cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV on computer screen

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to be able to watch TV on a desktop screen; I have available an RF channel 3 or 4 output. I don't care about HD, using the computer as a DVR, or any screen or video capture. I'd like the TV image on the laptop to be resizable.

I know there's lots of devices that will do this, but I can't figure out which cheaper one will do what I want and do it well. It could be a USB or PCI-E device. Any suggestions?
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch
11 REPLIES 11

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
If all you want to do is watch, keep it simple. Get a USB TV receiver or HDMI converter. Been using a tv tuner in my computer for years. The ones with COAX in can likely accept cable, as well as OTA antenna input.

You still need a real time video capture device. Whether you just want to view it, and not record it is a moot point. Even if you intend to input an analog video signal, it needs to be converted to digital for it to display on your LCD monitor.

Click above to see a short 0:30s video example of the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR USB stick. Whatever device you select, you need to make sure your computer at least meets the recommended specs, not the minimum for best results.

MrWizard
daamac wrote:
MrWizard wrote:

.... If you mean....You have RF output from a tuner/converter box/cable box/vhs tape player, that is analog for older TV s
And would like to use that on a PC
Then you need an older analog RF tuner that plugs into the USB port on the PC

Yep, that's what I mean, except that USB or PCI-E connectivity would both be fine. It's just that there seem to be a lot of devices that claim to do that, and I'm looking for recommendations for something both cheap and reliable.

Thanks to all repliers.

look at Haupauge or K-World

i had good luck with both
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will not tell you how I do it but if all you want is to watech chan 3/4 see if you can pick up an old USB stick with software off E-bay.

If it is a desktop or tower (not a laptop) you can get a new TV as well. Most modern wide screen TV" have VGA computer inputs and SOME offer "Picture in picture" though I much prefer the USB solution.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

.... If you mean....You have RF output from a tuner/converter box/cable box/vhs tape player, that is analog for older TV s

Yep, that's what I mean, except that USB or PCI-E connectivity would both be fine. It's just that there seem to be a lot of devices that claim to do that, and I'm looking for recommendations for something both cheap and reliable.

Thanks to all repliers.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

MontanaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I use Roku, the cheaper one has RCA jacks...then just find a wifi sig and your good.
'07 301BHS FOR SALE
'07 Dodge 2500 w/5.9L SOLD
'96 wife
4 dogs
2 cats
10 rc's

Been pulling a trailer for 16 years
2013 camping nights: 16
2014 camping nights: 28!! Then tranny went out........

MrWizard
I'm not sure what you are saying
But
If you mean....You have RF output from a tuner/converter box/cable box/vhs tape player, that is analog for older TV s
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of these. It works well, and the price is right.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

I found a Haupppauge WinTV-HVR USB stick at Goodwill for $8. It does allow both HD ATSC over the air or unencrypted cable on my laptop. Great quality, and the video window is resizable. Has worked flawlessly.

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
Total media
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer