in the sunlight and move it along as the day goes on. I have never had an issue with over charging as there is always a draw on the system, pump light, lp detector, fridge, fridge fan, on and off pump, on and off radio and the use of a small 400 watt inverter for charging puters, phones, toys etc. I am upgrading to a 100 watt panel. why would i need a solar controller if i have a continuous draw on the battery bank? thoughts, ideas, tell me i am crazy etc. thanks in advance. Good Luck & Be Safe!!!
17 REPLIES 17

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
The controller regulates the voltage. A panel is not 12 volts. Its upwards of 17-21 volts.

You'll destroy the battery
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
The basic idea of a charge controller is so that you dont have to spend all your time monitoring power. The controller does it for you at no cost of your time.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess if you want to monitor the voltage all day that could work.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman