cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown Data Use

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
I am only marginally computer savvy, so I need some help.

I have ATT USB plug in for my internet access.

In the past few days I have noticed theta on my device and on my ATT on screen internet manager, there is a download and an up load going on on almost continuously, even when the browser is not connected. (it shows up load and downloading with a symbol)

It is using about 1GB a DAY in data!

How can I find out what is doing this and stop it?

Please keep your answers simple, for I am nowhere near a geek.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006
34 REPLIES 34

Sometime updates get corrupted, which can cause a continuous download loop in some applications. I also had a recent situation which appears to affect a particular version of Windows 7 x64, though I do have a patch installed. OS updates would not completely download, and would freeze the update install process due to what appears to be corrupted files. I suspect that the issue was caused by a particular API that is commonly used to filter web traffic.

The fix was to close or uninstall the application when downloading updates. But also had to clear out the previous downloaded updates and indexes, and let Windows rebuild it to allow it to re-download the previously corrupted files.

The question may be what caused the downloaded files to be corrupted in the first place? Which assuming its not on the network side, can potentially include any application that filters web traffic data, such as firewalls, AV software, network monitoring apps, etc.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:

-- snip --
They suggested it was likely that a program was constantly updating for some reason. I think they were right.

I had a similar problem a few years ago and I solved it by turning off all automatic updates.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Shut off some programs? Could you give us some details? Did AT&T help for did they just confirm whatever you did worked?

OP here: I do believe it was my anti-virus program constantly updating database files, as I saw hundreds of files that were part of the anti virus program.

As I have no absolute proof, I will not name the program, but it is a popular, well known program costing about $70.00 per year.

When I get to a place with decent, and free, wi-fi I will uninstall and reload the program. Right now, I do not have a lot of data left in my allowance.

Did ATT help?, Yes, sort of. I spoke with the technical department. They checked my usage and confirmed that it was not my device, but the data use was happening.

They suggested it was likely that a program was constantly updating for some reason. I think they were right.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shut off some programs? Could you give us some details? Did AT&T help for did they just confirm whatever you did worked?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
PROBLEM SOLVED.

I shut off some programs, called ATT technical services to check my modem, and all is good again, other than I "lost" about 2 GB in this fiasco.

Th only problem is I don't know exactly what I did, but glad the problem is solved.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

You are the best.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
jcpainter wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
You can download and install then run NetWorx which is a freeware program and track the data usage by application daily to see what is eating your data. I have NetWorx monitoring my data usage to see what is using what on a daily basis.

Larry

What is the difference between Networx and Networx Portable? When do you use which one?

I have NO IDEA:h I'm pretty sure I have just the Networx and not whatever the Portable is since I'm running it on a LAPTOP. The only quirk that I can tell is that it doesn't monitor the data use thru like a HOTSPOT on your computer or at least I haven't found out how to see that usage with it. I run my LAPTOP as a HOTSPOT to connect our IPAD to via WIFI when internet access is needed.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Install NetWorx on you computer, or download portable to a USB flash drive stick. I use the NetWorx version.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
You can download and install then run NetWorx which is a freeware program and track the data usage by application daily to see what is eating your data. I have NetWorx monitoring my data usage to see what is using what on a daily basis.

Larry

What is the difference between Networx and Networx Portable? When do you use which one?

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
THANKS for the NetWorx link... it works great.Took me a few minutes to find where to turn the applications on, but I got it.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two busiest users of the Internet connection on my PCs, when I'm not streaming or actively browsing, are Windows Update and the antivirus/Internet security programs. Even when you decide on one AV product, others might install as part of a browser installation or update. In addition to Microsoft and your AV providers, the computer vendor could be running an update agent, and providers of add-ons (Java, anything from Adobe) are notorious for leaving update agents checking for and downloading updates.

There are also antivirus programs that go to a cloud service rather than running locally, or run locally but go to a server for signature data.

All of this without synching anything to a cloud data or backup server or a media sharing site. I'm surprised at how many applications have some agent talking to the Internet while I think the app is not running.

Laptops used to have a physical "network interface" (whether WiFi or wired) on-off switch, to help save battery power, but now you might have to do this from the control panel to disconnect.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Has the OP verified no data when devices are turned off? Agree with others. Sounds like a cloud backup. Skydrive? Google +? Dropbox? Carbonite?

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
That is a great start. Thanks for the super fast reply.

We do not stream anything, or file share anything, that we know of. No movies, TV shows etc. We do not use "cloud" services.

How do I find these "background" data uses and disable them?

Some of those things you really don't want to disable. You want AV and other security programs to update when they can. You need Windows updates.

A better solution is to disable the wireless NIC when not in use. This is especially true for laptops and tablets that get used on battery power a lot.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

MrWizard
Disconnect turn off internet
Access your firewall
Look for programs, processes trying to access the web
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s