cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wifi antenna ideas

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
I am wanting to put a wifi antenna/repeater on my 5er. I already have the router and omi-antenna. I don't want to use the 'USB Solutions' because I am a techy redneck and want to have multiple devices connected easily hence with a repeater I will create my own wifi network that I can connect to the campgrounds wifi.
With that being said I an debating over where and how to mount the antenna. I have seen some who have mounted it to their crank up antenna and fished the wire to a cubby up front. I really like that idea but I can see fishing the wire to be a little problematic. There is no access to the 'attic' between the antenna crank and the cubby. Especially with the thicker antenna wire I think this would be difficult but I'm still open for suggestions.
My second idea is to mount a pvc pole on the rear ladder with a second pvc pole inside it that I can use to slide the antenna up and down. This approach makes sense to me because the entertainment center is in the rear of the coach and that is where I would prefer the router to be located. My concern is if I use the LMR400 cable for the antenna to avoid signal loss, where do I store the extra cable when I retract the antenna???

I've been perusing the net searching for ideas and am just not sure which route is best. I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks,

Steve
'07 39' Pilgrim Open Road 5th Wheel
'18 F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
28 REPLIES 28

hoffnerc
Explorer
Explorer
I went with an Alfa36 Router, Alfa USB Adapter and Alfa Flat Panel Antenna. Very powerful and super easy to hook up and configure.

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
YEP. After experimenting a bit I have it set up and working like a charm. Now I just need to figure out how to mount my antenna.
As it is directional I am back to mounting it on a pole on the ladder. Prefer to be able to raise and lower it and definitely rotate it. Might just go with a 2 section pole that I just take off the ladder when not in use....not sure.

As far as the nanostation based on what I've seen so far it was the best $30 I've spent (Bought it used off of ebay).

Steve

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
4x4FF wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Steve,

I use 192.168.10.20 for the NS2 & 192.168.11.21 for the router. Just pick some guffy numbers for the "C" & "D" locations. IE 192.168.XX.XX
Just incase you missed my response to your PM. Here is the NS2 set up again.

Richard

Thanks Richard,

I actually had it set up and working great at home. Then last night my home router bit the dust and I had to slip my wrt54g in its place. My question was more concerning the ip from the nano to the WAN on the router. Do you use static or DHCP??

Steve

DHCP
I think the instruction set notes DHCP
Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
Steve,

I use 192.168.10.20 for the NS2 & 192.168.11.21 for the router. Just pick some guffy numbers for the "C" & "D" locations. IE 192.168.XX.XX

Richard

Thanks Richard,

I actually had it set up and working great at home. Then last night my home router bit the dust and I had to slip my wrt54g in its place. My question was more concerning the ip from the nano to the WAN on the router. Do you use static or DHCP??

Steve

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
scroll to #40 for setup procedure for the Nano.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want to "Extend the range" of a simple "Finger" type antenna (rod that sticks up) there is an interesting way... I use it, it works

go to http://amaturlogic.tv

Download and watch Episode 3 (I believe there are over 100 episodes, but Ep 3 is the one you want)

Now,, i did NOT modify the "Finger" (the Linksys antenna) so if I remove the juice can it's 100% origianl, but basically this is what you do.

Get a can of Grape Juice; Enjoy contents, Remove one end with can opener.

Drill a hole (George tells you where to drill) and insert a rubber grommet in hole.

Stick antenna "Finger" in hole, and point the open end toward the router's antenna (The park's router) seriously increases range.

Should work with the Wi-Fi Ranger, and if done the way I did, 100% reversible so you do not affect warranty on your electronics.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

kpratte
Explorer
Explorer
I've done similar things to what RLS7201 did..

I have a WRT54GS for local WiFi which has it's WAN port connected to a Picostation M2HP which I use to connect to the campground.

So, the WRT54GS is setup like a home access point, clients connect to it and it's WAN port is the Internet (Picostation). I used some 172.16.x.x IP addresses so as not to conflict with a campground that used 192.168.x.x. But you could easily use 10.x.x.x.

When I get to a campground, I pull out my "kit" and plug in the power adapters and put an antenna on the Picostation. I then take my tablet and connect to the LAN side of the Picostation and login to the web interface and then I select a wireless AP on the campground to connect to based on signal strength and apply the settings. Then it works.. ๐Ÿ™‚

I stayed away from the wireless repeaters because for the most part all they do is slow things down and clog the airwaves.

There was a question about IPs. Here is my setup:
WRT54GS - LAN - 172.16.56.1
........- WAN - 172.16.57.2, Gateway 172.16.57.1
Picostation - LAN - 172.16.57.1
............- WAN - DHCP (I get an IP from the campground)

The Picostation is configured as a wireless client otherwise known as WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider) client with the Router and Firewall enabled. The WRT54GS is configured as a normal Access Point (AP).

My setup cost me $75 for the Picostation, $10 for a 9dbi omnidirectional antenna and I had the WRT54GS left over, but you could get a wireless router for about $30. I've run Tomato on the WRT54GS till recently cause I had some weird problems, so I'm going back to DD-WRT and see what happens. So far very happy with the Picostation.

- Ken
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7 CrewMax Platinum, TRD Swaybar, Timbrens
2012 Keystone Sprinter 272BHS
Reese DC Sway, Fastway Flip, Tekonsha P3
Yamaha 2400iSHC Generator

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The external antenna for my WiFi Ranger setup is connected and powered via ethernet that runs through the wall of my RV. I wouldn't drill a hole in the roof - drilling through the wall was simple.

Darrah
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a Powerlink II wifi booster/antenna should have it this Friday.
So I was wondering how most of you connect USB port from the antennas to the repeater? Since most have a Ethernet connection on the repeaters.
Pat (human I think.)
2015 MyPod by Little Guy.
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
4x4FF wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Here is the way I did it.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23833682.cfm

Richard

Ok, so if I understand correctly, you use the nanostation as an antenna. It is connected via an Ethernet cable to the wrt54g which acts as a repeater and provides your 'local' wifi access. Maybe I missed something but what powers the nanostation?

How is the nanostation holding up to the weather?

Steve

The NS2 uses Power Over Ethernet (POE). It comes with a POE inserter. 120 AC volts to 12 volts DC. Set it aside and build your own POE inserter that uses your RV 12 volt system.

Another interesting note.
The NS2 has a highly directional flat panel antenna that is driven with 400mw. It also has auto polarity for maximum signal strength.
A 400mw directional antenna will outperform a 1000mw (1 watt) omnidirectional systems all day long.
Also, with some systems there is coaxial signal loss. No coax, so no signal loss over long distance cable runs. Cat5 is good for about 300'.

The NS2 is weather tight as long as it's in the upright position. Because mine is horizontal when stored, I sealed the bottom cover and entrance way for the cable.

Richard

Ok Richard,

I have my equipment set up at home similar to yours. I have a few questions for you about how you configured the settings on the nanostation and on the linksys. I know the nanostation will plug into the WAN port on the linksys. How are your IP's configured??

Steve

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
OK all these ideas have me thinking. PoE is an interesting idea. Same with the NS2 on the roof. But I am thinking cheapskate and how can I get the hardware I already have to work.

I stumbled across a thread on another non RV related forum about weatherproofing a wrt54g. The leading answer was to go to Lowes, HomeDepot etc to the electrical dept and get a plastic outdoor electrical box that it will fit in.

Here is where it gets interesting... maybe... when inside the trailer, you probably do not need the wrt54g to actually be inside with you, you will likely still get good signal a few feet away on the other side of the trailer wall/roof. The important part is the reception from the outside for the wifi you are trying to relay from.

So a variation of RLS7201's setup. You use a PoE Splitter/Injector pair (I happen to have an actual Linksys pair specifically for the wrt54g. Put the injector inside the trailer, connected to power but not connected to downstream network, you than run PoE/Ethernet cable from the powered port of the injector thru the roof to the PoE splitter to split off the power again to run the wrt54g, but again with no downstream network connected. You only use the injector/splitter to deliver power not network. You then mount the wrt54g and PoE splitter inside a weather proof electrical box directly to the roof or Antenna mast. If the box is not too big/heavy using tin screws to mount it directly to the antenna mast maybe the easiest solution.

OK maybe a little half baked, but suggestions, thoughts, improvements, criticism, laughter???
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
Well I just made a pretty good deal. I found a Nanostation 2, a bullet 2, and a 9dbi omni antenna, and 2 POE adapters all locally for $50 total. I realize I don't need both of them but now time to play..................hehehehehe. I like Richards idea better than mine with one subtle change. I still use my Winegard Antenna on the 5er for OTA channels on the TV and as the nanostation is directional I will mount it to a PVC pole on the ladder at the back so I can swivel to for the best signal.

Steve

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
4x4FF wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Here is the way I did it.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23833682.cfm

Richard

Ok, so if I understand correctly, you use the nanostation as an antenna. It is connected via an Ethernet cable to the wrt54g which acts as a repeater and provides your 'local' wifi access. Maybe I missed something but what powers the nanostation?

How is the nanostation holding up to the weather?

Steve

The NS2 uses Power Over Ethernet (POE). It comes with a POE inserter. 120 AC volts to 12 volts DC. Set it aside and build your own POE inserter that uses your RV 12 volt system.

Another interesting note.
The NS2 has a highly directional flat panel antenna that is driven with 400mw. It also has auto polarity for maximum signal strength.
A 400mw directional antenna will outperform a 1000mw (1 watt) omnidirectional systems all day long.
Also, with some systems there is coaxial signal loss. No coax, so no signal loss over long distance cable runs. Cat5 is good for about 300'.

The NS2 is weather tight as long as it's in the upright position. Because mine is horizontal when stored, I sealed the bottom cover and entrance way for the cable.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson